Information from Instagram and Facebook!

I read through all the comments on the latest Instagram post from Survive, and buried under all the complaints about the lead time was a statement by Guy that the number of preorders tapers off sharply once the 4.1 model is completed. That is encouraging news since they've been shipping the 4.1 since at least March (when I received mine).
They could be working through the 4.1 for a really long time still, if you recall the 4.7 took over a year to close out once they started shipping.
It does give some kind of time frame for when Survive ought to be able to get things under control, and it looks like it might happen in 2018.
My fingers are crossed for you Survive!

I read through all the comments on the latest Instagram post from Survive, and buried under all the complaints about the lead time was a statement by Guy that the number of preorders tapers off sharply once the 4.1 model is completed. That is encouraging news since they've been shipping the 4.1 since at least March (when I received mine).
They could be working through the 4.1 for a really long time still, if you recall the 4.7 took over a year to close out once they started shipping.
It does give some kind of time frame for when Survive ought to be able to get things under control, and it looks like it might happen in 2018.
My fingers are crossed for you Survive!

This quote is my favorite by far (bold added by me):

We're working through them and are far enough along that all of the Starter orders are on the bench for final test fitting, fine tuning and assembly. It won't be long

:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So glad to hear it. Those in the workshop and those waiting by our mailboxes need these better days ahead! Let's go, SURVIVE!

Chiral, I think that Guy was referring to the 4.1 Starter orders being on the bench for fitting and assembly.
He also said that the 4.1 was by far the largest production volume model, but it didn't start that way.
The 5.1 and the 4.7 had more Starter orders than the 4.1 and were produced before the 4.1 for that reason.
The preorders for the 4.1 weren't closed for another six months after the Starter closed, and some unknown number of presales, seconds and uglies have been purchased as well. I'm glad that the end is near for the starters (depending on how big Guy's bench is ;) ) but I think that they still have a substantial number of 4.1 units to ship.
All the speculation is fun, I know I certainly enjoy it, and I wish Survive all the best, but I'd be shocked if the production backlog didn't last well into 2018.
Edit: Oops, I forgot my final emojis so folks know I'm a jolly well meaning fellow. :thumbsup::D

Major information update on the Survive Instagram page. Apparently Guy and Ellie purchased some huge historic vacant hotel in Kellogg, Idaho, that burned down last week. Total loss. Cause of fire unknown. Guy says the knives were fine (sounds like they weren't stored there). Guy says that they made the down payment on the hotel "some time ago" and planned on the building to be the Survive home and an investment for them. Maybe someone can post pictures?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYrDK-fjg8p/?hl=en&taken-by=surviveknives

Last edited:
Damn, talk about a total loss fire. Nothing left but a pile of bricks.
I'm really glad that nobody was hurt and that the company hadn't moved in yet.
Hang in there Survive!

Also glad no one was hurt. Still, hoping that building was the only thing that went up in smoke...

Chiral, I think that Guy was referring to the 4.1 Starter orders being on the bench for fitting and assembly.

Oh, yes, thank you :thumbsup: That is how I understood it as well, though clearly I did not indicate as much in the post, apologies :oops: Now some guy is gonna be pissed because his GSO-12 isn't ready yet :p "But I read a quote on bladeforums from a post you made on instagram that ALL of the starter orders were on your bench and would be shipping out soon!"

Woah!
Here are the pics and quote concerning the fire:
As many of you know, we had been looking forward to moving to a permanent location that we actually owned. A while back, we made a down payment on this building. It was meant to be a place for SURVIVE! to grow while also providing us with a home and eventually extra rental income. The plan was to work on it in small pieces over time but we were never able to really get started because of the ongoing production issues. So we kept dreaming about layouts and waiting until we could start diving into this project.
Swipe to see what it looked like last week.
Fortunately, no one was in the building at the time. We did lose some belongings that were being stored there, but everyone is ok, including the knives.

We have been getting pulled out of the workshop a lot this past week. Things are starting to settle in though, and you should be seeing some shipping notifications later this week.
They have not determined a cause yet but there are several investigators looking into it. I believe it will be several weeks before they have any answers for us.
We have no idea what the next step will be, we are still processing all of this. When something so beautiful exists for over 100 years you don't realize how quickly it could disappear.
21372370_1941804329374444_175408650506993664_n.jpg
21372381_1429273027161897_1401163347230982144_n.jpg
21371706_114624552550769_8239840855536435200_n.jpg
21373129_162572310986642_8324165314258403328_n.jpg

Thanks Chiral, there is a lot of background in that story.
I'm amazed that the fire didn't spread further.
The emergency response teams did a great job containing it.

How truly terrible. What a tragedy. Thankfully there was no death or injury, but what a loss, financially and emotionally.

I do hope that Guy was insured. More than likely, he was...if he got a loan to purchase this building...
...talk about some bad luck...

You'll notice, S!K has removed comments from their Instagram posts. Hm. Anyway that knife looks good.

Not a Survive post but it is a Survive knife!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZPwILwlsLY/?hl=en&taken-by=millitknives
Thanks for the heads up sryt95! :thumbsup:
Embed the picture for context:
M0IUoo4.jpg

It is extremely worrisome that that it looks like a hollow grind instead of a true flat sabre grind. Been avoiding any knives made by Millit knives as it seems that they only do hollow grinds, afterall the guys behind Millit knives were from Chris Reeves knives.

Will be keeping a very close eye on this. If they aren't truly flat sabre grind, I'll definitely pull out all my orders as I never had a good experience with hollow grinds even on a Sebenza...

I have been a big fan of S!K for a long time and have a nice collection of S!K knives. I am able to tolerate the long waiting times but now getting a totally different knife will be the last straw for me.

Let's hope SurviveKnives will not become the next schradepocalypse, "survivepocalypse" or "skpocalypse"

Last edited:
Back