In support of the Hasiya

Bear in mind that one should not judge books by their covers. The Hasiya in the first pic is just as capable of hard work as the villager style models in the second and third pics. Let your own preferences be your guide. Whether polished or villager style, for use or display, all HI products are built to strict standards for toughness and usage. Highly decorated/inlayed specimens should not be used for chopping, as the shock of the work may dislodge or break the embellishments.
While this is mostly true Karda since I haven't used the sickle before I make my judgements and opinions based on people who actually use the tool. Then I buy it and recommend it as the best one to get.

I have never seen the top or bottom Hasiyas used as sickles. I have seen the middle type used and commented on as a great tool many times and presented solid information of that use. That is why I post my strong view for the second Himalayan Imports (HI) Hasiya. In fact the first Hasiya (see picture below) has been said to be of the tourist/export type and not very useable but as said I have no experience with it so I can not confirm that.
hasiya-2.jpg

If a person likes any of the three (3) sickles that is good (for use or display). I am just posting my view on the best one to use in field for practical use, which is my preference. Again everyone should get what they want but they should know what they get. I will buy the 2nd HI Hasiya/Aanchi if I see it at HI website or forum but only that one because I know it works and works well :thumbup:.

yeah but I do love that horn handled one and if you are into rituals or moon goddessing or something like that im sure it would be about a bossy a sorcerous tool as a girl could hope for ( druids support sickles right?) so ritual use is another fair point for a fancy blade,they do use them in the masons, various orders of silly hats, military orders, various religions etc -- I want a fancy blade to work , thats why i buy my fancy blades from HI, i mean if you fight a hundred battles with it, something is going to fall off, but I think the work is solid enough on HI stuff that you could fight with any of the fancy ones or use them as tools for the same amount of time as the normal ones, (granted you cant beat the jeweled engraved sheath on things, but steel should be the same )

but yeah I love you man, but putting HI and 'tourist blade" in the same sentence is travesty ! you must buy another khukri in penance-- I will buy that fancy hasiya and twice ( in fact one of my "fancy knives' was going to be a silver mounted bone handle hasiya in that style)

though I totally agree on your points , im adding the other uses of fancy blades

...but yeah I love you man, but putting HI and 'tourist blade" in the same sentence is travesty ! you must buy another khukri in penance-- I will buy that fancy hasiya and twice ( in fact one of my "fancy knives' was going to be a silver mounted bone handle hasiya in that style)

though I totally agree on your points, im adding the other uses of fancy blades
:) Thanks for your honest comments Gehazi. sweetcostarica is very frank, I call it as I see it with Himalayan Imports bladed tools and with other major brands. If anyone wants a reference to the "tourist blade" Hasiya, I can give it but I want to avoid this kind of thing and say, as I always have, I like to get the best tool(s) for the job and in my eyes that's "beauty of function". Like an oil painting by a master has beauty of function in the swirls of the oil, blending, mixing, and every stroke of the artist is seen clearly. The painting has beauty of function for the eye were the original is the best for aesthetics and a copy pales to please completely, it is a flat copy. An example of what I mean below.

Below Luncheon of the boating party: By Pierre Auguste Renoir

Luncheon-of-the-Boating-Party 1.jpgLuncheon of the boating party 2.jpg
"This painting depicts the joy of the middle class families of 19th century France and shows them relaxing on a balcony along the Siene river in France." The copy uses a photo of real people mimicking the famous picture by Renoir.

Sickle and other.jpg
Of course we are talking about sharp instruments used to make our lives easier and more enjoyable. If a person likes even a copy or a less efficient design it's their right to buy it. But if they want the best tool for the job then I'm with them. Whether I was in the Agricultural Revolution, in Early America, or a modern hiker/camper this type is the ONE to use from all I have been told, seen, and read about.

Last edited:
While this is mostly true Karda since I haven't used the sickle before I make my judgements and opinions based on people who actually use the tool. Then I buy it and recommend it as the best one to get.

Mostly True? Please point out anything I stated as untruth.

I have never seen the top or bottom Hasiyas used as sickles. I have seen the middle type used and commented on as a great tool many times and presented solid information of that use. That is why I post my strong view for the second Himalayan Imports (HI) Hasiya. In fact the first Hasiya (see picture below) has been said to be of the tourist/export type and not very useable but as said I have no experience with it so I can not confirm that.
View attachment 369574

Himalayan Imports does not make "tourist quality" product. It also carries the best warranty and service, before and after sales, something that any of the others cannot claim.

