Innovative Chef's knife

marchone

Gold Member
This appears to address the bolster issue of the much maligned Wustof design.

zn7T6ZG.jpg

http://perfinne.no/portfolio/umami-santoku/

Last edited:
The shadows may it look like there is a bolster. Regardless, the Wustof Ikon is already bolsterless, as are a number of other German & French chef's knives. Gyutos are, of course, bolsterless.
I object to calling this a santoku, as it is not a (modified or not) wharny. It also lacks the virtue of a point, which the design can clearly support without issue.
Personally I'd likely prefer more handle just for balance. I also don't see people put their index finger on the spine except when they want to be exceptionally accurate.

By creating as longer, clunkier bolster? You do realize that the "choil" area transitions from flat to round, right? Maybe I am not seeing correctly, but it appears to me that pershpa as much as an inch of the "edge up but the heel is pretty much useless on this blade. No idea why the point is rounded off.
This appears to address the bolster issue of the much maligned Wustof design.

zn7T6ZG.jpg

http://perfinne.no/portfolio/umami-santoku/

I saw something earlier today along those lines. I’ll find it later.

From what I saw in their own promotional video, Wusthof forge welds their bolsters like Zwilling? I recall that at least one of the other German cutlery firms still actually drop forges their blades, but I can't remember which one. I believe that a number of the French firms still do it the old way, but as best as I can tell, they do that because it is the old way.
The shadows may it look like there is a bolster. Regardless, the Wustof Ikon is already bolsterless, as are a number of other German & French chef's knives. Gyutos are, of course, bolsterless.
I object to calling this a santoku, as it is not a (modified or not) wharny. It also lacks the virtue of a point, which the design can clearly support without issue.
Personally I'd likely prefer more handle just for balance. I also don't see people put their index finger on the spine except when they want to be exceptionally accurate.

Last edited:
“Appears to address” is not “solves the problem”.

Last edited:
I remember the knives within knives gimmick where your entire kitchen knife set fits inside the largest knife like one of those Russian dolls also won some big design award. ;)

Back