in your firestick?

Well when my fire stick gets here i figured I would just stuff it with some cotton balls and then it hit, I bet yall have better ideas as to what yall use or would use. So what do you put in your ESEE firesticks?

Rub some petroleum jelly on some of that cotton, works excellent and burns for a long time.

I also carry some fatwood also....GOOD STUFF

Well I am aware of the petro cotton but really didnt want to goop up the capsule. I know there are many ways to cover it up so it doesnt but I wasnt sure if a lot of yall put more than just tinder in yours or not. I mean it doesnt appear to fit much more but all know how neccesity sparks ingenuity.

Tinderquik and a cottonball to prevent the TQ from touching the compass. I read on here somewhere someone experienced the TQ discoloring the compass glass.

Neat trick:
Take a drinking straw (I like the ones from Chick Fil-a)
Pinch the end with a pair of needle-nose pliers and melt it with a small flame (candle, lighter, etc.)
Cut straw off just a bit shorter than the inside length of the container you want (I have a bunch of them in my altoids can PSKs), like the inside of your firekit.
Smear up some cotton balls and stuff them (in pieces works fine) into the straw - pack them down tight with a stick or something.
Crimp and sear the other end of the straw.

Make as many as you like... wipe off the "tinder tubes" and put them in your firtekit.

When you want to use them, cut/tear/bite off the end and squeeze out however much PJCB you need to get the job done. You can even re'seal the packet if so inclined, or make 1 per PJCB - whatever.

I've also stored an all-weather match and 2 birthday candles in a couple of them - can store all sorts of stuff in these little "capsules".

Well I am aware of the petro cotton but really didnt want to goop up the capsule.

I packed a few into one of those tiny zip-lock style baggies.
...and no - I didn't repurpose a bunch of dime bags. :rolleyes:

Tarditi that is a REALLY FRIGGIN good idea brothe I am guna start trying that. Thanx

Vaseline cotton balls. Are you worried about the vaseline in the capusule getting on your skirt or what! It wipes right out if you want to clean it.

I've said it 100 times but make sure you test the dryer lint you use, with today's fabric softeners and dryer sheets, sometimes that lint won't burn worth a damn. Smolders and peters out.

Well Adam I don't use that poofy bear crap as far as dryer shears and yes my first IZULA is PINK to match MY SKIRT so don't worry head as it was already posted that the petro jelly might mess up the compass. Thanx though

I use PJ Cottonballs mixed with pine shavings, wrapped in a 2" x 3" plastic bag. Fill the bottom 1/3 of the bag roll it up and stuff it in.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're using guidance or instruction from survival manuals and schools regarding "ideal" materials for starting a fire:
Some tinder is better for coaxing fire from a small coal generated by a primitive friction device - we're talking about something that readily catches a very hot (albeit short-lived) spark from a ferrocium rod.

PJCB has the tinder (cotton) component as well as an accelerant property from the petroleum jelly - some commercial products are better suited to receive a spark than others, which are designed as extenders to get a fire going in adverse (wind/rain) conditions.

Shoot a glob of plasma from a firekit at a bunch of dried leaves, and it will likely not catch... same hot sparks on some fluffed up cattail might flame out so fast it won't catch any kindling... practice a lot and have at least 3 ways to do anything.

Yes sir all good points. Ireally like the idea you gave with the straws. I am guna give it a try just for the hell of it.

Back