Inganeþ se Wyrm (Old Eng.='Enter the Dragon'), or, Giving Garud the Walosi Treatment

My PGA Garud AK arrived today (fast delivery from despatch on Saturday!). Absolutely beautiful carving on the handle - nicer-looking than the Garud AK on the HI shop site (I'll try to get some photos up later on).

I was thinking that this handle is definitely calling for the Walosi oil treatment (the other satisaal handled khuk I was/am too lazy to do, at least right now, plus I wanted to be able to use it if I felt the need to chop, but as I have 2 20in AKs now....).

I can't remember where the information on the Walosi treatment is though. I remember some rather dubious humour about tung/tongue oil, but that's about all I'm dredging up ;) Linseed oil work too? Could someone point me towards the relevant thread?

Cheers, B.

Thanks Bob - that was what I was looking for, didn't remember it was in the FAQ. & thanks Uncle Bill.

With Garuda. That, and the leaf/vine carved UBE, were the most tedious finishing jobs I have ever undertaken. The full Monty is on Howard's site:

http://www.tx3.net/~howardw/Khukuris/ConstructionMaint.htm

Scroll down to "finishing a wood handle". I recommend the Tru Oil, as it has better penetrators, and is a bit thinner, for the carved handles. As for tools, get a box of Q Tips and a box of the round toothpick, and 0000 steel wool, or finer if you can find it. I cleaned grooves, nooks and crannies, eyelashes and toes on my Garud until I saw him in my sleep. The wood is, I believe, the dark variety of Saatisal, but I wouldn't swear to that. My main goal was to clean up the carving details, and clean off the open areas (beak, cheeks, and handle area) sufficiently to open the grain to accept oil. In the small areas, a drop of oil to soften the old finish, so it can be routed out with the point of a toothpick, is all that can be accomplished safely. Any point too hard, or even to much pressure with a toothpick, can break off or chip out the more delicate carving, especially if the oil softens it. There are hard and soft areas in any piece of wood, so great care is necessary. I didn't bring out a great deal of grain on mine, except in the handle area, but after about five long tedious coats, the carving has a glow it didn't have before. Some areas have to be oiled with a Q-Tip, dried out with same before it sets, and the cotton picked out with toothpicks. To me, it was worth it. Of course, when it comes to wood, I'm not quite sane. Hell, when it comes to beautiful wood, I'm mad as a hatter :D

I'm too lazy and too busy, believe it or not, to devote a lot of time to wood chuckery.

But listen to Wal and you won't go wrong.

Here, I let the dust bunnies take care of the handles.

rather dubious humour about tung/tongue oil

[/B]

I thought those were classic moments of comedy :eek:. :rolleyes:

There was also other things on the chucking of wood but I don't remember the thread titles either. It seems that when Walosi posts about wood he always adds something new.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee

I thought those were classic moments of comedy :eek:. :rolleyes:

Me too - that's why I think the humour's rather dubious. ;)

B.

Walosi: the term "mad as a hatter" came about because at that time, hatters were crazy. Occupational hazard.

Nowadays we know better, but at that time quicksilver ( mercury ) was used in the making of the fur felt.

Once the toxicity became known, they switched to a different method and the hatters continued their eccentricities simply because they were exppected to act mad, and they weren't going to give up the leeway that had been earned by their forerunners thru heavy metal poisoning.

Just thought those of you who hadn't heard of the origin of the phrase might be interested.

( PS: don't try to kill a Nevadan with rat poison. We already get high arsenic levels in our drinking water out in the boonies. It just don't taste right with it left out. )

Originally posted by Rusty
Walosi: the term "mad as a hatter" came about because at that time, hatters were crazy. Occupational hazard.

Nowadays we know better, but at that time quicksilver ( mercury ) was used in the making of the fur felt.

Hey Rusty - you're treading on my turf (etymology)! ;)

But, yes, you're right, hatters tend to become progressively crazier as they aged. Quicksilver takes a while before its effects set in.

And the accompanying term 'mad as a march hare' is supposed to come from the 'rutting season' - though why march is singled out from the spring months, I dunno. Probably just because it alliterates.

cheers, B.

Both of you guys are putting too much into this. IIRC, from one of docpat's posts, the correct clinical pschycologist's term is "LOONY" haha haha. :rolleyes:

They don't call Mercury, NV mercury for nothing.

Rusty, get a fawcett filter and pour a vial of mercury into it. Does wonders for the taste.

Beo: no offense intended. I go back to the days before Bladeforums when you had to talk back to yourself just to keep a thread alive. Sometimes I revert to my old ways without thinking. For that matter I never saw where a moderator was required to be able to think, just BRAY loudly. HEE-HAW y'all!

Originally posted by Rusty
Beo: no offense intended. I go back to the days before Bladeforums when you had to talk back to yourself just to keep a thread alive. Sometimes I revert to my old ways without thinking. For that matter I never saw where a moderator was required to be able to think, just BRAY loudly. HEE-HAW y'all!

Rusty - you do know I was just joking, right? :)

No problem with keeping threads alive here!

B.

the correct clinical pschycologist's term is "LOONY" haha haha.
And loony is derived by shortening & alteration from lunatic, from Latin luna; from the belief that lunacy fluctuated with the phases of the moon. Full moon = full-blown bull goose loony. So howcome I feel so nuts tonight?:D

I don't need a full moon. A street light and a good chunk of wood will tip me over the edge :rolleyes: :D

Ben, I just re-read my drivel, and I wasn't trying to dissuade you from refinishing your Garud, by any means. It is one of those tasks that brings its' own rewards, but can turn to gloom f yu aren't a devil for the details.

Bruise, my memory (especially of late) is more tactile than mental. The "add-ons" I posted only came up when I ran a thumb over my Garud, and thought about giving it a few more coats.

Back