In your opinion, what is the best general-use production folder made in the past 10 years?

I won't vote for the Endura or Delica since those are older then 10 years imo.

I just might have to go for the Ontario Rat 1/2 in D2. That knife at that price point still ranks as a great value after all these years. It also gets a few bonus pts for being an inexpensive knife that many folks can afford vs some of the other choices (not that price was a listed condition in the OP).

I read the question as what is "the best general purpose production folder made in the past 10 years" REGARDLESS of when it was 1st made.

Based on this, my "vote" is for the Victorinox Swiss Army knife.

My favorite has always been the Explorer which has a good balance of tools vs size/wt but many others would qualify as well. I'd also vote for a Spyderco Endura or a Buck 110 since their usefulness is limited mainly to cutting/slicing while a Swiss Army knife (with some basic tools) can do so much more.

Last edited:
I almost hesitate to answer because at this point it feels cliché, but the answer for me is still CRK. Sebenza, Inkosi, Umnumzaan; take your pick. I carry different knives because I like to carry different knives, but if I had to pick only one "general-use production folder", it would certainly be a CRK. And I would be well served IMO.

It's difficult to pick only one. For me ZT 0562, CS Recon 1, Hinderer XM-18 3.5" skinny, and Spyderco Delica 4 are the top 4 candidates.

I don't give opinions, I give facts. :cool:😱 General purpose? Toss up between the Spyderco Manix 2 and Gayle Bradley.

This conclusion takes into account cost, ability to accept and handle most NORMAL tasks with aplomb, take some abuse, have excellent ergonomics/grip, and are readily available (Well the GB2 at least is, the 1 i sadly gone)

I've owned quite a few knives in my journey through this hobby, at least to me. While I appreciate most of them, I find that the ones I grab when I know I might need something both robust and sliceable I always grab either the Manix 2 (CTS-XHP) or the GB. I can do most jobs with them, comfortably. I can open and close them one handed very easily, to the point where they have pretty good fidget factor for my anxiety and adhd issues.

The leaf blade shape is extremely versatile. Yes, its a jack of all trades, master of none, but on a daily basis that's what most people need.

The high hollow grind makes the GB and excellent slicer, but the CPM-M4 makes it tough enough for rougher tasks.

Plus, unlike many of the knives mentioned, the thumbhole does not hinder cutting like a thumbstud does.

Easy to disassemble, no bearings to get crap in (which I know is something some people worry about, though not me) and both are pretty easy to find customized parts for.

I've sold, traded, given away, and returned many knives. The Manix 2 and GB are the oldest knives in my rotation. 8 years for the GB, 7 1/2 for the Manix.

Sebenza 21 and Para2 are the most pocket friendly do all daily knives w/o going overboard/underboard.
But more often than not anymore I'm grabbing a Bugout or P3 Lightweight. I can see these 2 being on the list in the next 5-10 years.
The Recon1 would be my best value, do-all heavy duty.

When weight matters, Spyderco PM3LW. When it doesn't Large Inkosi/Insingo. For pure variety, BM 940. The 940 does everything any griptilian ever did, in a much more carry friendly package. And most of what the Inkosi does too, except make that sound that only an Inkosi makes.

Back