Ineresting development in the M marked axes!

That's classic! Looks exactly like the 1970s-80s Mann-made Collins budget brand 'Homestead' heads that are so common. Lo and behold the yesteryear tools site mentions that Mann produced heads for Plumb at about the same time. I'm supposing that the sole difference between an early 80s so-called Collins and a so-called Plumb is the stamp!

That's classic! Looks exactly like the 1970s-80s Mann-made Collins budget brand 'Homestead' heads that are so common. Lo and behold the yesteryear tools site mentions that Mann produced heads for Plumb at about the same time. I'm supposing that the sole difference between an early 80s so-called Collins and a so-called Plumb is the stamp!

A 1990 report from the US government sheds a little light on how some American axe manufacturers were sourcing some products from other US manufacturers, as well as sourcing some products from other countries. (However, most of the numbers and some other details have been redacted in the public report.)

According to this report, during the late 1980s, two American producers of "heavy forged hand tools" indicated that they purchased "hewing tools" (a category consisting mainly of axes) from other American producers... Four American producers (Barco Industries, Council Tool, Mann Edge, and Woodings-Verona) indicated that they sourced some "heavy forged handtools" (which could include axes) from outside the USA during those years.

content

from
Heavy Forged Handtools from the People's Republic of China: Determination of the Commission in Investigation No. 731-TA-457 (Preliminary) Under the Tariff Act of 1930, Together with the Information Obtained in the Investigation
U.S. International Trade Commission, 1990
page A-14

I am in possession of two hatchets marked with the mystery M 1 1/4. One of the hatchets had the remnants of a label on it when I got it. I could see the label had said Master Mechanic. It also had gold paint on the head. Both have decent steel and they had good grain alignment on their original handles. All things considered I would say they're of decent quality. But who made them for master mechanic?

Here's another example, from an old auction listing, that shows a similar-sized sticker put over the Collins "M" stamp -- a barcode:

s-l1600.jpg
Garant Tools of Canada began manufacturing wood handles in 1930 and after take-over by Hanson PLC (also the owner of Ames) in 1991 began producing 'flat slab' replacement handles and used them on their own (Garant) brand of axes. I see that this "Collins" also features that same type of handle. Was there collusion in the industry (a 7/8" thick finished handle uses much less wood than a 1 1/4" traditional version) during the 90s up until about 5 years ago with regard to handles? Interestingly Griffon Corp purchased Garant-Ames in 2010 and thankfully resurrected the making of conventional handles.

So after all the speculation it would seem that the mystery "M" probably stands for Mann. My question is, how good is the quality of these heads? Let's here from owners who have put them to work.

It looks like long time ago it was electroplated with , I guess, brass. Not sure if it was done in factory or the previous owner had some fun with it.
No, unlike The Blue labeled Commander I did not buy just because of letter "M"
:) No Norlund, or Collins marks; It had to have only paper label . Even though it looks flat, it actually has slight high centerline

[url=https://postimg.cc/hJ7j4nJb][/URL]

Last edited:
Back