Info on Camco

Can someone please inform the new collectors about the use of the name Camco by Camillus in their last decade of operation? I have seen Camco on some older vintage knives and I had assumed it may be a lower cost workman's knife name and I have also seen Camco on newly manufactured imports. Did Camillus use Camco name on a line of imports before they closed or are all imported Camco knives post Camillus? If the name was used by Camillus on a line of imported knives is there a list of what was imported preclosing of the Camillus factory?
It is getting confusing on the internet.

I believe that the Camco name was used on imported knives while Camillus was still in operation. I bought a two-knife set that included a U.S. made Gran'Pa sheath knife and a Chinese folding knife marked Camco .
I won an eBay auction on a limited edition Leupold 100th. Anniversary fixed blade knife that has "Camco" etched on the blade and it was made in China. The blade is supposedly made from steel imported from Germany, the handle is walnut burl. Mine seems exceptionally well made and finished and is without a doubt the best knife I've ever seen from China.
Until I read some posts on this forum, I didn't realize that the Camco name had been used in the past for U.S. made knives. Sorry if I haven't helped answer your question but I am certain someone with more knowledge will.

CAMCO knives were made in three countries: U.S.A. (starting in 1948), Ireland and Taiwan (China).
The Irish CAMCO knives were made in a factory owned by Albert Baer.

Tom Williams

Back