Interest

JK Knives

I’ve been noticing for a while now that interest in my knives has been declining. I’m trying to figure out why this is. Any suggestions? The special offers are not too successful, so I’m hoping for ideas. I am not sure on how to proceed.

I'm not sure how to make improvements but I believe a more widespread audience is needed. It's a great bunch of guys here on the JK Forum but there's not that many regulars who buy several knives each year. Not counting gifts, trades, or low end knives I believe I bought 2 knives last year. One was a replacement for something I had traded away several years earlier and regretted ever since. The other came from the only knife show I go to. I plan for the show by working overtime the paychecks before. I'm not one of the guys who regularly post reviews of any knives but I do mention your knives when someone asks for a recommendation. I believe getting info out to others about the quality of your knives is key but I'm not sure of the best way to do that.

Very few people even seem to visit here anymore, let alone show my knives in other places. I’ve tried different styles of knives, but they don’t do well either.

Have you tried posting your knives in the traditional forum? They have a traditional fixed thread. Lots of traffic over there. That might help with exspoure.

I got in trouble a few years back for showing my own knives, said it was advertising.

I'm not going to call any other fine FB knife makers out, but there are quite a few who regularly post their own knives in the Traditional forum.
True, there are makers who regularly post pics of their own knives and leather work in the Traditional Forum and other places.

I'm not sure. I have a ton of JKs, ones that my dad had and ones I've bought myself. The quality is definitely there. Somehow it has to be marketing but I'm not a marketing guru.:oops: I'm continually surprised by the astronomical price tags some makers hang on blades that strike me as pretty pedestrian. In all seriousness maybe your prices are too low?

I’ve been noticing for a while now that interest in my knives has been declining. I’m trying to figure out why this is. Any suggestions? The special offers are not too successful, so I’m hoping for ideas. I am not sure on how to proceed.

I've always admired your craftsmanship but I never really bought a knife from you (yet). My reasons is solely my own but I tend to buy knives that have "personality" on the blades as well as unique handles that doesn't look generic/common.

I'm always on the hunt for knives that "speaks" to me with sass and personality in it's designs, the grooves, the depth of handle colors/materials, etc. If it looks Steampunk'ish, I'll buy it! But if it looks like a simple handle with flat metal surface blade, I won't buy it.

I want to collect beautiful looking, quirky, strong personality type knives and use/abuse the knife and have it smile at me and ask for more. I want to have a reason to go use it again and have people around me know that it's "her" knife and be envious about it.

Just my personal opinion.

I suppose highly figured and/or exotic wood might be a draw. Personally I like G-10 and linen micarta, just rugged utilitarian stuff.

Very few people even seem to visit here anymore, let alone show my knives in other places. I’ve tried different styles of knives, but they don’t do well either.

One of the things that I try to make a point of doing when I get new knives in, is to do a review. I did one with my first Fiddleback and I do them with some regularity in regards to GEC's slipjoint releases. But I do them here though (as opposed to elsewhere) and I would have to say it is to a somewhat limited audience. Regardless, I assure you that I will be giving the knives I acquire from you plenty of exposure here and I am very much looking forward to experiencing your craft.

In this digital age where social media is the way of things, if you aren't getting the exposure by way of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and the like, it can be difficult to rely on past methods of advertising. I don't do social media all that much so I can't help you in that regard but hopefully there are others here that might.

In a time where there is an over abundance of up and coming knife makers and there are fads galore, it can be difficult to find or rediscover a niche. What drew me to your knives was the recommendation given pertaining to a traditional pattern that I like. Your knives in general sport traditional flair and that is something I appreciate.

My comments might not be all that helpful but I am certainly a latecomer, all things considering.

I got in trouble a few years back for showing my own knives, said it was advertising.

The Traditional sub is largely where I hang out. They run a pretty tight ship there and any discussion pertaining to a commercial nature is generally frowned upon. That being said, I don't see why you couldn't display your knives in the number of picture threads. If people express interest in your knives, you can direct them to PM or email you, in accordance to the rules.

That said, the Traditionals sub is dominated by interest in slipjoint patterns, though fixed blades are certainly welcomed.

I posted pics of my new JK on 3 other forums with all due props to you and they all loved it. BCUSA is a big knife market, but I honestly don’t know how expensive it would be to get a vendors forum. The sad truth is that everyone and their brother has watched “Forged in Fire” and has started building knives, and the bushcraft craziness has amped up general knife purchases, but has also come with a giant glut of new knife makers who offer the latest exotic unobtanium steel. I hate Facebook, but Instagram is bloated with knife makers.

I had my own forum on BCUSA about five years ago, never got a single order in the six months I was there, I didn’t fit in there.
I’m also on Instagram and have a JK Knives page on Facebook.

I had my own forum on BCUSA about five years ago, never got a single order in the six months I was there, I didn’t fit in there.
I’m also on Instagram and have a JK Knives page on Facebook.

What’s your Instagram ?

I have to agree with Rob Babcock on the astronomical prices some of these guys put on their knives! I know that there are a lot of steps to make knives but, in simplicity, it is just a piece of metal with some type of wood or material of one kind or the other as a handle! Now, I've always been taught that simplicity is the mother of invention! I like the way John builds his knives, the materials he uses, and the prices he sells his knives for, not to speak of he basically let you tell him exactly what you want, and exactly how you want it! It's all simple, they are built well, you can beat the crap out of them and they just keep doing the job for you! When's the last time you've had a JK knife go bad on you? Has there ever been such a time? They are made right here in America with most of the materials that where made right here, by an American Artisan, you really can't beat it! That's all I can say! Think about it!

I usually post pictures of your knives on 4 different forums and anyone who is interested I point your way but don't know if they ever contact you. One big thing I see is people wanting crazy steels for knives now days. I don't really understand that craze; O1, A2, and 1095 are some of my favorite steels especially for fixed blades. When it comes to folders I usually prefer S30 and S35 and it suites my needs plenty well even when I was doing ranch work I never felt the need to get into the "Super Steels". I don't know if this modern world of knife owners/users have trouble sharpening or don't know how to so they look for the craziest steel possible, or if it just isn't cool on social media to not have the "Cool" steel that's damn near impossible to sharpen. One thing you could possibly do on Instagram is use hashtags that emphasize on the handmade aspect of your knives, people are defiantly wanting that more over production it seems like. Also I don't know how expensive it would be but maybe taking some of the nicer photos of knives in use and putting adds in some of the bigger knife magazines could help.

Magazine ads run around $300 for a 1/8 page ad per issue. About 5 years ago I ran an ad in Backwoodsman for 6 months at $125 per issue, when they bumped the price to $250 I quit. Never ever got any orders from the ads.

Magazine ads run around $300 for a 1/8 page ad per issue. About 5 years ago I ran an ad in Backwoodsman for 6 months at $125 per issue, when they bumped the price to $250 I quit. Never ever got any orders from the ads.

You can't really say that John, that's how I found you! I've been with you ever since, and those years have added up pretty good now! I know I can't buy one every month but, I buy whenever I can afford to, or whenever you come up with a pattern or style that I just can't live without! I sure would like to be a rich man but, I guess the good Lord had a different plan for me! I don't know if you will be able to make a full living on just the knife shop! You might have to have a different job part time, and work for fun on the side in the knife shop! Heck lets face it, the big companies are having a hard time making it! This is not the world that we were born into!

Back