If a person likes any of the three (3) sickles that is good (for use or display). I am just posting my view on the best one to use in field for practical use, which is my preference. Again everyone should get what they want but they should know what they get. I will buy the 2nd HI Hasiya/Aanchi if I see it at HI website or forum but only that one because I know it works and works well :thumbup:.

Until you can make these claims thru actual comparative usage, your views are opinion based on others observation and/or usage. Just like your own, opinions will vary depending on user.

I am saying that I do know the quality and effort that HI puts into any model it makes and the buyer should do his own research and comparison of any product. I can state fully that the decorated hasiya is built to the same tough standard as the villager model, therefore will be just as usable in the same circumstances.

and yeah I believe that, that all the decorative and "fine" knives will be able to do the same jobs as any utility model, otherwise the "fine" blade is not really fine, its just trash, if it cant do the job it is not useful even as "art on the wall" -- because you can see the difference in steel thats been treated like its going to work and steel that was cut out by a machine to sell. I have a dhankuta style "custom" i posted a ways back, and it was made to be very small and especially light, the entire knife is only 13 ounces, and it will certainly chop brush or animals or people , or soft wood, ( though I think its a kobra style blade , so really just made for sticking meaty things) -- and it was abused by its owner , the woman my brother gave it too, she chopped stuff down with it , treated it like a normal knife ( thats another story, I got it back 12 years later by internet stalking and honest requests)-- it came back very very very used
And with a bit of polish its fit to go on display in a curio cabinet or a place of honor on the wall-- in the pictures you can see its missing a single pin, but otherwise after 12 years of hard use, it is still together, and i can say its tight and the edge is kept, the fittings are good , just the single pin is missing and she probably pried it out ;p-- I have to side with karda, the fine knives are the equal of any utility knife for whatever task they are picked up for , otherwise they would not be fine knives!

its just about how much you enjoy silver and bone !

Probably in how we read and interpret post but I did not read into Sweetcostarica's post any complaint on quality, just that he doesn't have first hand experience with the fancy one or the last one, only the middle one. So rather than share his "opinion" he's reserving judgement until such time as he actually uses one. I personally like that, a report on a blade one had never used isn't much of a report.
I don't think he's suggesting that anything HI puts out is not superior. Maybe you guys are reading it right and I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

im just rabidly defensive of HI ! and that is a fair point bawanna, but he is questioning the quality of "fancy" things in general, and im saying thats what divides the true quality from the souped up gimmicks, is that a quality knife is a quality knife despite its housing, and though its not gonna be used that way, it should be fit to be used that way, huzzah.

Karda said: "Bear in mind that one should not judge books by their covers."
sweetcostarica said: "While this is mostly true"
Karda said: "Mostly True? Please point out anything I stated as untruth."

I'm refering to the above common saying. sweetcostarica will answer in a 4000 words (using pictures).
saddam_hussein.jpgMother-Teresa-1.jpgmother_teresa11.jpgThe Scientific Fundamentalist.jpg
1st photo An evil old man, 2nd & 3rd a kind woman, 4th A good father

About the photos
1st Picture is of Saddam Hussein a ruthless dictator.
2nd & 3rd Mother Teresa in the 1920 and a photo before her death.
4th Women can tell which men make good fathers just by looking at them.
(Ref. You Really CAN Judge a Book by its Cover "Psychology Today"
Published on November 23, 2008 by Satoshi Kanazawa in The Scientific Fundamentalist)

I wish I was a rich man and had all the time in the world to compare every bladed tool ever made but I am just an ordinary person who puts his views here on this free forum. I can not afford to buy the many types of sickles out there and don't have the time to compare them either. This is why there are product reviews, user test, and destruction test by some hardcore users. These resources are what I use to come up with my views and opinions. Also please note I made a call to members who own the 1st Hasiya to show pictures or even better video of it in use for comparisons to the second one.

I think I know what your saying Karda and I'm not saying the "fancied up" Hasiyas are tourist models at all. I am saying I have heard that by a reliable source and if the Himalayan Imports (HI) Hasiya is decorative then it is not really for field work but best for display anyway.

