Inside of a unlined sheath / neatsfoot oil

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
This is an old failed project that I now used to try out pure neatsfoot oil.
It has a single coat of oil, rubbed out and left in the sun for two days.
I'm happy with the colour but after a week the inside still looks "dry".
Isn't it supposed to go all the way trough the leather and darken the inside as well?
Or should I also apply a thin coat to the inside? (on real projects)

Or is there something else to treat the inside of a sheath with?

IMG-20190707-133114.jpg

IMG-20190707-133137.jpg

I don't do anything on the inside of a sheath, holsters etc. Color looks good to me and so does your oil penetration. You sure don't want to get so much oil on it that it is coming through to the inside. So this holster is for my Glock 43. Its been worn almost daily for a couple of years now. Its made from Wickett and Craig 8/10 oz russet saddle leather. One light coat of oil when I made it, on the outside and thats been it. Finished with Fiebings Bag Kote. Its been outside in all kind of weathers.

FNAvylz.jpg

PZ6dhF7.jpg

92lmGhZ.jpg

In the past I've oiled the inside of a holster that had a strap coming over the top, (just the strap part) as it seemed dry. Wished I hadn't as it took a very long time for the oil to set and get a uniform color, several months. Nowadays I use a cream conditioner on the inside of a strap type holster. But again not on the whole body just the strap as it needs to be flexible where it comes over the pistol.

Thnx. What does bag kote do?

Its a finish that seals the leather some. Gives a nice satin finish to the leather without making it plastic looking. Helps keep dust and grime out of the pores. Gives your work a very professional, classy look. Rich and elegant I guess, just finished.

MVdyF4D.jpg

mNwlzl9.jpg

One more question, do you apply it over the stitching and does it darken the stitching?

Yes I do and no it doesn't. I use an old t shirt stretched tight over a couple of fingers as an applicator

Back