1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

In the Search for the Perfect Knife- Few GSO models insight/comparison and survival knife ramble

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by amikee, Jun 10, 2018.

1. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    It definitely was not a love at first sight i just enjoyed my old spec so much and if opportunity will present itself at some point hoping that old spec 4.1 will be in the collection. Just loved the simplicity of the handle.

Oyster likes this.
  2. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    It is thin. Especially at the top I think it would benefit from another 1/8" thickness added. I guess that could be solved with some custom scales. Again, needs vs preferences. 4.7 is an excellent knife for sure.

3. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    Definitely. 4.1 paired up with something larger like 5.1, 6, 7/7 or larger or axe would make more sense to me as well. Then again, we tend to associste "survival" with woods/forest adventures exclusively that's why for "all around" 4.1 fits my needs much better as woods are not the only place I plan to/carry the 4.1. I am glad that you liked that short write up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    OBX351 likes this.
  4. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts about your journey through the Survive knife progression.
    I love the looks of the old spec knives but I love the feel of the new spec handles.
    Whether you prefer the 4.1 or the 4.7 really does seem to come down to hand size. :thumbsup:
    If I could get a "custom" GSO it would have the 4.7 handle with a much thinner blade, so I'm really looking forward to the GSO bushcrafter.

Oyster and amikee like this.
  5. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    It is not a complete journey thru S!Ks for sure as we are missing some other models that I'd like to try it at some point. I am very curious about the GSO6 as well as those 4.5s and such. I think original EDC4 was quite stunning as well. GSO 2.7 looks like a great little companion blade as well. Great stuff all across the board. Thank you

Fancier, ATJ999 and ajvail18 like this.
  6. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    Nice write up and pics! They really are incredible knives. Ide love to get my hands on a 12!

For me the 5.1 is THE KNIFE

David Lennon, ATJ999, OBX351 and 2 others like this.
  7. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    That's a good one for sure. I'm leaning toward blades without choils though as I never use them. At least for now :) But 5.1 is on my list to try out for sure. Love the looks of it. Thank you

8. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    Please feel free to share your insights guys.

9. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Genius....

amikee and Riz! like this.
  10. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Very, very nice, @amikee
    I really enjoyed your writing and pics.

The old 4.1 sure was a popular model and I like mine, but the 5 really connected with me.

The new 4.1 and 4.7 both really are excellent. They're very similar, but in regards to overall dimensions and especially the handle I think the 4.1 is still trying to fit in the smaller side of knives kind of like an ESEE 4. It has a wide range of capabilities but leans towards being able to be carried more easily. The 5 and 4.7 seem like the smallest of the large knives without making concessions for concealment.

amikee, Fancier and Oyster like this.
  11. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Nice write up, that was entertaining to read. I am still waiting on my 4.1 F2 and this isnt making it easier :D
    I do regret not jumping on the 4.7 pre-order because the concensus here is the 4.7 has a better handle. Hopefully the 4.1 fills the void of missing out on the 4.7

amikee and Fancier like this.
  12. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Ps Amikee, although I agree that the old stonewash is aesthetically more pleasing, the peened finish apparently has the advantage with adding corrosion resistance and toughness.

amikee and Fancier like this.
  13. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Just think, you won't feel guilty when they release the next batch of 4.7 in D3V! ;)

Silver Needle, XtianAus and amikee like this.
  14. amikee

amikee

Apr 24, 2014
    I'm glad that you enjoyed the read. As far as comfort goes...well, generally people say 4.7 is more comfortable due to slightly thicker swell, however comma 4.7 is also thicker and just bulkier overall so comfort is really something one must experience during handling them. Again, for my Medium-ish hands 4.1 is much better even though 4.7 has a more hand filling grip. My preference generally is for knives with slimmer handles. I find them more versatile and comfortable in variety of tasks. Think about your kitchen knives. I bet you wouldn't pick the heavy duty with thick handle one :) Good luck with whatever you decide. They are all spectacular and with so many size options you can pick and choose what suit you best. Thank you

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Oyster, Silver Needle and XtianAus like this.
  15. Nystagmus

Nystagmus Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Thanks for posting this. It has renewed my interest in the new spec 4.1. Had one, sold it..now regret it lol. The original 4.1 is one of my favorite knives...I'll see if I can trade into a new spec one and give it another shot. But anyway, I greatly appreciate your pictures and thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

amikee and Oyster like this.