In which states can one carry a balisong?

As far as I can tell, there are only three states where they’re illegal. Those three being Hawaii, New Mexico, and Washington State. Hawaii has them categorized as a per se prohibited weapon and I think courts in NM and WA have ruled them to be gravity knives. The law will likely be changing in WA really soon though as Knife Rights’ bill there to legalize autos is expected to pass at the start of 2020 and it will legalize balisongs as well.

In California, balisongs of any length can be owned privately but they have to be under 2” in blade length to carry like it is there with autos.

Here in Pennsylvania, balisongs are legal to own and carry concealed or openly. They’re legal in New York as well as courts there have ruled they aren’t gravity knives (and of course the gravity knife law was repealed earlier this year so that isn’t an issue anymore). I wouldn’t carry them in NYC though as cops there will certainly give you trouble.

In Ohio, you can carry them but I think they may have to be carried openly.

Overall, most states seems pretty lenient on them, but there may be different rules on whether or not you can carry them open or concealed and there are of course local and county laws you got to look up to make sure everything is kosher. I’m not a lawyer, just giving you my best advice based on observations. Hope it helps somewhat.

Last edited:
Back