Edit: The 1st fancy Hasiya maybe be a good model but think I would pick the rustic HI Hasiya/Aanchi in picture two called a villager. I hate to say this but it just feels right. No jokes please.

Last edited:
Karda said: "Bear in mind that one should not judge books by their covers."
sweetcostarica said: "While this is mostly true"
Karda said: "Mostly True? Please point out anything I stated as untruth."

I'm refering to the above common saying. sweetcostarica will answer in a 4000 words (using pictures).
View attachment 369646View attachment 369641View attachment 369642View attachment 369644
1st photo An evil old man, 2nd & 3rd a kind woman, 4th A good father

About the photos
1st Picture is of Saddam Hussein a ruthless dictator.
2nd & 3rd Mother Teresa in the 1920 and a photo before her death.
4th Women can tell which men make good fathers just by looking at them.
(Ref. You Really CAN Judge a Book by its Cover "Psychology Today"
Published on November 23, 2008 by Satoshi Kanazawa in The Scientific Fundamentalist)

I wish I was a rich man and had all the time in the world to compare every bladed tool ever made but I am just an ordinary person who puts his views here on this free forum. I can not afford to buy the many types of sickles out there and don't have the time to compare them either. This is why there are product reviews, user test, and destruction test by some hardcore users. These resources are what I use to come up with my views and opinions. Also please note I made a call to members who own the 1st Hasiya to show pictures or even better video of it in use for comparisons to the second one.

I think I know what your saying Karda and I'm not saying the "fancied up" Hasiyas are tourist models at all. I am saying I have heard that by a reliable source and if the Himalayan Imports (HI) Hasiya is decorative then it is not really for field work but best for display anyway.

Edit: The 1st fancy Hasiya maybe be a good model but think I would pick the rustic HI Hasiya/Aanchi in picture two called a villager. I hate to say this but it just feels right. No jokes please.

And I've told you before, your "reliable source" isn't as reliable as he likes to think he is.
When we are talking HI product you can throw your "reliable sources" opinions out of the window as he clearly has his own agenda and has proven his knowledge or lack of it many times over. As for your own opinion as you post on this forum, you will cease to continue as if you are an expert, because clearly you need to do much more research and have actual experience before you are accepted as one here.

It's hard to judge a tool by itself. Easier to judge a tool/task combo. Even easier to judge a tool/user/task triad.

One cool evening I had a soaked down sleeping bag and a Swiss Army knife. (Tinker model) Since the sleeping bag was not going to keep me warm I used the SAK to cut a large quantity of dry grass. I slept well.

It's hard to judge a tool by itself. Easier to judge a tool/task combo. Even easier to judge a tool/user/task triad.

One cool evening I had a soaked down sleeping bag and a Swiss Army knife. (Tinker model) Since the sleeping bag was not going to keep me warm I used the SAK to cut a large quantity of dry grass. I slept well.
Nice example Howard of the many factors that helps us live, survive, and thrive. I guess there really isn't such a thing as a "one tool option". It takes a lot more than tools (although important) to be successful in the wilderness. I have learned that the most important factor is Knowledge and the second is understanding how to use that knowledge as you demonstrated above Mr. Wallace.

Karda let us slow down and not get too serious about which sickle to buy. I like number 2 from my stated reasons, he likes No. 1 from his point view, and she likes the third Hasiya because it's cute. Thus the Hasiya/Aanchi is supported and that's the point of this free speech tread :thumbup:.

Oh, and I am with you on this one Karda: I, sweetcostarica am no expert. No way, no how. My views/reviews/videos are based on some practical use, a few years as a member of The Boy Scouts of America, lots of research that relies on others and their experience. I do get things wrong at times but this is happening much less with knowledge and understanding.

Below: The multipurpose sickle from around the World

Sickle Delhi.JPGSickle Billhook 4.jpgSickle Israel.jpgSickle China.jpgnepal-lady-with-sickle.jpg
A few examples: Dehli, India, Israel, China, and of course Nepal. Edit/Note: picture #2 could be considered a Billhook.

Last edited:
love the links costa showing the sickle in various cultures in modern use ! ,the tool is probably one of the oldest of the iron age, im pretty sure as soon as they got iron they were like "lets make a blade to cut down all this damn grass" -- and despite it seemed unproductive i find conversations like this interesting to read, though no matter what is said I will always rabidly support HI and the quality of all its products-- ( as my personal experience dictates)-- I am definitely buying the fancy "non working" hasiya when i get a chance, i want it to sparkle on a wall and when handled people can marvel at the sharpness of the blade ! my only regret is that HI doesnt work with setting gemstones.

