Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Salem Straub, Aug 11, 2017.
Paid memberships don't see ads!
Dang!!! That's a lot of work, Salem!!! it almost looks like it would-be easier to "cheat" and drill and file then squish those chain bars.
The only word I can think of is Exquisite! I don't remember ever seeing any Damascus better than that. I think it would win best Damascus at any show, any time. Truly a presentation grade piece all around.
I saw the progress on Facebook. What a great piece. Always the artist!!!
Belongs in a Tiffany's showcase or an art museum!!!
Initial thought was "That's not even fair that you are able to create the masterful blades that you do" but about a half second later I realize it's only fair. Your talent, research, dedication and skill shine brightly in every piece you put fourth.
On the third and sixth bar, counting from the bottom.
There looks like divots or voids or something where the round curves don't quite meet.
Is the blade flat, or are there pits ?
Is that a weld problem, or did those spots over etch or
Ok, I just checked the WIP pics
It would be brutal to keep scale out of those spaces
I like this pattern.
I'd see that used all by itself
Count, that lower pattern is cool indeed... I ripped that bar to use for explosion edges but if anything it should have been welded on after the other bars were welded and profiled, to keep it from being drawn out and thinned as much as it was from being on the edge of the billet, feeling the hammer.
The pattern has areas where carbon content and alloy content do interesting things. For this blade in particular I experimented with a cast iron-bearing flux that's quite aggressive, to both dissolve any trapped scale from the "crimping" of the snake bars and add some high-carbon material to promote welds and solidify areas that might otherwise be scale pockets. The areas where you can see this, i.e. at the meeting points of some of the ends of the folds, etch a bit different than the surrounding 1080 and 15n20. In some spots you can see where the edges of those burnt out a bit and lost some carbon, becoming silver again. These billets are a right bastard though to weld up solid, so when grinding they won't have the perfect monosteel appearance before etch, rather having some flux lines. After a deep etch, it's all parkerized together, which seals the surface well but etches the iron-flux areas a bit different.
I'm going to experiment next with adding these snake bars to canoe type packets and shaking full of 1084 powder on both sides, then welding dry/oxy free to try to get a more perfect steel. But that's after I get my big hammer rebuild and can use those monster flat dies.
Salem, what is your layer count when you turn the bar and how many times to you stack for your explosion billet?
That is something else. Truly a beautiful and technically impressive piece of work!
Joe, for the bar pictured it was 13 layers, crushed sideways, stacked to 12 layers of w's. Pretty coarse, over time I've found that for dramatic effect in small bars, it helps to have just enough layers to get defined w's.
Like I said on IG. Ridiculous. I like ridiculous. Amazing work Salem.
Very impressive! great blade and nice carving of the handle creating a super package. Long and sleek -- well done.
Most amazing creation of 2017.
Thanks a ton everyone, for the encouragement. It really means a lot!
I ended up making a sheath for the customer as well, which is nothing super fancy but has some interesting features, so I added it in the original post.
Paid memberships don't see ads!
Salem... What a great piece of work... and thanks for the WIP picks on your facebook.
You do fantastic work.