Insingo or drop point? Trying to decide

Terry M.

Platinum Member
I'm going to order my first Sebenza tomorrow and am still teetering on which blade shape to get. Can anyone give me advantages/disadvantages one way or the other on the shapes?
I looked through all the pages of this forum and didnt see this question asked so if it was and I missed it, kindly direct me to where I should look.

Thank you in advance for your time and, as always, pictures are greatly encouraged. ;)

*edit* apologies. I meant to say CLIP point. I must have had a brain fart. Thank you.

Last edited:
I EDC a small micarta insingo Sebenza and I love it. Both blade shapes are great but for a small sebenza I prefer the insingo shape. Better for smaller tasks such as food prep and opening boxes. For a large sebenza I like the traditional drop point blade shape.

I like the insingo blade best. Better slicer, easier to sharpen (for me), more meat behind the tip for when you need to puncture something. The clip has a "sharper" tip, and is better for fine puncture work, but in my day to day the insingo just works better.

I have a large Insingo, which I love, and for pure cutting it is hard to beat. It has more usable blade length (at least for my tasks) than the traditional blade. That said the original blade is very sexy so from a very shallow perspective I might get that one for my first. You won't likely get divorced and you will enjoy the honeymoon. If you ever get to the point when the flame starts to dwindle, marriage becomes less of a word and more of a sentence, and the old ball and chain really starts to bring you down ... well on that dark and dreary night glued to your screen you can order the Insingo and within a few short days the spark will be back.

I EDC a small micarta insingo Sebenza and I love it. Both blade shapes are great but for a small sebenza I prefer the insingo shape. Better for smaller tasks such as food prep and opening boxes. For a large sebenza I like the traditional drop point blade shape.

This. my small is an insingo and large is a clip point. Can't go wrong either way however. I prefer to carry the large usually.

For me, it's the small Insingo. First - the blade shape is much more useful, the "not not too pointy" tip is good for me as the standard blade tends to cut ME.:)
Second- the Insingo thumb lug sits farther "out" from the handle making it easier to open.

I love my small Insingo with micarta inlay and carry it all the time - great size, extremely useful blade shape (something that gets the whole cutting surface involved and thus maximizes cutting performance)…it's the way to go IMHO.

I have both the large and small 21 drop points. And love both of them, with the large being my preference. But, I've really been looking at the large Insingo. Looking at the Insingo, I can see how useful it would be. And I'm sure the Insingo blade shape would be easier to sharpen also. Not that the drop point is hard to sharpen, but it just has move curve.

Thank you all. I've decided the large is what I want to get but as of right now I'm STILL trying to decide on the blade shape.

Either way you really can't go wrong. I've both and they both work just fine for my mundane daily blade needs. Myself, I like the Insingo blade best.

The thing is, no matter which you settle on, you're always going to wonder about the other. So you'll end up getting both just to see.

So I'd get one, then just plan on down the road you're going to pick up another. Very good deals can be had on the exchange for ones that are in very good shape.

And having two is better than one. :)

I was in the same dilemma!

Ever wonder why traditional box cutter blade is shaped the way it is?

Without any thoughts, I have always drawn to traditional knife shape such as clip, spear and such with the eye appealing curve up belly to a thin point. Then finally, I saw the merits on the Wharncliff shape with its singular utilitarian usefulness.

What enticed me to the CRK Insingo is the modified sheepsfoot/Wharncliff. A style combined utilitarian and slice ability along with its stout point - if I could have only one useful knife! Whats not to like right?

Decision was made, my large Insingo was drop shipped to CRK from BladeHQ last Monday for double thumb lugs install and I was informed by CRK on last Wed. the 15th, they will ship out my Insingo on 10/16. CRK didn't provide an tracking number, well.....so now, just waiting for the surprise.

As far as CRK is concerned, large Insingo will satisfy me for the time being, unless CRK comes out with other choice of super steel, higher HT on the RC scale other then the 58/59. Especially an Insingo shape on the 25 along with the aforementioned attributes. Wishful thinking right?

HTHs from my CRK deciding factor!

Since know one has thrown any pictures in and you did ask :) I will put one up just for the sheer anticipation of it all. I don't have a photo of large to large but I have this of my large Micarta Insingo next to my small inlay with the regular blade grind. It's a hard choice, neither one is wrong and you will likely end up with both.

Quick check on BladeHQ site shown other then the Carbon inlay, large Insingo with Micarta or plain already out of stock. Large Sebenza still available in other flavors. Wonder why, CRK makes less Insingo?

OP, with the scarcity on the large Insingo, maybe your choice is now limited, maybe that help you solidify your decision. Unless other vendor carries more in stock!

Glad I ordered last weekend.

Definitely leaning toward the plain, large Insingo as of right now.

I own small and large Classics and also small and large Insingos. Me Insingos are used the most by far. The blade shape is just perfect for every day use.

Back