Inkosi or Sebenza 31

So I’m thinking of taking the plunge and buying my first CRK, which will be, by far, the most expensive knife I’ve purchased. I’m looking to get the knife that will offer me lifelong durability through daily EDC usage. I’ve been really leaning towards the Inkosi since it seems to have a few solid upgrades over the Sebenza 21 that make it a bit more strong and durable. First would people agree with this? Second, how will the Sebenza 31 stack up to the Inkosi? What are the major differences between the two?

For some follow up info, I’ll be getting a lefty version, probably plain Jane unless someone strongly suggests otherwise. I’ve been going back and forth on size because I do like knives I can carry discreetly, making smaller ones more attractive, but have been considering the large since it seems to not be something too big for comfortable carry.

The main mechanical difference between the 31 and inkosi is the pivot. The 31 will have a bushing that rides between the scales and over the pivot screw. This keeps the scales evenly spaced with essentially “fixed” tension on the washers, no matter how hard one cranks down the pivot screw. (That’s the same as a 21)

The Inkosi lacks the bushing, allowing one to adjust pivot tension and thereby the action.

I have large and small 21’s and Inkosis. I can honestly tell you that my favorite CRK is whichever happens to be in my pocket at any given moment!

For me, that’s usually a Tanto Umnumzaan or small DP Inkosi pj....except when it’s not. ;)

ETA: The small Inkosi and small Sebenza take up very little space in the pocket and have just enough blade to remain incredibly functional cutting tools. If you’re after a “pocket & forget it” type EDC, that’s where I would lead you. If you’re after a working knife or have a preference for more substantial knives, go large.

Last edited:
You need to try them in hand. The feeling is different and the finger grooves of the Inkosi are not for everyone. I kinda like them but I prefer the Sebenza.

You need to try them in hand. The feeling is different and the finger grooves of the Inkosi are not for everyone. I kinda like them but I prefer the Sebenza.
And, to play devil's advocate, I didn't care for the large 21; but I actually like the large inkosi. Be aware that the small inkosi is pretty small...I prefer the small 21 over the small inkosi; but the small 21 is far from my first choice when I want a small modern folder.
Of course, with the question being 31 vs inkosi, the above is of questionable relevance. I haven't handled a 31; so I can only say that I dislike the large pj 21, tolerated the large micarta 21 until I purchased my large micarta inkosi (then I sold the 21). I sort of like the small WC 21 - but I suppose it bears mentioning that I haven't tried another small since just after the sebenza switched to BG42 (and I didn't care for that pj version).
My recommendation is to find a way to handle one first, before you buy. If that isn't an option; buy secondhand, so you don't lose much if you decide to sell.

If you don't have the ability to try them in hand I say get whichever floats your boat.

I have had large and small 21s and Wilson Combat versions. Loved the looks ended up selling them.

I got the Small Inkosi Insingo by accident which I thought I was gonna hate, lotsa reviewers said was too small. Turns out it's either in my head or it feels slightly beefier than the 21 to me and it was beefier in width. Turned out I could live with the finger grooves as I love the blade shape. One of my favorite tiny carry folders I think they open better than 21s too. All subjective of course. Good news is at the right price users buy and sell for almost the same price. So you have a chance at trying them all for not a lot of cash lost if you are really ocd about only having the 1 perfect CRK for you.

A lot of the CRK nutters will just say to get more than one model and size.

I really love the small 21, but hated the small inkosi because I had to actually arrange my grip for it to be comfortable. I don’t have narrow fingers, maybe that is the issue.. I do not know. It turned me off from buying a large inkosi as as I do not know what to expect. Loved the idea of the inkosi and am super excited about a 31.

To add to what's already been stated, the Inkosi blade is a little thicker than the 21/31.
IMO, the Inkosi is the smoothest CRK out of the box, really doesn't need any break in time for it to become smooth like the 21. Can't make the same comparison on the 31.

