INFI vs. Z-Wear PM steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind people infi is like 20? years old and it's still being compared to current "super steels" and holding it's weight.

INFI is whatever Jerry needs it to be today. As long as he stands behind his products, as he has always done, then the rest is just noise.

cpm 3v is a little more chippy than the 3 mentioned though. atleast on some of my folders. Not as bad as s35v though
The Heat Treat for CPM3V in folders is meant to be super hard where INFI on LARGE Choppers is MUCH less hard that's why there is a difference in the Chippyness(is that a word). Busse would prefer the steel Roll where you can massage it back rather than totally chip out...INFI 58-60 RC that is the Key to the success of this steel...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Z-wear or Tuff might have a slight edge "pun intended" over infi in some areas but it also cost a hellova lot more and nooooobody has a warranty as good as busse

Busse has used many different steels.....NOT just INFI....D2 and A2 were a couple of early steels and they toyed around with 5160 as well in the early days. Elmax is yet another that has been used on small slicers in the HACK series so to say they have only used INFI is incorrect. Also of Note is that there have been 2 versions of INFI.

Busse Combat Knives was built on a reputation of Steels that were optimized by their proprietary Heat Treatment. They put their quality into ALL THE DIFFERENT Blade materials NOT JUST INFI. Each Steel type is a variable of ALLOY compounds.

The Variables are one Manufacturer using 0.250 thick with flat grind and Busse using 0.320 thick and convex grind. Even if the materials are close the thickness and grind are a variable that can change how the blade performs.

YES.....CPM3V will do everything INFI will do!!!

You might check some other manufacturers and see how well some other metals perform...not that Busse and INFI are bad but there are some really good manufacturers with steel other than INFI...There is a whole list of manufacturers in the FORUMS pull down that you can check...

Just because Busse company dabbles into other metal types just for some fun casual mix up does not remove the fact that INFI is their go-to main metal for the last 20’ish years like someone else mentioned. I still stand by my first two posts in here. I have yet to see anyone else matching INFI (again, NOT including other metals that Busse has done) in other companies with the same warranty.

All that alone is a testimony that Busse is doing something right and other folks something wrong, no? Jerry Busse was able to stand by his products since Day One while many other knife companies couldn’t do the same. Therefore, how can that be called the Age of Super Metal (Paraphrased) if there is not many that can match INFI? That CPM3V metal, someone else mentions chips easy. That doesn’t put them at par with INFI, not by a long shot.

Z steels vs infi hold their edge longer but are alot harder to sharpen and hone due to the added carbides. SR101 vs infi is easy to sharpen and holds the edge longer but not as tough or rust resistant "by far" vs infi.

Just because Busse company dabbles into other metal types just for some fun casual mix up does not remove the fact that INFI is their go-to main metal for the last 20’ish years like someone else mentioned. I still stand by my first two posts in here. I have yet to see anyone else matching INFI (again, NOT including other metals that Busse has done) in other companies with the same warranty.

All that alone is a testimony that Busse is doing something right and other folks something wrong, no? Jerry Busse was able to stand by his products since Day One while many other knife companies couldn’t do the same. Therefore, how can that be called the Age of Super Metal (Paraphrased) if there is not many that can match INFI? That CPM3V metal, someone else mentions chips easy. That doesn’t put them at par with INFI, not by a long shot.

YES^^^Carothers Performance Knives (CPK) CPM3V and Nathan will stand behind that blade with warranty just like Jerry!!! Check out that Video of a Carothers HDFK (Heavy Duty Field Knife).

INFI was not the first steel that Jerry produced knives from so to say dabbles in other metal types is not correct...Before there was INFI he was using A2 and D2 they were the foundation of the business in the early years and along came INFI...Jerry has making knives for 35 years so if INFI is just 20 years young what was he using to build the company reputation on for the first 15 years?

YES^^^Carothers Performance Knives (CPK) CPM3V and Nathan will stand behind that blade with warranty just like Jerry!!! Check out that Video of a Carothers HDFK (Heavy Duty Field Knife).

INFI was not the first steel that Jerry produced knives from so to say dabbles in other metal types is not correct...Before there was INFI he was using A2 and D2 they were the foundation of the business in the early years and along came INFI...Jerry has making knives for 35 years so if INFI is just 20 years young what was he using to build the company reputation on for the first 15 years?

You are correct that you are “not correct” in your statement (which is the only correct thing I was able to see). I never said that INFI was the very first steel he dabbled into. It was clear that he was not happy with the other steels he had used prior to the introduction of INFI.

But to clear up further what I meant by dabbling, I was referring to any metals after INFI became the mainstay metal of the Busse company. Busse company has always used INFI as the main go-to metal with any other metal as something to just play around with, keeping the cost affordable once in a while.

Once again, it has nothing to do with a bygone era prior to INFI creation. It has everything to do with current TODAY reality.

I will check the Carothers Performances Knives as that is the first time I’ve heard of it. So thank you for that.

Busse company has always used INFI as the main-go-to metal
No....There were other steels before INFI...you can tap dance around this all you want. There is INFI and MINFI modified INFI so there is another dabbler for you to delve into.
The By Gone era was the foundation of what built the Busse Brand. I wouldn't dismiss all that Hard Work Jerry put in developing his Heat Treat protocols as just dabbling that is what Built TODAYs Reality. Jerry is resurrecting some of that By Gone era steel to reintroduce piglets to the virtues of blades made with those steels and doing it at a cost savings to his customers! Thanx Bossman

No....There were other steels before INFI...you can tap dance around this all you want. There is INFI and MINFI modified INFI so there is another dabbler for you to delve into.
The By Gone era was the foundation of what built the Busse Brand. I wouldn't dismiss all that Hard Work Jerry put in developing his Heat Treat protocols as just dabbling that is what Built TODAYs Reality. Jerry is resurrecting some of that By Gone era steel to reintroduce piglets to the virtues of blades made with those steels and doing it at a cost savings to his customers! Thanx Bossman

definitely, No way would you find an FBM for cheap in infi nowadays... but battlegrade sr101 at only $397 you can buy all the flavors/color combos you want or never had a chance to get. Same with the a2 geminis which are like $800+ now for infi versions

You make good points Busto... try next time to start the drinking earlier to get to LadyEarth's coherency!

Some of the most sought after grail knives are early Non-INFI blades.

Based on LadyEarth's comments all Busse or anyone else knives made of any steel before or after INFI are junk.

What do you think about Z-Wear PM steel? and how it is compare to INFI, SR101 or CMP 3V?
Looking for input from folks experienced with this steel.
Sorry Man didn't mean to hijack your thread...I really like Z-Wear holds an edge well, a little harder to sharpen than INFI but overall performance is pretty good. I'm a fan of SR-101 in small 6" or less blades. CPM 3V is my comparable choice to INFI as long as it's heat treated correctly.

It's starting to sound like someone brought tequila to this party!:eek:

"Well, there goes the furniture and most of the windows!":eek:

(Probably Garth. . . . . He is usually the culprit when tequila is involved):D

*Note: . . . HOGs are ONLY allowed to eat their own during trough warfare. . . :cool:

. . . . Kindness my friends. . . .:thumbsup:

Let's drink!. . . (less tequila, more scotch!) :thumbsup:

Jerry :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back