In the Search for the Perfect Knife- Few GSO models insight/comparison and survival knife ramble

Great job man, good posts. I really love all those knives you tested, they are definitely some of my favorites! I have a hard time choosing one over the others though. But, I will say the new spec 4.1 is REALLY growing on me! Looks like your gonna really enjoy the new 4.1, and get lots of use out of it.

It definitely was not a love at first sight i just enjoyed my old spec so much and if opportunity will present itself at some point hoping that old spec 4.1 will be in the collection. Just loved the simplicity of the handle.

Having both the new spec 4.1 and the 4.7, these are my conclusions as well. I have very large hands (e.g. palm a basketball) and the 4.7 is the more comfortable handle for me.

The 4.1 is still a spectacular knife, but the handle is a little thin for my size hands.

It is thin. Especially at the top I think it would benefit from another 1/8" thickness added. I guess that could be solved with some custom scales. Again, needs vs preferences. 4.7 is an excellent knife for sure.

I loved your reviews! Thank you for them!! I really like the new 4.1 shape and handle. I also agree with you on the 5, it's a beast for a small med knife but for that much weight I would rather have more blade like the 7/7. I've found that my perfect knife is the 5.1 with the new or old 4.1 3v as the second knife and my 7/7 as my backup. But my friends constantly accuse me of carrying too much gear!! I am looking forward to getting Guy's take on a bushcraft knife. That one might make me sell a few of my other bushcrafters, we'll see. Glad we have you as a Survivor!!

Definitely. 4.1 paired up with something larger like 5.1, 6, 7/7 or larger or axe would make more sense to me as well. Then again, we tend to associste "survival" with woods/forest adventures exclusively that's why for "all around" 4.1 fits my needs much better as woods are not the only place I plan to/carry the 4.1. I am glad that you liked that short write up.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts about your journey through the Survive knife progression.
I love the looks of the old spec knives but I love the feel of the new spec handles.
Whether you prefer the 4.1 or the 4.7 really does seem to come down to hand size. :thumbsup:
If I could get a "custom" GSO it would have the 4.7 handle with a much thinner blade, so I'm really looking forward to the GSO bushcrafter.

Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts about your journey through the Survive knife progression.
I love the looks of the old spec knives but I love the feel of the new spec handles.
Whether you prefer the 4.1 or the 4.7 really does seem to come down to hand size. :thumbsup:
If I could get a "custom" GSO it would have the 4.7 handle with a much thinner blade, so I'm really looking forward to the GSO bushcrafter.

It is not a complete journey thru S!Ks for sure as we are missing some other models that I'd like to try it at some point. I am very curious about the GSO6 as well as those 4.5s and such. I think original EDC4 was quite stunning as well. GSO 2.7 looks like a great little companion blade as well. Great stuff all across the board. Thank you

Nice write up and pics! They really are incredible knives. Ide love to get my hands on a 12!

For me the 5.1 is THE KNIFE

That's a good one for sure. I'm leaning toward blades without choils though as I never use them. At least for now :) But 5.1 is on my list to try out for sure. Love the looks of it. Thank you

Very, very nice, amikee amikee
I really enjoyed your writing and pics.

The old 4.1 sure was a popular model and I like mine, but the 5 really connected with me.

The new 4.1 and 4.7 both really are excellent. They're very similar, but in regards to overall dimensions and especially the handle I think the 4.1 is still trying to fit in the smaller side of knives kind of like an ESEE 4. It has a wide range of capabilities but leans towards being able to be carried more easily. The 5 and 4.7 seem like the smallest of the large knives without making concessions for concealment.

Nice write up, that was entertaining to read. I am still waiting on my 4.1 F2 and this isnt making it easier :D
I do regret not jumping on the 4.7 pre-order because the concensus here is the 4.7 has a better handle. Hopefully the 4.1 fills the void of missing out on the 4.7

Ps Amikee, although I agree that the old stonewash is aesthetically more pleasing, the peened finish apparently has the advantage with adding corrosion resistance and toughness.

Nice write up, that was entertaining to read. I am still waiting on my 4.1 F2 and this isnt making it easier :D
I do regret not jumping on the 4.7 pre-order because the concensus here is the 4.7 has a better handle. Hopefully the 4.1 fills the void of missing out on the 4.7
Just think, you won't feel guilty when they release the next batch of 4.7 in D3V! ;)

I'm glad that you enjoyed the read. As far as comfort goes...well, generally people say 4.7 is more comfortable due to slightly thicker swell, however comma 4.7 is also thicker and just bulkier overall so comfort is really something one must experience during handling them. Again, for my Medium-ish hands 4.1 is much better even though 4.7 has a more hand filling grip. My preference generally is for knives with slimmer handles. I find them more versatile and comfortable in variety of tasks. Think about your kitchen knives. I bet you wouldn't pick the heavy duty with thick handle one :) Good luck with whatever you decide. They are all spectacular and with so many size options you can pick and choose what suit you best. Thank you

Last edited:
Greetings All

By all means this will not be a comprehensive review nor it will be the ultimate advice on choosing the knife for you but more of a personal insight about some S!Ks that I owned and went thru as well as some philosophical rumbling about tools of survival and their characteristics. I am going to use a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest. Just please remember

Let me start by saying that I have owned quite a few knives during the past 23 years, a variety of steels, companies, custom makers to my own knives that I made over 400 in the past few years. Been a woods boy entire life and sharp instrument was always a part of the trips, walks, camping, etc. Good thing to mention is that I do wear M-L size gloves and would call size hands medium-ish.

