Intentional ( not forced ) patina ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Does anyone else like to jump right into getting a patina formed on a new knife ?
If so what are your preferred methods ?

The patina is what I love about a carbon steel blade ,and of course it really does help fight rust so the sooner the better I feel.
I don't force it but waste no time getting a patina started, so after I make sure the edge is where I like it one of the first things I'll do I enjoy a cool crisp Granny Smith apple.
One of my favorite ways to relax is to sit in the shade and slowly enjoy a good apple and I use my pocket knife to peel it and cut a bite off at a time.
It may sound silly to some but it's one of my few ways of relaxing that keeps me away from screens and such.
I'm not a great whittler and don't get to cast a line as often as I'd like, so while it may not be exactly the same it's just as relaxing for me.

I like to cut my apples into bite size pieces as well, same with peaches and other pitted fruits. I also find that peeling potatoes, and beets helps really accelerate a patina.

Nothing gives a patina like summer's bounty. I finally put my Stallion to work the past couple of weeks. It's cut up a tray of nectarines and a box of mangoes. I don't have any pictures of the knife in its current condition, I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

sitflyer sitflyer ... no need to cuss and use that (((((gag))))) 4 letter "b" word.

On the ... four ... no ... six now, I think ... might be eight? :.. nine? ... counting fixed blades .... knives I have with carbon steel blades, two (a Colt canoe and RR moose) have a nice, even gray Ti coating on both blades. I forced a patina on my Opinel Number 8 with vinegar years ago when I got it. The rest are slowly (very ... very ... slowly ...) getting a patina from use.

sitflyer sitflyer ... no need to cuss and use that (((((gag))))) 4 letter "b" word.

On the ... four ... no ... six now, I think ... might be eight? :.. nine? ... counting fixed blades .... knives I have with carbon steel blades, two (a Colt canoe and RR moose) have a nice, even gray Ti coating on both blades. I forced a patina on my Opinel Number 8 with vinegar years ago when I got it. The rest are slowly (very ... very ... slowly ...) getting a patina from use.
As a NC resident, my carbon steel pocket knives tend to go strait to rust / pepper spots in summer... :(

I tried to keep the blades on my Boker carvers congress polished, but they kept getting rust spots. So last fall when I went to help my niece can salsa. I used it to peal and core the tomatoes. I used the first blade for a while, saw that it had gotten a nice patina, and switched to another one. By the time we were done, I had a patina on all four blades. I don't know if You call that forcing, or just getting a patina from use, but it was quick.

O.B.

These days, a good portion of use my pocket knives see is cutting food, mainly fruits, so the three non-stainless models pick it up pretty quick and then change over time. Not really seen a need to force a patina.

My 2 cents ......

Scenario 1: You force a patina, then use the knife normally.

Scenario 2: You don't force a patina, but use the knife naturally.

In short order, both blades will look identical; nicely patinaed. The "forced vs. natural debate" is silly.

I lost almost 20 pounds accelerating the patinas on my knives!

Every day at work around 9:30 am I would cut up an apple or pear for a snack, then skip lunch entirely or make myself another light snack at my desk also using my knife. My bottom two teeth in the middle are fake, so I really do need to cut up my fruit. Since COVID-19 hit and I now work from home, 15 feet from the kitchen, I have regained about half that weight...

Here is a picture of one I carried vs. one I didn’t:
MeLPNiH.jpg

Does anyone else like to jump right into getting a patina formed on a new knife ?
If so what are your preferred methods ?

The patina is what I love about a carbon steel blade ,and of course it really does help fight rust so the sooner the better I feel.
I don't force it but waste no time getting a patina started, so after I make sure the edge is where I like it one of the first things I'll do I enjoy a cool crisp Granny Smith apple.
One of my favorite ways to relax is to sit in the shade and slowly enjoy a good apple and I use my pocket knife to peel it and cut a bite off at a time.
It may sound silly to some but it's one of my few ways of relaxing that keeps me away from screens and such.
I'm not a great whittler and don't get to cast a line as often as I'd like, so while it may not be exactly the same it's just as relaxing for me.

That same thing happened to me but my Grandpa was there with his Werther's Originals.

My 2 cents ......

Scenario 1: You force a patina, then use the knife normally.

Scenario 2: You don't force a patina, but use the knife naturally.

In short order, both blades will look identical; nicely patinaed. The "forced vs. natural debate" is silly.
Maybe eventually but those forced pattern patinas will look different for quite a while for a knife nut with lots of other knives to rotate through.

This thread wasn't about forced vs natural though , just talking about a non forced way to get patina asap.

Maybe eventually but those forced pattern patinas will look different for quite a long time for a knif nut with lots of other knives to rotate through.

This thread wasn't about forced vs natural though , just talking about a non forced way to get patina asap.
Yes..I have done that a time or two...deliberately use one of my knives to cut an apple or steak, etc, instead of going to the kitchen knife drawer. I used my goldenrod 92 once to slice up sausage at our daughters house for breakfast...all her knives are worse than butter knives. I didn't have to worry about the blade rusting for a while..

I remember a few years back when I had just bought a new Case 6375 CV large stockman. Used the clip bade to cut up a big Granny Smith apple on a walk and watched the blade turn grey as I walked. Did it again with the sheepsfoot the next day, same result. Never used the spey on one, so it is still shiny.

When I get a new knife on order there is that anticipation of not just getting the knife but getting to use it. I have never been one to force a patina. The first few weeks are mostly cutting apples, bananas and peaches. This always leave a darker area where most of the cutting is done. To remove some of the darker areas and give an even tone I like to cut an onion or two.

Two weeks in and only cutting fruit
stWPYMU.jpg

Three weeks in and after an onion
6HJMxtZ.jpg

Two and a half years in
DdduJ1E.jpg

Thirty years in and to me this is the goal
W3TEy7S.jpg

Back