Hi @Mandible so many of the other posters have many many years of experience and ownership and I myself would take there advice over anyone else's off this forum. Maybe a couple other members from the CRK community that I think really know there stuff I would look for before I made up my mine and I'm sure they will be around shortly. With that said welcome to your newly acquired rabbit hunt. As a fellow lefty you are gonna find they don't come up on the secondary market often and when they do this jerk south Paw draw is lerking around picking off some of the nice ones. All kidding aside. They really dont come up often and once you have the CRK bug being a lefty you think your only gonna get one. But it turns out you will want more. My personal favorite is the umnumzaan drop point. But that's because I only have the drop point. Need err want a tanto. If your looking to decide between a 31 and the inkosi. Get a inkosi. Don't wait over a year to put this fine quality knife in your pocket. You need , naa you owe this knife to yourself. Weather it's a plain jane or a inlays model get one and put it in your pocket. As for size. The small was just to small in my hand. I was able to try one in hand at a local store. Be it a righty be still. And feel free to pm me. I'm a new CRK fanboy picked up the first one about 3 months ago. Here is my small collection. 20191118_135601.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty well all the mechanical differences have been stated. If all possible holding in hand would be the best way to go about it. I have no dealers anywhere around me. The finger grooves are something some people do not like on the Inkosi. For me they don’t bother me. The only time I notice them is during draw cuts. Doesn’t bother me but I do notice them then. As others have stated my favorite Crk is whichever is in my pocket at the time. I can’t pick a true winner. The Inkosi does have a more robust feel to it and a little more overbuilt with the larger pivot and washers, with thicker blade. I do not doubt my sebenza in any situation tho. I work with mine and either can perform any tasks I need. I also tend to agree with others asking if you may want to pick up a used 21 first?
For me the large is best. It carries very well and I don’t notice mine. I own a small but it very rarely gets any pocket time. I have worked with it and it’s not that bad I just prefer large.
I think I’d pick up a large Inkosi first. Then pick up a 31 a little later when they come out. Or if you like the Inkosi just stick with it. If not sell it and pick up a 21 or 31.

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I wish I had the option to hold the knives in hand but I unfortunately live in a place with no dealers nearby. I even looked at neighboring states and nothing too promising.

I’ve been leaning towards the Inkosi just because it seems easier to disassemble and reassemble and seems a bit sturdier in build. I would consider picking one up used but it seems lefties are hard to come by and the ones I’ve seen have been close enough (~$50) cheaper than new that I’d rather pay the difference for that. I’ll keep looking though. My goal is to get one that I really really like to try to prevent the addiction of getting more. Might be inevitable in the long run but I’ll try to take care of my bank account in the short term at least

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I wish I had the option to hold the knives in hand but I unfortunately live in a place with no dealers nearby. I even looked at neighboring states and nothing too promising.

I’ve been leaning towards the Inkosi just because it seems easier to disassemble and reassemble and seems a bit sturdier in build. I would consider picking one up used but it seems lefties are hard to come by and the ones I’ve seen have been close enough (~$50) cheaper than new that I’d rather pay the difference for that. I’ll keep looking though. My goal is to get one that I really really like to try to prevent the addiction of getting more. Might be inevitable in the long run but I’ll try to take care of my bank account in the short term at least
First thing I would do is drop $10 on a paid membership. Its easier for some members who are lefties that might have one and are willing to maybe cut you a good to great deal to PM you. Without it your just left looking on the forums. Take the initiative and make it easier for us lefties to reach out to you. It's only $10 and gives us a way to say " hi I have a inkosi and I'm fixing to upgrade. Seen you where interested and thought I'd give you first grab at mine before that jerk south Paw draw grabs it off the forums." Or for this jerk south Paw draw to hit you up and maybe give you a good deal on one because he maybe has a line on an upgrade. Just food for thought.

Be patient when stalking the Exchange.
Lefties pop up.
But I agree with you, for $50, I’d probably go new as well.

And if you’re stalking the Exchange, indeed it’s well worth the $10 to be able to PM within the forum. It’s the easiest way to communicate with a seller.
You get to feel like you’re supporting the community too.

What state do you live in you might be close to one us other lefties? Or you might at least have someone in your area that has any Reeve knives that you could meet for a coffee and check them out. Most of us knife nuts like to meet other knife nuts. Are there any knife shows that is also a great place to check them out. All the best in your hunt.

As a fellow lefty, I know how frustrating it can be waiting for the knife you want to be available (used or new) in left hand configuration. eBay has plenty of fakes and scamers for sure, but left handed CRKs tend to be the real thing, as it's just not worth it to create fakes for such a small market. I recently got a personal grail knife there, a small Carbon Fiber 21 Insingo. The price was decent, it had all the paperwork and packaging, and as a dealer exclusive these models were a rarity even when in full production. I jumped on it because there is not much chance I'll see another one on the used market and it may be years (or never) before a CF Insingo 31 becomes commercially available.

All the more reason for crk to design a medium flipper 3.25" blade! One can dream....

Back