Info,on Buck 500

When did Buck stop using the Buck script tang stamp on 500.
Just received beautiful unused 500 with dynawood scales and NS bolsters.
Has script tang stamp. Buck 500 U.S.A..
Came in new old style 112 sheath. No problem there as I had an extra old style 500 sheath.
Can anyone help me date this knife.
Thanks in advance.

Nice score. Throw up some pics of it if you get a chance. Congrats :thumbsup:

It was late 1984 to sometime in 85 that Buck changed from the English script stamp to a block letter stamp. Buck went to the laminate handles in 1981 with that model. Does your sheath have a straight top or scalloped? DM

FYI, the bolsters will be stainless, not N/S. The 501, 503, and 505 are listed as stainless thru 2002, changing to N/S in the 2003 catalog. The 500 takes a short hiatus [from the catalog] but is still stainless today. /Roger

Last edited:
Good to know Dave....
Buck Truism.... Not in the catalog does not mean not made.

Last edited:
The sheath I received has a straight top.
Thanks to all who replied. I'm on page 555 of the post in the Buck section learning a lot about the Bucks I have from years past.
I must admit I strayed into the "tactical" realm for an extended period but have come back to good old USA made Buck.
I will try to post pictures when I find a good hosting site.
Thanks again to all.

Well, the 500 has always been used as a Special Edition model as the Eagle Scout Commemorate knife. A qualifying scout can
have that honor. DM

I wonder if they ever came from the factory with slight finger grooves? I remember seeing one that had them years ago and one that had a moon shaped cutout to pinch the blade open easy. .There was a recent 110 that had that cutout too.

I've seen some beautiful home/shop mods and customs but with the 500 with groves I seen I thought it was a factory variety. .At the time I was a fairly new Buck collector and didn't know it was never offered. It might have been a employees knife at one time I've heard that was common.

Yes, there were factory made Duke 500s with finger grooves.

Yes, there were factory made Duke 500s with finger grooves. As I said above, here are some photo's both old factory and new factory made finger groove Duke 500's.

Old
500 ST.jpg
500 DK.jpg

New
500 BST.jpg
500 HB.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words!
JB

Back