Integral Khyber Knife, Pattern Weld and Ironwood. Now with Sheath Vid.

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Salem Straub, Aug 11, 2017.

1. El Bandit0

El Bandit0 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic!

2. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Dang!!! That's a lot of work, Salem!!! it almost looks like it would-be easier to "cheat" and drill and file then squish those chain bars. :D

3. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    The only word I can think of is Exquisite! I don't remember ever seeing any Damascus better than that. I think it would win best Damascus at any show, any time. Truly a presentation grade piece all around.

Paul

4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I saw the progress on Facebook. What a great piece. Always the artist!!!

5. The Burgh

The Burgh Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Belongs in a Tiffany's showcase or an art museum!!!

6. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Initial thought was "That's not even fair that you are able to create the masterful blades that you do" but about a half second later I realize it's only fair. Your talent, research, dedication and skill shine brightly in every piece you put fourth.

7. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    On the third and sixth bar, counting from the bottom.
    There looks like divots or voids or something where the round curves don't quite meet.

Is the blade flat, or are there pits ?
    Is that a weld problem, or did those spots over etch or

[​IMG]

Ok, I just checked the WIP pics
    It would be brutal to keep scale out of those spaces

I like this pattern.
    I'd see that used all by itself
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Salem Straub likes this.
  8. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Count, that lower pattern is cool indeed... I ripped that bar to use for explosion edges but if anything it should have been welded on after the other bars were welded and profiled, to keep it from being drawn out and thinned as much as it was from being on the edge of the billet, feeling the hammer.
    The pattern has areas where carbon content and alloy content do interesting things. For this blade in particular I experimented with a cast iron-bearing flux that's quite aggressive, to both dissolve any trapped scale from the "crimping" of the snake bars and add some high-carbon material to promote welds and solidify areas that might otherwise be scale pockets. The areas where you can see this, i.e. at the meeting points of some of the ends of the folds, etch a bit different than the surrounding 1080 and 15n20. In some spots you can see where the edges of those burnt out a bit and lost some carbon, becoming silver again. These billets are a right bastard though to weld up solid, so when grinding they won't have the perfect monosteel appearance before etch, rather having some flux lines. After a deep etch, it's all parkerized together, which seals the surface well but etches the iron-flux areas a bit different.
    I'm going to experiment next with adding these snake bars to canoe type packets and shaking full of 1084 powder on both sides, then welding dry/oxy free to try to get a more perfect steel. But that's after I get my big hammer rebuild and can use those monster flat dies.

12345678910 likes this.
  9. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Salem, what is your layer count when you turn the bar and how many times to you stack for your explosion billet?

10. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    That is something else. Truly a beautiful and technically impressive piece of work!

11. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Joe, for the bar pictured it was 13 layers, crushed sideways, stacked to 12 layers of w's. Pretty coarse, over time I've found that for dramatic effect in small bars, it helps to have just enough layers to get defined w's.

12. kuraki

kuraki Drinks Pearl in a can. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 17, 2016
    Like I said on IG. Ridiculous. I like ridiculous. Amazing work Salem.

13. Murray White

Murray White Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Very impressive! great blade and nice carving of the handle creating a super package. Long and sleek -- well done.

14. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    Most amazing creation of 2017.

15. Eric Bosworth

Eric Bosworth

Dec 30, 2008
    WOW!!!!!

16. Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    Thanks a ton everyone, for the encouragement. It really means a lot!
    I ended up making a sheath for the customer as well, which is nothing super fancy but has some interesting features, so I added it in the original post.

17. Pavlos

Pavlos

Apr 20, 2013
    Salem... What a great piece of work... and thanks for the WIP picks on your facebook.

You do fantastic work.
    Paul