Inexpensive Flipper

At some point I want to purchase a solid flipper (preferably for less than $50). I like the looks of CRKT's Tuition, but it's a scoch small, and it lacks the point of a clip point / tanto / spearpoint. Any recommendations / experiences would be welcome.

Skyline is highly recommended by many.

I'll add Kershaw OD-1. Love mine. Fun to play with, too.

A big +1 on the Skyline

photo2-5.jpg

Skyline / Zing both great EDC'ers with great build quality and great fell in hand.

You might be able to find a Kershaw RAM for that price. That's what I paid for mine a year ago or so but it has since been discontinued. Great knife though and I need to pick up another just to keep as a safe queen. The Skyline would be my second choice and is a lighter knife but the RAM has a far smoother flipper action to it. With my Skylines you kind of have to give them a little flick of the wrist at the same time your flipping them. Not so with my RAM it just flips right open.

I'd say the Skyline is a great choice, My buddy loves his and the little bit of time I've gotten to mess around with it made me want one for sure. Another alternative is the Enlan El-01. Relatively thick liners and lock, g10 scales, smooth flipper and pivot action after you break it in, fit and finish is spot on with the one I got. If you're just looking to see if you like flippers or want something inexpensive with good value it's a nice alternative given your budget. Look at them on the big auction site. I would always rather see someone support Kershaw than a Chinese company and if you can find a Skyline it's definitely the better knife, but the Enlan is no slouch and will eat less of your budget.

Enlan El-01 and the Skyline are both great options. The Skyline's better sized for white collar EDC, the Enlan is much more bang for the buck though, about $10 or $15 shipped.

How about a Benchmade mini grip? It lacks a spine flipper, but my mini grips are by far and away the most opened knives in my collection. So smooth, and I flip using my thumb on the stud. Just effortless. They can be had for less than $70, but rarely less than $50. Perfect edc though. Food for thought.

Also, I would much rather have a Skyline than any CRKT folder.

-Chris-

The CRKT M16 series is always a popular one as well. I seem to pick one up for awhile every other year or so.

I have an OD1 and a Skyline. The only more affordable knives I will carry. Notice I said more affordable and not cheaper, if they cost double what I paid I would still call them a great buy!

Kershaw guy has some blems for awesome prices on flippers. Also look at meyerco lots of custom designers like Darrell Ralph gun hammer.

I carry a $25 Kershaw Tremor. You can see I think highly of it, cause there's a $115 Spydie Military in the other.

- OS

Back