Inferior knives...

Hey guys. I know there are tons of better brands out there (like Kershaw) but I recently got interested in these 'inferior' brands: Mtech or Dark Ops. I used to think that both brands were pretty much brands whose knives you would use for jobs that you wouldn't want to use a Spyderco Manix 2 on for instance. Essentially, jobs that would really mess up a good blade. Anyway, I've recently started hearing & watching stuff about both Mtech & Darkops producing actually really serviceable blades - Mtech was making Cold Steel Trailmaster replications for example that handled jobs and stayed sharp like a real Cold Steel, and Dark Ops using Extrema Ratio designs that were highly functionable and just as tough as Extrema Ratios. Is there any truth to that press or are these brands still 'inferior' junk brands?

i've heard a lot of good things about these brands lately too. Mtech also just came out with a replica of the Tom Brown jr knife thats only about $30 instead of $300

My biggest issue is the theft of intellectual property. I'm fine with a referenced and/or authorized product, but when the knock offs are making bank on another maker's or company's designs, its a bad thing. If they can put out a tough product at a reasonable price, more power to 'em, but there's a line there that needs to be recognized.
Kershaw is a perfect example of a company collaborating with solid designers and makers and giving us mass produced, affordable versions of high end customs that still share the wealth with the real talent behind the blade. Things are rough enough for most knife makers without having to worry about off shore importers ignoring their ingenuity, craft art, and property rights
Sorry, rant mode off now.

Hey guys. I know there are tons of better brands out there (like Kershaw) but I recently got interested in these 'inferior' brands: Mtech or Dark Ops. I used to think that both brands were pretty much brands whose knives you would use for jobs that you wouldn't want to use a Spyderco Manix 2 on for instance. Essentially, jobs that would really mess up a good blade. Anyway, I've recently started hearing & watching stuff about both Mtech & Darkops producing actually really serviceable blades - Mtech was making Cold Steel Trailmaster replications for example that handled jobs and stayed sharp like a real Cold Steel, and Dark Ops using Extrema Ratio designs that were highly functionable and just as tough as Extrema Ratios. Is there any truth to that press or are these brands still 'inferior' junk brands?

I wouldn't know. There are too many legitimate original knife designs on the market for me to bother with thieves who steal intellectual property.

I wouldn't know. There are too many legitimate original knife designs on the market for me to bother with thieves who steal intellectual property.

I agree with this to some degree but would add that trying something that is "like" the real thing...no matter how good it is, I would always have question in the back of my mind regarding what I am missing by not experiencing the real (uncompromised) McCoy. Life is too short to bother with trying things "almost" as good as what I really want.

My biggest issue is the theft of intellectual property. I'm fine with a referenced and/or authorized product, but when the knock offs are making bank on another maker's or company's designs, its a bad thing. If they can put out a tough product at a reasonable price, more power to 'em, but there's a line there that needs to be recognized.

The distinction that needs to be made is the existence of intellectual property. Because most of the time this subject is brought up, there is no actual intellectual property to argue about, except in the minds of the aggrieved. In order to claim intellectual property, one needs to go through the legal motions to make it so. In that absence, copying is fair game, and a good thing. Has always been this way. Hopefully, it will continue to be so. Even real intellectual property has a finite lifespan, after which, copying is fair game.

Being a creative person is tough. Every idea that's worth its salt, and quite a few that are crap, will be copied. This is just a fact of life. If a knifemaker, or an inventor, or an artist can't deal with this reality, they need to get out of the business.

Mtech and Dark Ops are "inferior brands" yet would you really want to use them for jobs that you wouldn't want to mess up a Spyderco with? Why not just use your good knives for the job? What's the point in buying a Spyderco or Kershaw or any good quality knife if you're not willing to use them for hard cutting tasks? Get your money's worth. Use them, don't baby them.

