Inganeþ se Wyrm (Old Eng.='Enter the Dragon'), or, Giving Garud the Walosi Treatment

When is the piece ever finished?;) I always find myself saying just one more coat and itll be perfect. Even after over a year on one piece, I still find myself working at it. :rolleyes: Makes me wonder sometimes what perfect is....

Just bought some low-gloss tung oil formulated by Rockler's. I'm expecting that one of the khuks that I have coming will be wood-handled (if not that will soon be fixed!). So I wanted to get in some practice on a wood-handled kitchen knife I recently ressurected and now like a lot. After only four layers, I can say that the woodchuck disease is as virulent as the others discussed on this thread. God save me!!!!

Don't worry Beo, I understand.

Maybe you can answer something I've wondered about, the phrase the "unkindest cut of all"? Just what is that and where - nobody seems to know ( or want to talk ) about it?

Originally posted by Walosi
Ben, I just re-read my drivel, and I wasn't trying to dissuade you from refinishing your Garud, by any means. It is one of those tasks that brings its' own rewards, but can turn to gloom f yu aren't a devil for the details.

Walosi - no worries - I actually wasn't disuaded from your last message either (should I have been - maybe I read it wrong ;) ). I know these sorts of projects though and I'm not necessarily in a hurry to start.....

B.

Originally posted by Rusty
Don't worry Beo, I understand.

Maybe you can answer something I've wondered about, the phrase the "unkindest cut of all"? Just what is that and where - nobody seems to know ( or want to talk ) about it?

Hi Rusty - sounds like it might refer to circumcision (or worse...), but the phrase is actually the most unkindest cut of all (double superlative, not 'proper' in modern standard english) - I'll give my standard answer - it's from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. :D

No, really it is - Act III, Scene II:

This was the most unkindest cut of all; for when the noble Caesar saw him [Brutus] stab, Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms, Quite vanquished him: then burst his mighty hearty

From Marc Anthony speech, referring to the slaying of Caesar, and particularly to the betrayal of Caesar by Brutus - there is a sort double meaning between the actual cut of Brutus' knife and the 'cut' of Caesar being betrayed by one he so trusted, I believe.

Still wondering about the 'doves of war' thing - it does sound like a Scandinavian thing - it may be a 'kenning' for raven. Old English like 'kennings' too - hilde-leoma, lit. 'battle-flame' is a kenning for a "sword" in OE. Or swan-rad, lit. 'swan-road' is a kenning for "the sea". Old Norse uses even more of these than Old ENglish, so I'm guessing the phrase might originate in one of these - 'dove of war' = "raven" -- there's a similar example of 'dove of war' that I do know, but can't think of it right now.

B.

Wal,
You "sane"?? Not even close ,that's why you get along so well with the other members!"Looney", this term fits Burke to a "T"!You all opened the door ,"watch out for Paxton"!
jim

Rog,
NOT ME!! By now you ought to be able to recognize the dif. & see that I might just possibly be the "only" sane one here! However ,I don't let THAT stand in the way of my being here!
jim

finally got round to taking some pics of this beautiful khukuree, though I haven't walosified it yet, one can see the beautiful carving of the handle:

hi-garud-01.jpg

hi-garud-02.jpg

hi-garud-03.jpg

B

Great pictures Beo.

Tweaking up that carving should be a good, long and relaxing project. Don't get in a hurry!

Good pics. I've never seen pic of one up close before. Is there enough room to get your hand around that handle to use it?

is it just me? I'm really interested in this topic and those first links didn't work... any other way I can get the info?

Resurrection Alert

No...you just have to sort of devote some time to searching up the old threads. On top of that, the archive section has tons more!

My AK Garud has the rivets standing "proud" of the wood. I would like to sand the whole thing down level, but I don't know how much material I can take off the rivet heads before I am in trouble. Any clues?
The details of Garud finishing here are great, BTW.

YOW!!! (quoting my favorite cartoon pinhead)...

It is good to see that Wal and Beo are both still asround and kicking, and in the same thread, no less'

That's all, lest Paxton dig up another more gut-yanking pic than the last one--ya bastid. I fergot those bits of one of my faovorite comix.

(Taking a last peek in my shorts), firkin.

wow those are good pix! I can't find much about garud polishing anywhere, alot about regular wood handles but you wouldn't want to use sandpaper on a garud right?.... any advice? Sorry for raising this old thread from the dead, I was searching and when I replied I didn't realize how old it was....

Back