Initial Impressions of the Camillus EDC

I just got in my Camillus EDC today, so I thought I’d spew out a few comments on it. The first thing you notice about this knife is its looks. It’s totally non-threatening looking. While technically being a tactical style design, the nicely rounded shapes and smallish size give it more of a pocketknife feel than a tactical feel. This doesn’t look like any kind of deadly self-defense folder. It’s just a well-designed multipurpose knife. Darrel Ralph described it perfectly when he named it the EDC (Every Day Carry). The EDC is the epitome of the working knife.

The big surprise comes when you open up the EDC for the first time. The solid lock-up reveals a sensational blade shape. The blade has tons of belly, instantly compelling you to start cutting up boxes and other household items. And compelled I was……. I instantly starting cutting my UPS box into nice thin strips, easily slicing through the cardboard with the shaving sharp edge. This is the workingman’s blade shape. It’s meant for doing chores, not just flicking out and looking good. My next chore was my afternoon snack, a nice big orange. Let’s just say that the orange didn’t have a chance.
smile.gif

The frame lock held perfectly through its initial ordeal. I really like this lock design. It’s rock solid, repeatedly passing spine whack tests without a hint of a problem. The lock is actually much stronger than a knife of this size really needs to be. While I’m talking about size, Darrel really packed a whole lot of blade into a small package. He didn’t waste any room at all. The EDC gives you as much blade as a handle this size could possibly hold. If that means extra room in my pocket for other odds and ends, I’m all for it!!!

After all that cutting and slicing, I figured that I’d give my nice new EDC a good cleaning. You can’t get much easier to clean than this baby. It’s a very simple design. Every piece of this knife has a use, shunning away from extra needless pieces that complicate maintenance and cleaning. A small rinse of water and a quick dry was all it took. Everything about the EDC cries of the word “simple”. The best comparison I can make is to the venerable Mitchell 300 fishing reel. There are lots of exotic reels, with lots of eye-catching features, bells and whistles. All of these features are fun to play with, but I wouldn’t take one anywhere far from home. A whole lot of extras add up to whole lot of reasons for malfunctions. The Mitchell 300 is about as simple a reel design as you can get, and always works when the chips are down. The EDC is made in the very same fashion. It’s a simple, hard working knife, with no glitzy baubles to get in the way of efficiency.

The simple design does not detract from the looks of the EDC though. The skeletonized handle is tastefully done, and the curves of the handle are extremely stylish. There’s none of that ugly texturized G10 to kill its appeal. It’s just slick and sexy looking in a natural sort of way; kind of like a truly beautiful woman who has no need for excess make-up.

My last compliment will go to the great pocket clip. This is a clip that actually keeps the knife in your pocket. While it seems that many manufacturers sell pocket clips as a way of ensuring continual sales, I’m confident that the EDC will never fall out my jeans pocket. Once it’s in, there’s no sliding around. The release from your pocket is firm, but doesn’t feel like something will tear your clothing to shreads.

All in all, Darrel Ralph and Camillus did a sensational job with the EDC. They set out to make a perfect folding pocketknife that would easily handle everyday tasks. All that great performance and easy maintenance to boot. You can’t ask for much better….. except for a Talonite blade, anodized handles, and beautiful file work. Oh yah. That’s why we have Darrel making customs for us.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Buzzbait (edited 03-28-2001).]

Nice review Buzzbait. I can hardly wait to get my hands on one of these babies.

T

Great review, BB! I'm really looking forward to my 154CM version.

BTW, I like your analogy to the Mitchell 300. I still have a couple of them bouncing around.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian
(formerly bcaffrey)
He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Thanks for the compliments. The EDC must be pretty sweet looking. My wife took one look at it, and had me ordering up more EDCs for herself and her father!!! And after bringing mine into work today, two guys at work ordered them!!! The EDC fever is catching!!!

I can't wait for the 154CM version. That will be a knife for all the other manufacturers to contend with.

Buzz
You hit the nail on the head. No frills, a little sex, cuts good, slim , easy to carry and maintain. The Camillus design group requires function first . Then we add the curves and whistles.
Glad you like it!

The perfect knife ?

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

Buzzbait, I agree with what you said. I got mine last week and have been toting it around and it's a great daily carry piece. Relatively lightweight, very slim and rides comfortably. Wonder if we can talk Darrel into making a custom one this size with ti? That would be pretty sweet
smile.gif

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Living life on the edge

How do you think this compares to the Outdoor Edge Paragee? It seems as though Outdoor Edge is using better blade steel.

I am looking forward to getting an EDC with 154-CM from 1SKS.

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darrel Ralph:
Then we add the curves and whistles.
</font>

Geeeeez, I didn't know it had a whistle?
I thought just S&W made your knives with whistles?
Now I really can't wait to get mine.
biggrin.gif

Whistle? Who needs a whistle?

