In the field (HI villager and GH Bhojpure)

I recently got back from a ten day camp with a group of five other adults and 32 teenagers between 15 - 18 yrs of age, conducted on a property between Cobar and Louth, NW New South Wales. While there I had a chance to do some work with a pair of khukuri's, a Villager from Himalayan Imports and a Bhojpure from Ghurka House.

On both khukuri's I had done some initial re-working of the handles, grinding the top off the butt-cap so it had a 'tear-drop' shaped profile as I found that the top would dig into my hand during use.

One of the main tasks was to trim and limb out several Currajong trees that surrounded the farmhouse. I have been told that the Currajong is similar to the Sequoia tree, with wood a little harder than pine. Both khukuri's performed very well at this. Using the Villager was a real joy, as it is quite light and easy to manoeuvre, using moderate force I was easily able to cut through branches up to 1.5cm (about half an inch) in diameter with one chop, and larger branches about twice this size with no more than three hits.

The Bhojpure, being about 3 inches longer and significantly heavier was not as quick to use but due to the extra length and weight, using full arm swings and a lot of force I was able to make diagonal cuts through limbs up to 4cm (just under 2in) in diameter with a single cut.

On both of the khukuri's I was using a solid grip, with my hand placed towards the back of the handle, I found a few spots on the Bhojpure where I will need to make a few more changes to the top of the butt-cap and one spot where the area between the first and second knuckle on my little finger rested as it was starting to create a 'hot-spot'.

The edge's of both khukuri's showed no sign of ware and still retained a very sharp edge.

The second main task was to butcher several animals.

PEASE NOTE: The animals involved, a young goat and two kangaroos, were shot for food and killed as quickly and as humanely as possible, I took the opportunity to try out these knives. They were not killed for the sole purpose of testing a knife.

I didn't have either of the khukuri's with me while doing the initial skinning and gutting of the goat, so we used the saw blade on my Leatherman supertool to section the carcase which worked very nicely.

Once back at camp I used the villager as a cleaver to cut the feet off the goat legs, the bones were about 1cm in diameter and I was cutting into a hardwood cutting board. The bones cut quite easily and on only one did I have to use more than one swing. The edge showed a small amount of ware in places and it took a few minutes with a pocket steel to bring the edge back.

I had the Bhojpure with me when I shot the two roo's (one a large male and the other a smaller female).

After skinning and gutting the carcases were sectioned, once at the base of the tail and then again about halfway along the spine.

In sectioning the kangaroos, the large male had a tail about 13cm (4.5 in) in diameter and the smaller roo about 6cm (2.5in), roo tails are very tough, with a very dense bone, sinue and muscle layering. To be blunt, most people use either a bush saw or a full size axe (usually taking 2 or 3 chops to cut through them), which is why I'm so impressed with the way this khukuri performed, doing the same job with only 5 solid hits.

After cutting off both tails and through the spines I found that the edge of the Bhojpure was badly chipped and dented, the largest chip is around 2mm deep and 3mm wide. I was not to surprised as due to time (it was getting dark) I was cutting straight through solid bone rather than finding and cutting through the spaces between vertebrae.

In spite of the damage to the edge I am very happy with the way the Bhojpure performed and once I have taken a few pictures (which I will try and post) I will work the dings out of it with a stone and return it to use.

Andre

Andre,

Thanks for the great feedback. I've never used a Khukuri on bone (although I think I should get some from the butcher shop to do some tests with - city folk, got to hate us). Could you send me/post some pictures of all of the action?

Thanks,

Craig.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Hi Andre,

Its nice to speak to a fellow Australian. I was just wondering if you had any problems ordering Khukuri's from overseas?

Did you have any problems with customs? Did you have to contact the Federal Police? Do you need a licence?

Please reply for I am intrested in ordering a Khukuri myself from GH.

Thanks

Regards

Matthew

e-mail is: Matthew19c@hotmail.com

Back