Integral Folder "prototype"

I'm with Lurker.... a hidden retractable clip would be so very cool... Maybe a slip-on version??? I love my knives without the clip to hold, but they DO find a better home in my pocket with one.

OK, I'll bite--HOW did you get the ball in the 'liner'?? Hmmmmmm.....:confused: Very interesting machine work. This isn't a two-sided knife is it? (split)

Coop

WITH clip, AND tip UP UP UP. the tip up carry is the only way (short of a Spyderhole and awkward first grasp) or having a knife that opens in the position one first presents it in from the pocket. no repositioning of hand / finger required. people that get 'bitten' by tip up seem to want to ignore the laws of physics. and a clip is a NECESSITY, as one must be able to carry the knife. with keys in my pocket, it is cluttered enough in the bottom of the pocket as it is. a clip is a PERFECT way to carry a knife. man, i have been holding off on my next knife purchase for a while, but NO MORE!!! i simply MUST own one of these!!! btw, BEAUTIFUL work scott. simply astounding imho.

Wow! That is sweet. I would prefer a tip up clip, but I could live with tip down. Don't change a thing from this prototype.(Other than the possibility of a clip)

I'm definitely with the clip crowd, with my own preference being tip up, but I dont mind tip down. A clip can be very tricky and can easily ruin an awsome knife, I'm sure you will come up with something, Scott. If possible a clip that can be removed with little evidence of it ever being there (like the mnandi) would be great.

Awesome!
Hewn from a single block of Titanium it reminds me of the rolex oystercase - the complexity of putting it together but yet elegant in its 'simplicity'.
My opinion is that screwing on a clip on this piece is going against its raison d'etre (hope I spelled it correctly!)- unless its integral also which is a tall order

Great; this is all I need. Another knife that I just "Gotta have". :)

Seriously, this is one sweet looking folder! I guess I will have to get one of these to go along with my 2 large Cook hunters and my small Cook hunter.

Fantastic knife!I like clip's but I think it might
spoil the lines , unless you could fix it at the butt end, set into the end suface and curve it around to the outside .The knife would sit deep in the pocket with such a clip if it could be done.Tip up carry for me .
Paul

Well as far as the clip goes, it's unanimous. Everyone agrees that they want it their way.

Here's another idea: secure the clip using only the pivot screw and a small recess for the base of the clip. Provide a clip insert to fill the recess when the clip is removed. Now you have a really slick way to mount the clip that leaves the knife really "clean" and still only one screw on the entire knife which emphasizes the integral concept. When the clip is removed, it's still clean because there are no extra screw holes. The clip's position would hide the lock slot, which would help keep the lines clean and simple. The clip on the Kershaw Vapor has similar positioning, but traditional attachment. It works very well.

Wow! Beautiful knife and workmanship.

I know this would not be practical, but could the knife start out as a bigger block of 6al 4v titanium. The clip would then be carved out of the block as the knife body is carved out. This would leave a clip that is part of the one piece body with no screws at all. Tip up would be my preference.

Just dreaming. :)

Brett

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned here, but maybe a stop pin and sleeve would be good. As the blade at the pivot point stops rotating at the back of the handle, it may wear down the titanium to a degree, thus loosening the locking ability. This may be true especially if and when the blade is flicked open. The impact of the back of the blade at the pivot point on the stop point of the titanium handle could gall that area. A stop pin and sleeve, on the other hand, could be replaced easily.

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god that knife is gorgeous. You captured all the beauty of the CRK and William Henry designs, and added your own sculptured elegance to it.

I must have one! This is one of the few knives I'd actually pay full retail for.

Wiping the drool from my mouth, picking my lower jaw off the floor.
Now that is an integral any way you want to look at it :D.

Congratulations Scott. (Don't listen to my cherished friend Dexter - what does he know :) Please keep a non-clip option, those lines are just too elegant to ruin).

Definitely. . .clip installation required ! And. . .a tip down carry ! !

If I beg ~ ~ ~ will you put me on your list ? :D

Gorgeous. Must have one. :)

Scott, if I beg and plead and remind you that I have already bought 4 Scott Cook Owyhee Hunter's, can I get on the list for one of those bad boys? :)

The blade is perfect as is. It deserves a belt sheath; a clip would only detract from the simplicity.

However the best way would be to offer all three options: clip-less (as the prototype is, no holes at all), tip-up or tip-down. This way no one compromises his position and everyone is happy with the outcome, otherwise two-thirds of the people will be dissatisfied.

Originally posted by Lurker

Here's another idea: secure the clip using only the pivot screw and a small recess for the base of the clip. Provide a clip insert to fill the recess when the clip is removed. Now you have a really slick way to mount the clip that leaves the knife really "clean" and still only one screw on the entire knife which emphasizes the integral concept. When the clip is removed, it's still clean because there are no extra screw holes. The clip's position would hide the lock slot, which would help keep the lines clean and simple. The clip on the Kershaw Vapor has similar positioning, but traditional attachment. It works very well.

Agree

tip up clip !!!! just offer it with or without clip!

Scott put me in line for one with a clip!

P.S. How could you bend the liner far enough and how did you get the ball in the liner?

Scott, great knife. It is a very natural and functional evolution of the integral handled working folder ;) . Flowing handle lines, very visually appealing, ergonomic looking handle from what I can see (ME WANT TO FEEL HANDLE NOW! Ooops... DOWN evil twin... that was my Atavistic knife alter ego sporting wood again)

On the clip, I think this may be where you can distance yourself from the crowd if you so choose... there is a clear consensus... only problem is that there are three strong factions, each with a consensus: there are about 3 fairly evenly split customer preferences out there. If you could make them all happy, you'd be ahead.

Personally, I prefer tip down, as I've stabbed my finger twice on tip-up carry pieces with less-than-adequate ball detent closures. I find either easy to draw and utilize (not being into "fastest draw" kinda stuff). I do like pouch carry for smaller knives when I'm more dressed up. Large sized knives tend to feel much heavier riding around at the bottom of a pocket than they do clipped. Small knives (say 3" blade) ride fine in pouches, and I like this mode option, and don't mind pouching a knife with a clip (although it wears out the pouch over time to have a clip).

Originally posted by Lurker
Well as far as the clip goes, it's unanimous. Everyone agrees that they want it their way.

Originally posted by Maskwa
However the best way would be to offer all three options: clip-less (as the prototype is, no holes at all), tip-up or tip-down. This way no one compromises his position and everyone is happy with the outcome, otherwise two-thirds of the people will be dissatisfied.

Scott, question for the record==> what are your thoughts on S30V's toughess vs. BG-42, and what blade hardness level with S30V do you think is appropriate for your new folder?

Also, do you have any plans to mill a slot for wood inlays? Any other plans for, say, anodizing? Or other handle treatments?

Please send me the full specs when you have it priced out so I can get one on order... many thanks!

Back