Now...... If I really wanted to add a great feature to the EDC........ I wonder if it would be possible to extend one of the skeleton holes in the handle all the way to the edge of the handle, thus creating a cord ripper? I'd love a cord ripper for cutting twine and yo-yo strings.
smile.gif

Is the Paragee even available yet? It looks like a pretty nifty knife, but may have a hard time in the consumer's eye. People may perceive it as being another M16, but without the Carson Flipper. I wouldn't, but did notice a resemblance when I looked at a picture quickly. I even think they use the same steel. AUS8?

I love the unique look and nature of the EDC. It has a distinctive style that no one else has achieved.

I finally got my EDC today and Buzz it's everything you said it was, my wife liked it also. I always worry about these knives without scales filling my hand, but it wasn't a problem on this knife. It feels great in the hand, especially in a reverse grip. I was really surprised. As Buzz said the belly on this knife makes it a serious cutter.

I'm going to be using this as the name suggests EDC to replace the Spydie/Walker I usually carry in my right front pocket. This knife is so thin I may just carry it IWB and free up that pocket?

Buzz thanks for the great review.
Darrel thanks for the great knife, but mine didn't have any whistle.
frown.gif

Phil - the EDC carries very well IWB. This is how I carry mine most of the time. It's thin, flat, relatively lightweight, and a high mounted clip - perfect IWB carry qualities IMHO

------------------
Proud member: AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Living life on the edge

Hope the 1SKS gets my 154CM EDC here soon. I also hope that my small Sebenza doesn't get jealous.

Buzzbait,

Could you or anyone else care to compare it to other framelock folders? I just ordered 3 from 1sks. TIA.

------------------
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.", King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

I'm afraid that my Camillus EDC is my first frame lock. I will say that it blows away the average production liner lock. I feel a lot better making heavy cuts with an EDC than I do with something like a mid-range liner lock. I'm an old lockback fan, but the frame lock may turn my head from most other locking mechanisms.

I did a lot of searching this weekend, looking for $125.00 larger sized folder. I didn't find anything that I was really happy with. Nothing had the steel, handle, and lock I was after. I think I'll save up my money and order up a Darrel custom or Sebenza. The Camillus EDC has ruined me on average production knives.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buzzbait:
I'm afraid that my Camillus EDC is my first frame lock. I will say that it blows away the average production liner lock. I feel a lot better making heavy cuts with an EDC than I do with something like a mid-range liner lock. I'm an old lockback fan, but the frame lock may turn my head from most other locking mechanisms.

I did a lot of searching this weekend, looking for $125.00 larger sized folder. I didn't find anything that I was really happy with. Nothing had the steel, handle, and lock I was after. I think I'll save up my money and order up a Darrel custom or Sebenza. The Camillus EDC has ruined me on average production knives.
</font>

Thanks, Buzzbait!

Actually I was looking for direct comparison between the sebenza and the Camilus EDC. I have handled the sebenza line and have been bandying around the idea of a Ralph Custom EDC or a Mayo TNT or the Sebenza. Yes, without trying to start a flame war I was looking for a sebenza or sebenza like replacement on the cheap.

Could you comment on the lockup? Any lateral or up and down wobble? TIA.

------------------
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child.", King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

It seems that we're both in the same dilemma. The Seb and Darrel's designs are the only knives that are really attracting me at this point. I have high price tastes, and a much smaller budget. I may be in pretty good financial shape come the start of summer though. I'll have to pray about the new 1SKS contest for now!!!!

The Camillus EDC's lockup is very nice. It's totally solid, with no wobble whatsoever. I'm very impressed, given the price. I feel more comfortable with the EDC's lock than I do with my CRKT KFF, even with the LAWKS engaged. The 420HC on the standard model isn't even all that bad. It's much better than I thought it would be. I've been using the heck out of mine, and haven't had any issues with it yet.

The 154CM EDC should be absolutely to die for. Is there any other knife in its price range that features 154CM and an improved locking system? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If I was to mention anything even remotely negative about the EDC after a bit of time in my pocket...... there just isn't much bad to say. The skeletonized frame tends to collect a lot of pocket dust, but a quick blow at the end of the day takes care of that. Other than that, the only thing I could mention is the finish on the blade itself. The area around the sharp edge tends to be more polished than the rest of the blade. Not that I care though. This is a working knife, so the blade will be look less than perfect soon anyways.

The EDC is just a great small pocket knife. I really hope the EDC is successful enough for Camillus to expand the line with a couple different sizes. I'd love to get a larger version for my outdoor activities this summer. Better yet, a larger version with Talonite.

My bet is that, if you pick up a Camillus EDC, you'll be forced by the incredible power of Darrel to purchase one his customs.

Darrel,
Just out of curiosity, how much weigh did you shave off the EDC with the cut-outs?

Shane

Back