• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Insurance ?

I’m guessing maybe it was a German or European policy issue. I googled it and found similar stories on some random Australian forum.

I’m pretty sure in the US they’d refund you out of their own money. Different laws and regulations, I guess.

I could see that being a possibility, given that Americans would have easier ways to contact and bother paypal about it back then and get their money from them. Some random overseas problem could be easier brushed off.

This comes up periodically. It's very simple. Insurance is to protect the shipper, not the buyer.
Even if buyer agrees that the seller is not responsible after it's dropped off for Shipping, see how well that works out when item is not received and buyer files a claim.
I would not deal with a seller that tries to shift a responsibility that is clearly and legally theirs to the buyer.

I always pay for insurance when I sell. If I'm buying something and the seller asks if I want to pay for insurance, I decline; I pay via G&S so it's no sweat off my back if the package doesn't make it, because I know I'm covered. Seems like a no-brainer.

I guess it's time to ressurect this thread. The last two sales threads both ask the buyer to pay for insurance. One is a relative newcomer and one is a respected long time seller. C"mon guys!

So who's on the hook for a knife that does not get there? IMO it's the seller. That's why on knives over $300 I insure and send signature verified. It's part of the transaction and usually adds about $20 to the deal. I only do G/S and as seller eat all fees. But do factor that into the price.

A seller asking for a buyer to pay for insurance is completely ridiculous. Anyone doing so is just trying to shirk their responsibility to get the package delivered, or is hoping for some extra money.
Either way, PayPal G&S guarantees that the buyer is entitled to receive the package, with or without postal insurance, which is difficult to collect on anyway

I'd add, most major shipping companies won't pay out an insurance claim if you, for example, drop a freshly sharpened unsheathed Busse in a paper bag, put a $1000 insurance on it, and scribble the address on the label in crayon in illegible doodles. The buyer has no control over these aspects, so it makes no sense for them too accept responsibility for them.

So who's on the hook for a knife that does not get there? IMO it's the seller. That's why on knives over $300 I insure and send signature verified. It's part of the transaction and usually adds about $20 to the deal. I only do G/S and as seller eat all fees. But do factor that into the price.
Yup. Buyer is buying a knife, they're not buying the seller shipping the knife and washing their hands of it all if it doesn't arrive.

I think sellers that don't factor in losses during shipping are making a mistake or just fooling themselves. They can self insure if they don't care to buy the insurance, but in the end they are going to be on the hook for the loss if they get paid by PP G&S. Thinking otherwise doesn't make it so.

I won’t buy from anyone who wants (or even hints) me to pay for insurance...I also generally ignore any transaction that has the term “net to me” in it...figure these things out, guys, and give me a total price...

I guess it's time to ressurect this thread. The last two sales threads both ask the buyer to pay for insurance. One is a relative newcomer and one is a respected long time seller. C"mon guys!
Out of curiosity, were they also asking for payment via F&F?

Back