Photos Info on Elbersmit Axe

First time poster. I searched the forums but did not see any information for "Elbersmit"

The mark reads Elbersmit, Germany and Forged. I'm looking for information on the manufacturer and dates of manufacture.

The head weighs in close to 3lbs3oz.

This axe was bought on a lark, but I'm loving it for splitting. The bite and cheeks are very wedgy, the head itself is very small/dense, mounted on ~30inch straight handle seems to never get it stuck. It either penetrates full or wedges open enough to pull out.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

First time poster. I searched the forums but did not see any information for "Elbersmit"

The mark reads Elbersmit, Germany and Forged. I'm looking for information on the manufacturer and dates of manufacture.

The head weighs in close to 3lbs3oz.

This axe was bought on a lark, but I'm loving it for splitting. The bite and cheeks are very wedgy, the head itself is very small/dense, mounted on ~30inch straight handle seems to never get it stuck. It either penetrates full or wedges open enough to pull out.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/plschmidt.phtml
Are there any weight marks on the other side?

content

Peter Ludwig Schmidt, Wuppertal-Elberfeld
history

The company was founded in 1790 by Johann Dietrich Schmidt in Sprockhövel / Westphalia. 1)

His son Peter Ludwig Schmidt gave the company its name and the sign "Zirkel und Winkelhacken". 3) In 1841 the company was relocated to Elberfeld. Peter Ludwigs sons Johannes Dietrich (from 1860) and Karl Emanuel (from 1865) were partners in the father's company. 2)

In a report on the trade exhibition in Berlin (1844) 4) the exhibited tools of the company are described:

Under No. 1032 by Peter Ludw. Schmidt to Elberfeld one
Selection of various metal goods, of which we emphasize the following:
A 7 inch hacking knife, the dozen to 3 Rthlr. [Reichsthaler] 26 Sgr. [Silbergroschen]; on
double inserted coppers, the like to 7 1/3 rthlrn .; fine cuisine
with neusilbernen ribbons and ebony books, the piece to 31 Sgr .;
a sugar ax to 2 1/3 Rthlr. the dozen; several chisels, Kant and
Lochbeitel, the dozen of 25 Sgr. to 1 Rthlr. 26 sgr .; Simple and
Hole planer, 2zöllig, from 1 Rthlr. 7 Sgr. to 1 Rthlr. 11 Sgr. the dozen.

There are also black metal-tipped scissors, the dozen to eight-thirds; various pinching
pliers, the like of 3 Rthlr. 24 sgr. to 4 Rthlr. 4 sgr .; a fine one
polished bending pliers to 1 Rthlr. 21 sgr. per dozen; a polished screw
iron with 16 holes to 8 Rthlr. 2 sgr .; Packhook to 2 Rthlr.
9 sgr. the dozen; a pair of spring skates, the pair without straps
to 3 Rthlr. 5 sgr .; finally black hatchets and carpenter's axes, referring
to 5 Rthlr. 3 Sgr. and 7 1/3 Rthlr. the dozen.

A report on the World's Fair in London 1851 5) describes the tools issued by the company:

"Peter Ludwig Schmidt in Elberfeld: pliers, hammers, several universal
sal wrenches of known constructions, wedges, lancing
axles, chisels, carvers, plane-irons, saws and saw-arches; drawing
sound, drills and the already mentioned several times corner drills
with conical gears. "

An English report also lists the tools in this exhibition 5)

646 SCHMIDT, PET. LUDW., Elberfeld - Manufacturer.
Steel, iron, and brass wares, including screw-taps, files,
gimlets, nippers, hammers, vices, shears, plane irons, sas,
locks, scales, hinges, taps, and skates, & c.

In a report on the Paris World Fair in 1855 7) the award of a bronze medal (2nd class medal) to the company P. L. Schmidt for "sawing, filing and other equipment" is mentioned.

In 1875 Carl Kämmerling joined P. L. Schmidt as an apprentice. His career took him to the export department of the company, and he took over the sale of tools in England. Finally, he left the company Schmidt and opened his own company (C.K. Tools) in Wuppertal and outlets in London. His son Wilhelm Carl Kämmerling joined his company.

After the death of his father Wilhelm Carl Kämmerling 1935 took over the company Peter Ludwig Schmidt. Until the final merger of the companies C.K. and P.L. Schmidt in the 1950s, both companies maintained their identity and their brands.

In 1943, all locations of the companies in Wuppertal were destroyed in a bomb blast. In 1947 the company was rebuilt in Wuppertal, but in 1954 relocated to Pwllheli in Wales. There, the company Carl Kämmerling International is one of the largest employers today.
Tools

Planed iron with patent number
Brands

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are not visible markings on the other side.

Because the marking says "Germany" and not "West Germany" is it safe to assume this is pre-1943 axe? I'm assuming the axe wasn't made after East-West unification.

Excellent! Thanks for the information. Knowing it's age and that it traveled over the Pond increases my appreciation of the tool especially how well it performs.

On the other hand, I am disappointed I wasn't able to find that information on my own. All my searches for Elbersmit and variants were coming up fairly useless. I've bookmarked those sites you linked to.

Back