Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Screenshot_20170524-164120.jpg

Some day there's going to be a 4.1 with black G10 handles on that table and it will truly be an epic day.

Last edited:
The microtextured G10 is really nice. I've traditionally preferred micarta because of the better grip, but the way Survive is making G10 handles works very well.
One of the time saving measures they've taken seems to be the elimination of G10 as an option on 2nds, so in order to get G10 it looks like you have to already have it on order.

The microtextured G10 is really nice. I've traditionally preferred micarta because of the better grip, but the way Survive is making G10 handles works very well.
One of the time saving measures they've taken seems to be the elimination of G10 as an option on 2nds, so in order to get G10 it looks like you have to already have it on order.

Right on, my man. I'm all about the time savings. Anywhere they need to cut back or simplify is fully supported by Silver Needle.

My starter order is black G10. Come to papa!

Totally agree. I'm a pretty die-hard micarta fan, but S!K's G10 is in a different league than most of the industry.

My 2.7 is microtextured G10 and it's pretty awesome. I can only imagine that material and texture in a full handle will be even better :thumbsup:

Guy posted another comment about fire starter notches, and the changes that he made to them.
(You really ought to know where to look for these by now, but if you don't I'm sure Silver can be convinced to screen capture the Instagram post for you.)
(If he does you won't get the most recent comments on the post and you'll have to click through anyway if you want to see all of Guy's comments...)
;) ;) ;)
(Gratuitous winkies!)

Even though it's been a long wait for my knife, I like how SK! Keeps making improvements on each model they make. The wait for the 6 is interesting watching the knives evolve for the better.

Guy posted another comment about fire starter notches, and the changes that he made to them.
(You really ought to know where to look for these by now, but if you don't I'm sure Silver can be convinced to screen capture the Instagram post for you.)
(If he does you won't get the most recent comments on the post and you'll have to click through anyway if you want to see all of Guy's comments...)
;) ;) ;)
(Gratuitous winkies!)
Silver Needle: will work for emojis

What I like to do is hit the audience with the 1, 2 punch of a screenshot AND a link. They can have as little or as much as they want.

38ijl5F.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUhUcP6DCzH/

EDIT: I did include Instagram links for S!K in the original post of this thread............ but who really looks at original posts a these days?!?

Last edited:
Really like the textured G10. The colors are not as bright but the added grip is a very good trade off.
Camo G10 is on my 2.7, 4.1 and 4.7 but the black G10 looks great as well!
Those are the three I have as well all with black linen

Now that they are micro texturing all of the handles with better grip for the G10, is there an advantage to Micarta?

It used to be better grip (Micarta) Vs. more vibrant colors and stain resistance (G10)

I have microtextured micarta and g10 on multiples of the newer gen knives, the micarta knives are lighter and balance better, but I prefer the texture\asthetic and feel of the g10..but they are slightly handle heavy in comparison.
This is really obvious on the 2.7, the micarta version is light as a feather, the g10 version feels sturdy and more handle heavy... but with great texture.
Best to get both :D

Nice, kurpak kurpak
I don't have 2 of the same model with different handle materials. You made a good point about weight and balance.

T tech25 it sounds like you are correct with the differences between materials. As far as aesthetics, textured g10 still has the advantage with color clarity and consistency. You can see that in my pic of microtextured black canvas micarta and g10. The canvas has that "warmer" feeling when you hold it.

Functionally, the g10 is still impervious despite the texturing. I haven't gotten mine very mucky, but the texturing may take a little more to clean than the older, smoother type.

I haven't done any extreme stabbing tests in wet conditions, but for wood carving and fire prep, both have performed very well all while being very comfortable.

R2JEm6J.png

Now that they are micro texturing all of the handles with better grip for the G10, is there an advantage to Micarta?

It used to be better grip (Micarta) Vs. more vibrant colors and stain resistance (G10)

To add to the replies above, I still prefer micarta on knives that will be used in wet conditions, i.e. cleaning fish where you'll get water on the scales, cleaning game where you'll get blood on the scales, as they grip better for me in those circumstances. You're right though, that their texturing has closed the gap, and I order more G10 from them than I ever used to.

Thanks guys! I ordered the micarta on the 4.1 2nd and 6. I probably would have been better off for my uses with the G10. However, micarta has worked just fine for me in the past.

Back