To me, it makes no sense how or why someone would want to use a cheap "inferior brand" knife for hard tasks and baby their "better quality" production knives (ie: Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade) and reserve them only for light duty for fear of scratching or damaging a blade. That's like choosing to use a Ford Fiesta to haul lumber because you don't want to risk damaging the finish on your Ford Super Duty.

Seriously, there are good quality "cheap" knives out there (Moras, Opinels, Case Sodbusters, SAK's, etc), but if you're willing to shell out the money on more expensive knives, why not use them?

Mtech and DarkOps may produce some serviceable blades, but brands like these are known for knockoffs. In other words: they make money by deliberately copying existing knife designs without putting forth any of the work and effort it takes reputable makers to produce their original designs. These copies are all too often made with lesser quality materials and could probably do you serious harm should one of them fail during use. Brands like these are run by individuals who are just interested in making a fast buck. Don't give them a second glance and least of all your money.

Last edited:
M-tech... I wouldn't pocket one of their knives even if it was free. I'd bought one of their flashy-looking folders once for only $2 on closeout... The workmanship was so incredibly poor that I immediately threw it in the garbage. Afterward I'd discovered that the *design* was intellectual property theft of a custom maker... The company deserves to rot, and from all I've seen their blades are garbage.

I am not familiar with those brands, but if they offer a good value then go for them.
Our system is such that if a maker cannot compete then he goes under. Makers that make superb knives should be able to rely on their skill, workmanship, design and materials. If he does not provide a good value for the target consumers then he fails in time.

Mostly the cheap knock offs do not really compete with the top makers. I, for one, would not even consider paying $300 for a knife for myself. If my son wanted one I would buy it as a present, but not for me. I have never found the need for such so if I buy a Chinese knock-off it is money I would not have spent on the expensive knife anyway.

If one objects to the copying of the design then don't buy it. Let the designers patent it or try to get laws that prohibit the inport of one that copies the patent.

As for me I'll buy what seems to be the best buy for my own needs. Let each do the same.

Regards,
Jerry

Mtech and Dark Ops are "inferior brands" yet would you really want to use them for jobs that you wouldn't want to mess up a Spyderco with? Why not just use your good knives for the job? What's the point in buying a Spyderco or Kershaw or any good quality knife if you're not willing to use them for hard cutting tasks? Get your money's worth. Use them, don't baby them.

To me, it makes no sense how or why someone would want to use a cheap "inferior brand" knife for hard tasks and baby their "better quality" production knives (ie: Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade) and reserve them only for light duty for fear of scratching or damaging a blade. That's like choosing to use a Ford Fiesta to haul lumber because you don't want to risk damaging the finish on your Ford Super Duty.

Seriously, there are good quality "cheap" knives out there (Moras, Opinels, Case Sodbusters, SAK's, etc), but if you're willing to shell out the money on more expensive knives, why not use them?

Mtech and DarkOps may produce some serviceable blades, but brands like these are known for knockoffs. In other words: they make money by deliberately copying existing knife designs without putting forth any of the work and effort it takes reputable makers to produce their original designs. These copies are all too often made with lesser quality materials and could probably do you serious harm should one of them fail during use. Brands like these are run by individuals who are just interested in making a fast buck. Don't give them a second glance and least of all your money.

+1. When I buy a new knife, I put it through its paces. Top quality knives are designed to be used and enjoyed. If you take care of them and use them for their intended purpose, they'll outlast you. Having said that, I have lower priced knives that go in the glovebox, tool box, first aid kit, etc., but they're Mora's, Marttini's, Opinels, Buck's value priced folders, etc., and they're all good quality knives at their price point. These companies have earned their place in the market and for good reason. They have a reputation to protect.

I've bought plenty of the "knockoff flea market", stuff and ended up getting rid of them for raffles, grab bags and giveaways, etc. The people that end up with them are happy because they think one knife is as good as another! :)

Where did you see these videos or read these good reviews of those knife brands? I just looked out of curiosity and You can only find a handful of videos about those brands on youtube.Dark ops in particular has almost no videos.

Back