Some gem studded scabbards have come through from time to time. Turquoise and coral are popular in Nepal and Tibet.

I will always rabidly support HI and the quality of all its products-- ( as my personal experience dictates)--
Hey, Gehazi I love to hear people say this, that they love and support their favorite brand because... of this or that. Himalayan Imports has had & have some great products. A giant loyal following of customers are buying their products because they are that good and fit their needs. Where I get into trouble is being a little too forceful in my point of view being a "traditionalist".

In any case listen to Howard pimp that sheath out and wear that Hasiya like a rock star :D.

well its not "i love my favorite brand" because etc -- I think the reasons Himilayan imports is superior to every other single knife company out there is very clear.

1. uncle and auntie, the personal devotion to dharma and good will within the company
2. The efforts of HI to improve the lives of those who work for them in nepal, rather than giving work to fat cat factories, they give work to low caste villagers and in a traditional way
3. There is not a single knife on the market from any company that even comes close to the work of HI, I have many samples and everyone uses machines to do the work to save money and employ fewer people -- HI does use some machinery , but most of the work is done by hand so they can supply livelihoods to those who work for them.
4. I will put any HI knife to any other , the pepsi challenge so to speak, the only armorer I even have the barest respect for other than HI is simon at raven armory.(and you will pay 20k dollars for a set of simon's work)
5. I think HI supports the traditions better than any other company that sells khukri's they provide these monster knives and provide traditional livelihoods for nepalese which is far more important than providing traditional khukris to outsiders :D
6. im sure they can make whatever kind of knife you ask for.

my numbers may be a bit vestigial but all im saying is that HI offers a product in a way that nobody does and nobody even attempts too-- we are ( I am) loyal to the company because it makes the best knives, everything else just reinforces that feeling of loyalty.

Hey, Gehazi I love to hear people say this, that they love and support their favorite brand because... of this or that. Himalayan Imports has had & have some great products. A giant loyal following of customers are buying their products because they are that good and fit their needs. Where I get into trouble is being a little too forceful in my point of view being a "traditionalist".

In any case listen to Howard pimp that sheath out and wear that Hasiya like a rock star :D.

Nothing at all wrong with "traditionalist". Traditionalist is very good. Variety is good too sometimes but not always.

3. There is not a single knife on the market from any company that even comes close to the work of HI, I have many samples and everyone uses machines to do the work to save money and employ fewer people -- HI does use some machinery , but most of the work is done by hand so they can supply livelihoods to those who work for them.
4. I will put any HI knife to any other , the pepsi challenge so to speak, the only armorer I even have the barest respect for other than HI is simon at raven armory.(and you will pay 20k dollars for a set of simon's work)
5. I think HI supports the traditions better than any other company that sells khukri's they provide these monster knives and provide traditional livelihoods for nepalese which is far more important than providing traditional khukris to outsiders :D
I disagree with 3 to 4 Gehazi and I hope since we are on a free forum and Americans I can express my view and experience here with out censorship.
From studying, buying, testing, and handling Himalayan Imports (HI), other Kukris makers, Philippine traditional makers, Indonesian big knife makers, Blades from Malaysian companies, and Australia, American, English, German Importers (names withheld because of HI Forum rules) I:

1. think some HI products are superior to some other similar products out there. That is so true :thumbup:.
2. For traditional Kukri products from my experience there are equals in quality, build & some better in the traditional design.
3. In the area of non-Kukri manufacture of other traditional blades there are many equals in quality and a few that are better.
4. A Pepsi challenge of traditional HI knives against other blades would be great I did the closest thing to this already with the HI BAS. I won't comment on the winner of that because I want the viewer to decide. But in reality there are too many factors that would negate the outcome.
For example you mention monster knives; many manufactures don't make monster knives because traditional societies don't use them except for butchering live animals. And the most important factor was said by Karda:
"...Himalayan Imports produces it's own style of product. It copies no one. HI has never claimed to make historically accurate reproduction khukuri. Those product we do sell that are patterned after historical khukuri are made to our specification and no one else."

