Recommendation? Inkosi lockbar tension.

I just got my first CRK and I think the lockup is settling down pretty nicely as seen on picture below.

But I have question about propper spring tension on lockup bar. Opening the knife is SO hard, I suppose it should get better with time. But now, unless I lose the pivot too much, the knife is pretty hard to open without difficulty, even if Im careful not to press down on the bar while opening knife. Is there any way how to find out if the tension is too hight? I thought about pressing it against scale until it unlocks or something like that. Is there defined range for lock bar resistance? Or something like that?

20190319-101846.jpg

I found placing the butt of the handle in your palm, then pushing upwards on the thumb stud makes a bit easier to open. Once it starts breaking in, you can readjust the pivot ever so slightly. It took around six months for mine to start breaking in. It's much better than new & keeps getting better.

Is it hard to open all the way through the opening, or is it only hard when initially freeing up the detent? I think it’s pretty much normal for the knife to be tight when it’s brand new, but I’ve never had this experience personally.
It might not hurt to take it apart, clean and re-lube, placing a tiny bit of lube along the detent track. When you get the pivot dialed in to the sweet spot, the Loctite should keep it from getting loose. Regardless, inevitably over time, it will become very smooth and hydraulic in feel. Good luck and enjoy!

Is it hard to open all the way through the opening, or is it only hard when initially freeing up the detent?

Only when overcoming detent, rest of the travel is nice. I noticed that different grip has influence on how much force I have to develp on the thumbstud, but overall its always too much I think.

My suggestion would be to follow the other advice here and work through it as opposed to sending it in for an adjustment. I had one that I sent in and then wished I never had. The adjustment made the lock bar pressure so light that I could disengage it back at the relief mill inside the scale with absolute minimal pressure. That led me to believe the safety was potentially compromised.

Only when overcoming detent, rest of the travel is nice. I noticed that different grip has influence on how much force I have to develp on the thumbstud, but overall its always too much I think.
If the travel is nice and smooth, adjusting the lock bar tension might not be the issue.
The grip has a lot to do with it, in my experience. Dogdrawz Dogdrawz gave some good advice. If you’re using an “upward C” type of motion vs pressing into the stud when opening with the butt in your palm, and it’s still really tight, I’d try disassembling, clean the ceramic ball, maybe put a tiny dab of lube on it and the detent track, then adjust the pivot carefully during reassembly. There is some break-in time required for many of them.

ETA: Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky, since I’ve never had a really difficult time with any of mine. Some are harder than others, but not like what you’re describing. But I’ve never had one get worse after a cleaning and lube, so that’s where I’d start. Good luck! :)

Don't forget to give your thumb a "Sebbie break" before you get "Sebbie thumb". You know you've got "Sebbie thumb" when your digit progresses from hurt, then tingle to finally numb. Don't do that. It stinks. :thumbsdown:

Edit: Or would you call it, "Inkosi thumb"? "CRK thumb"? :confused:

Don't forget to give your thumb a "Sebbie break" before you get "Sebbie thumb". You know you've got "Sebbie thumb" when your digit progresses from hurt, then tingle to finally numb. Don't do that. It stinks. :thumbsdown:

Edit: Or would you call it, "Inkosi thumb"? "CRK thumb"? :confused:

Lol, I already got it :/ my gf compared both thumbs and the one, I use to open my CRK, is noticeably rougher, and that only after 4 days of owning the knife :D So I think that I have to stop playing with the knife!

Lol, I already got it :/ my gf compared both thumbs and the one, I use to open my CRK, is noticeably rougher, and that only after 4 days of owning the knife :D So I think that I have to stop playing with the knife!

Use your thumb nail to break the detent until it breaks in. Heck. Flick the damn thing . Nothing bad will happen :)

Just use that rough thumb where it will bring pleasure ;)

I’ve only had mine delivered today. I too have found slightly different grips make a difference in ease of opening. That said, it is always smooth as silk once I get it going. Of course beyond day one I hope the ease of opening will get better and better.

I suspect that is due to the knife training me, not the other way around. Sort of like my relationship with my spouse of 40 plus years :D

Back