Survive!Knives showed up on the horizon few years ago but due to several customs I owned at the time I did not give this company much attention. Production knives have never really appealed to me and besides some folders and Mora I have not bought much. Traded for some to try them out and handled a huge amount, but never considered them mine.

My first impression is going to be about old spec 3.5. Steel CPM20CV.
This was my first S!K model and it was an instant winner in my book. Nimble factor was there, light weight factor was there, excellent ergonomics for its small size made it just an amazing companion. I really admired the thickness/thinness of the blade and rather slim edc type handle that made 3.5 both pleasant to use and carry around. Yet, there was something missing. I felt that the blade size was not enough. Perhaps for splitting some sticks for the fire, perhaps for comfortable cutting/carving. Don't know. But it was not it although I did love this knife very much and playing with it was a pure joy.

GSO 3.5 old spec
Designation: EDC, companion, lightweight backpacking knife
Initial impression: 10
Feel in hand: 8
Blade lenght: 8
Blade shape: 10
Blade thickness: 10
Edge geometry: 8
Handle lenght: 10
Handle shape: 10
Sheath: 10
Carrying comfort: 10
Use: light
Nimble factor: 10

jboNDIO.jpg

ngxYDzW.jpg

As I moved forward into S!K models and kept on reading of recommendation for the "one and only", "the chosen one", "the ideal one" etc. knife I have discovered that I "need" something larger. Hell! Survive knife should be large and thick and beefy overall and nothing short of BK2 wouldn't cut it amd that was/is a popular opinion despite the fact that most of the common folks myself included will probably never be cutting themselves out of an airplane nor pry the doors during international missions so such knife would be really of no use to me in 99% of situations.

Let's face it. When you go to the woods bushcrafting or putting it plainly, just play with wood you are choosing to do so. It ain't no survival but extreme fun. Can a hunting trip become a survival expedition? I guess it could if you are 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. I am not here to judge.

For me a knife needs to fulfill its primary function. That is to cut and slice. Most of the jobs concentrate about preparing food and most of us probably know this by now that unless a knife is not designed for for the kitchen it won't be that good at slicing tomatoes and such.

That being said for us, big boys, knife should be a good all arounder, with sufficient thickness to split some wood and I am not talking taking down a foot wide tree but sticks, striking ferrocerium rod, playing around with kindling, cut sausage or bacon into few pieces and very important factor, to admire the good looks while doing it all.

The hype of 4.1 is great and I have not found many knives to live to their hype. Quite the opposite. Several of them were quite overrated. But I do understand that knife shape, size, color, steel, etc are a preference thing so there is nothing negative anyone can say to someone who just love his/her knife. And I will not do it either. Friend of mine was kind enough to send me his old spec 4.1 in M390 to try it out and dang, was that a sexi knife! I liked it quite a bit and went on my "must have" list immediately. Availability is somewhat limited although just today I saw at least 3-4 for sale on ebay under 300.00 in like new to new condition. I am a sucker for stonewash/tumble finish and both 3.5 and 4.1 had phenomenally smooth and gorgeous flats. Edge is something of a personal preference so not going to get into that. Was it too thick for me? I'd say so. Probably that is why we see so many of them convexed.

Anyways, decided to compare 4.1 and 3.5. Comfort level was much higher than on 3.5 but I'd consider them a different category and old spec 4.1 was one of the most knvies I have ever played with despite some minor finish "issues" that did not bother me at all and actually made it look little rustic. Old spec 4.1 looks robust and it is. Only thing that it made it feel little "too gentle" was the weight due to its skeletonized handle. This factor is purely psychological as most/all of us seen Guy's videos and those knives can handle most any abuse. But still, despite 4.1's greatness, the "larger" sizes kept on calling.

GSO 4.1 old spec
Designation: larger EDC, companion, lightweight backpacking knife, light survival knife, medium utility knife
Initial impression: 10
Feel in hand: 8
Blade lenght: 8
Blade shape: 10
Blade thickness: 9
Edge geometry: 6
Handle lenght: 10
Handle shape: 10
Sheath: 10
Carrying comfort: 10
Use: light to moderate
Nimble factor: 10

yFXDjyv.jpg

w0zfs7f.jpg
g7Rzavt.jpg

Thanks for posting this. It has renewed my interest in the new spec 4.1. Had one, sold it..now regret it lol. The original 4.1 is one of my favorite knives...I'll see if I can trade into a new spec one and give it another shot. But anyway, I greatly appreciate your pictures and thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

Back