Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Embed the picture for context:
M0IUoo4.jpg

It is extremely worrisome that that it looks like a hollow grind instead of a true flat sabre grind. Been avoiding any knives made by Millit knives as it seems that they only do hollow grinds, afterall the guys behind Millit knives were from Chris Reeves knives.

Will be keeping a very close eye on this. If they aren't truly flat sabre grind, I'll definitely pull out all my orders as I never had a good experience with hollow grinds even on a Sebenza...

I have been a big fan of S!K for a long time and have a nice collection of S!K knives. I am able to tolerate the long waiting times but now getting a totally different knife will be the last straw for me.

Let's hope SurviveKnives will not become the next schradepocalypse, "survivepocalypse" or "skpocalypse"
I had the same thought when I saw it and am wondering what use I would put it to now. Wouldn't a hollow grind kind of defeat the purpose/attributes of 3V?
I ordered mine in 20CV, but was still expecting it to fulfill a role as an all around utility (and occasionally harder use) knife...

I had the same thought when I saw it and am wondering what use I would put it to now. Wouldn't a hollow grind kind of defeat the purpose/attributes of 3V?
I ordered mine in 20CV, but was still expecting it to fulfill a role as an all around utility (and occasionally harder use) knife...

I'll comment that i beat on hollow-ground knives all the time from Buck, made of 420HC. I will also mention that my hatchet, will convex at the cutting edge, is concave/hollow behind that.

Depending on how they do the grind, hollow might not be all that noticeable in use... assuming that the final product really is hollow-ground. *shrug* We will need a comparison test!! ;)

I'll comment that i beat on hollow-ground knives all the time from Buck, made of 420HC. I will also mention that my hatchet, will convex at the cutting edge, is concave/hollow behind that.

Depending on how they do the grind, hollow might not be all that noticeable in use... assuming that the final product really is hollow-ground. *shrug* We will need a comparison test!! ;)

Really no expert on this but, yes, on some "chopping tools" which already have a relatively obtuse edge and are also relatively thick behind the edge (hatchet). Not so much for a "cutting tool" intended to cut/slice materials that are hard and/or taller than the blade (wood, cardboard)

ETA: my understanding is that a hollow ground (knife) can have a very fine edge, but it's not going to be very strong, and they tend to "hang up" on materials taller than the blade.

Last edited:
I'm certainly hoping its not a Hollow Grind as that is not or never was listed as such, everyone would believe it would be a saber grind as all previous and current models have been unless this is the case outside of the GSOs (i.e. SK line only).

Unless this has to do with the fix that they mentioned was necessary on the 3.5 but the no one from the team stated it would be a hollow grind. This is certainly something that would need to be disclosed immediately.

I'm certainly hoping its not a Hollow Grind as that is not or never was listed as such, everyone would believe it would be a saber grind as all previous and current models have been unless this is the case outside of the GSOs (i.e. SK line only).

"Saber grind" can be hollow, flat, or convex, indeed the Fallkies are mostly convex-saber and nearly ALL Buck knives are hollow-saber, and those have been used for years and years with relatively thin edges and standard acuity (15-20 dps). Bob Dozier also does almost exclusively hollow-grind. It is extremely common in hunting knives. *shrug*

My main concern is for the balance - if the hollow is very thin, then the handle will be that much heavier, though on a knife this small it may not make much difference.

From Millit's post:
...This is the very first sample off of the CNC Grinder...
...it's actually a super hollow, replicates the grind done on a 14" wheel...

Send them a note, ask about the grind, if it's what they are planning on sticking with or if they might go more shallow to near-flat.

I stand corrected, I'm expecting as most are a "Flat-Saber" Grind, yes CRK uses a Saber-Hollow Grind. I would not be happy to see these in a Hollow Grind in any capacity.

"Saber grind" can be hollow, flat, or convex, indeed the Fallkies are mostly convex-saber and nearly ALL Buck knives are hollow-saber, and those have been used for years and years with relatively thin edges and standard acuity (15-20 dps). Bob Dozier also does almost exclusively hollow-grind. It is extremely common in hunting knives. *shrug*

My main concern is for the balance - if the hollow is very thin, then the handle will be that much heavier, though on a knife this small it may not make much difference.

From Millit's post:

Send them a note, ask about the grind, if it's what they are planning on sticking with or if they might go more shallow to near-flat.

All true. A hunting knife (hollow ground) wouldn't be my first choice for all around utility, cutting wood or thicker/taller materials.
I'm sure it could be a very fine knife, just not what I had in mind when purchasing an S!K

This is still enough of a major issue that should be presented/disclosed if this is the case as well as how many models will have this grind.

All true. A hunting knife (hollow ground) wouldn't be my first choice for all around utility, cutting wood or thicker/taller materials.
I'm sure it could be a very fine knife, just not what I had in mind when purchasing an S!K
Totally understandable :thumbsup: I look forward to putting one through its paces (which will likely include batoning dried oak, tin cans, and steel roofing...and throwing)

A second image after blasting (evidently these will NOT be stonewashed?)

21827335_1950597291820884_2950391620362567680_n.jpg

Millit says "super hollow".
How is this a Survive! knife?
Looks as if I'll have to order a 2.7 for hard use ;-)

I sent a message to the S!K team of this very situation, I will share what response/feedback I get in return.

I've copied these pictures and an older one for comparison to the GSO 3.5 thread.

Last edited:
I'm confused. What was it about the new spec 3.5 that needed "tweaking" (during development)?
Both the smaller 2.7 and larger new spec 4.1 are flat saber grinds. Why would the middle one require a different grind?

Ellie I believe was the one that posted something within one of the threads about it, I'll do some digging but imagine our SME Chiral could find it pretty quickly.

Back