He said this in response to others opinion about the usual heavier, thicker, and (I add this myself) tougher HI Kukris that are non traditional and not used in Nepal.

My words maybe taken as criticism and I might be attacked/flamed but in the way I see it and there's nothing wrong with HI Imports selling non-traditional Kukri. Why? Because that is what many people seem to want, i.e. there's a market for them. sweetcostarica has always said Himalayan Imports has the toughest knives in the world. They are over built and usually around two pounds in weight. I also have said for traditional blades (if you want to use what Nepalis use) get only certain HI models (early Foxy Follies, ligher BAS', Tamang Knives, KLVUK, for example). Traditional as defined in size, weight, and thickness. As long as the above is made clear we are all good.

I have had conversations with many people about this and the one that stuck with me was from a Swed. He said he uses his HI in the back yard for fun and loves it but for camping he brings the other unmentioned company (ies) blades for field work. I am not going to be arrogant here and say brand A is better than brand B, that depends much on your use of the blade. But I will say there are many other very good Kukri, Barong, Golok Parang, Parang, etc. makers out there with just as much love and care for their blacksmiths and families. We should and can support them all and enjoy life together.

Himalayan Imports is the best in their polish on the knives though, that's not arrogant it's clear. Only one Indonesian manufacturer famous for making Goloks comes in a close second.

I'm not an expert but the views above are honest and there's no agenda just the opinion of one man.

I hope since we are on a free forum and Americans I can express my view and experience here with out censorship

Some things all our friends should remember while posting on this forum specifically and on bladeforums in general:

1) Bladeforums has clearly outlined posted forum rules. AS the HI subforum is part of Bladeforums, each and every one of the posted rules also applies here.

2) As Bladeforums is a privately owned forum, and Himalayan Imports is a privately owned business. Members here do not have any rights nor expectation thereof of "free speech" in this forum or the site as a whole. Posting on either is a "privilege" and not a "right". All posters are subject to post or be censored as the owner/s or it's designated moderators wish, including the modification, editing or removal of postings deemed offensive or harmful to the site as a whole or to the business in general.

3) This is the Himalayan Imports Forum. Please post thoughtfully and respectfully in regards to it as a business entity.
I know Uncle Bill wished a lot of leeway for this forum, we wish to keep it that way, but we will consider stricter action as necessary to protect Auntie and her business from those whom cannot control their postings in the proper manner or push the limits thereof or stretch the limits of common courtesy or patience. Such actions could take the form of posting simple rules to the harshest of action, that of removal of the offender from the site as a whole.

also in reference to fancy blades -- they are as traditional as they come, seeing as a traditional use for knives and blades in all cultures is to represent the culture as a whole , and it is much the same with nepal, I reiterate, it is Far Far Far more important to use traditional methods of knifemaking than to produce "traditional" knives meant for people that are totally differently built than the steroid fed americans they market too.
H.I. is the best , they were the best 14 years ago, they are the best now, no matter how many people try to copy them, or steal their business there will always be people like me who recognize the difference between the Birgorkha factory and everyone else. and recognize the difference between people like bill and yangdu who tried to do more than make money with a company, they tried to bring good energy into the world, to give . and tons and tons of capitalist , soulless people fell in after them because they saw some honest people making money, and everyone knows that there is nothing that irritates the filthy rich more than someone else making a dollar.

but on the point of you having knives from all over and doing multiple super tests, i guess that just comes down to opinion because I have things from all over and see things from all over and think that the khukri by H.I is second to none, and if you asked someone to make you an H.I. khukri i bet they could try( and they do try , they try lots) but they will fail over and over again,because I can see every hammer strike shining in its polish. yet they have the quality and strength of a machine made blade and in most cases far superior--there is only one company that even barely compares and I have already mentioned them. american manufactures and other foreign forges do not compare, no matter the claims, no matter the loud noises, the kamis are still swinging on the glowing steel in nepal and turning out blades for people like me, because auntie and karda make sure they can make a life of it , On top of having a perfect Karma, they turn out steel with a soul, that brings out affection like few other inanimate objects ( ask any addict on this forum)

I am ordering more H.I knives right now for myself ! people like me will always exist to support them, and we can see through the fakes.(and wow so many fakes have popped up since 1999 )

the question really , is only , How many fancy knives can I order at one time?

Back