Interesting Idea, Cold Steel, But No Thanks.

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
90qb.jpg

A creative use of weld nuts, but it's a big no from me. I can see the screws either cracking or loosening in use and causing a spontaneous loosening. Not to mention the crack filling up with all sorts of debris.

Perhaps I am a little bit old fashioned? But, unless there is there is an unforeseen breakthrough of some sort in metallurgy or heat treatment I think the pinnacle of axe design and manufacture was in the last century. The perfectionist will keep looking for improvements in things he makes and how he plays chess. The key is sort of like driving a vehicle with a standard transmission, you need to be cognizant of where the forward and reverse gears are in the shift pattern and perhaps equally important, you need to know which direction you intent to go. We are on the same page regarding this change Benjamin.

Perhaps I am a little bit old fashioned? But, unless there is there is an unforeseen breakthrough of some sort in metallurgy or heat treatment I think the pinnacle of axe design and manufacture was in the last century. The perfectionist will keep looking for improvements in things he makes and how he plays chess. The key is sort of like driving a vehicle with a standard transmission, you need to be cognizant of where the forward and reverse gears are in the shift pattern and perhaps equally important, you need to know which direction you intent to go. We are on the same page regarding this change Benjamin.

I agree for the most part, though I'd go on to say that while the fundamentals of axe design are already fully mature and known, contexts of use change over time, and so there will remain lots of opportunities to create new designs using those principles. But features like this one are mostly a gimmick developed by folks not well versed in those particulars. :D

Last edited:
Think i saw a slipfit hudson bay they come out with.Hope the tariff stuff with italy dont mess with your rinaldis.

They did reveal a "Hudson Bay tomahawk" but it uses the same eye as their other hawks, so it's not your typical Hudson Bay in styling from what I can tell so far.

No issues with tariffs with Rinaldi. Hand agricultural tools generally aren't subject to a lot of tariff nonsense. :)

Ridiculous. But... I think I get it.

Consider the target audience. Were I a bettin' man, I'd wager that there's more money in selling axes to axe throwing businesses than to professionals or even outdoorsmen.

The heads last but the handles get destroyed quickly, especially with every Tom, Dick, and Harry chugging a beer and trying to impress their date.

Hanging takes time, so stocking axes like this is actually a huge time saver. And time is money. Loosen, pop in the new handle, tighten, and that axe is back in rotation for the next hipster to break.

In a way, it's genius. It's just not for us.

Ridiculous. But... I think I get it.

Consider the target audience. Were I a bettin' man, I'd wager that there's more money in selling axes to axe throwing businesses than to professionals or even outdoorsmen.

The heads last but the handles get destroyed quickly, especially with every Tom, Dick, and Harry chugging a beer and trying to impress their date.

Hanging takes time, so stocking axes like this is actually a huge time saver. And time is money. Loosen, pop in the new handle, tighten, and that axe is back in rotation for the next hipster to break.

In a way, it's genius. It's just not for us.

And they did unveil a throwing hatchet to that end, which was promptly banned from WATL usage due to safety concerns, and they're in the process of updating their rules to reflect it. For practice, though, it's probably fine for throwing hatchets. But not in a work axe.

And they did unveil a throwing hatchet to that end, which was promptly banned from WATL usage due to safety concerns, and they're in the process of updating their rules to reflect it. For practice, though, it's probably fine for throwing hatchets. But not in a work axe.
What concerns pray tell? Do you know the specifics?

What a bummer for Council! Other than not having a rubber coating on the helve I fail to see how it's any less safe than an estwing! Unless the hardened poll poses a risk. I'll Google the rule later. Hopefully I can find out more info.
I bet it's an estwing lobby group. Hahaha.

What a bummer for Council! Other than not having a rubber coating on the helve I fail to see how it's any less safe than an estwing! Unless the hardened poll poses a risk. I'll Google the rule later. Hopefully I can find out more info.
I bet it's an estwing lobby group. Hahaha.

Umm...did you not see where I remarked on the likelihood of the screws either snapping or backing out from repeated shock? :confused:

I mean, the Flying Fox exists in a different space. It was designed as a tool that also fit regulations for throwing, so it's not really threatened by something like this. :) :thumbsup:
I thought that was the case. So you can imagine my confusion when I mistakenly thought you were saying the rules didn't allow it for some reason! I came back to this thread from elsewhere which is why I lost track of which hatchet we were talking about. Hey I'm allowed a brain fart once in awhile!!

All I've seen was a Facebook response from a WATL higher-up that said "Just as a heads up those axes will not be allowed in WATL. A neat concept but doesn't appear to be safe. We'll be updating our guidelines accordingly."
Not that I know anything, but my first reaction to him saying they are not allowed because they don't "appear" safe makes me chuckle. That has "I don't like it and that's why" written all over it. If they have an actual reason, that individual needs to articulate it.

As for the bolts shearing, anything can happen, but with all the things we have held together with bolts, I doubt an axe is much concern. From the pic, they appear to use high-strength bolts. From my limited understanding, a bolts shearing strength is .6 X tensile strength. So, a grade 8, 1\4" high-strength bolt shear strength should be around 3,270 lbs. It seems unlikely two of those would go out, much less at the same time.

I have no dog in this fight, but believe that at this point, only Cold Steel knows anything about their strength.

Not that I know anything, but my first reaction to him saying they are not allowed because they don't "appear" safe makes me chuckle. That has "I don't like it and that's why" written all over it. If they have an actual reason, that individual needs to articulate it.

As for the bolts shearing, anything can happen, but with all the things we have held together with bolts, I doubt an axe is much concern. From the pic, they appear to use high-strength bolts. From my limited understanding, a bolts shearing strength is .6 X tensile strength. So, a grade 8, 1\4" high-strength bolt shear strength should be around 3,270 lbs. It seems unlikely two of those would go out, much less at the same time.

I have no dog in this fight, but believe that at this point, only Cold Steel knows anything about their strength.

To the best of my knowledge, shear strength is typically measured with flush-fitting surfaces and perpendicular force applied as a static load rather than as shock. We don't know for sure, but I'm gonna' guess that the interior faces of the bolt holes probably aren't chamfered, so you'll have a potential force concentration point for shock, and I'm not asserting that it'd shear in a single blow in new condition, eh? :) Time will tell, but even if they don't suffer any failures of the bolts themselves I'll be very surprised if they never back out or loosen in use. Impact has a way of doing that, in my experience. So they're concerns I have about the approach, but I fully reserve the right to be wrong. :D

Edit to add: looks like the term I should be using here is fracture rather than shear. Fastenal has a nice little writeup on fastener fatigue here.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, shear strength is typically measured with flush-fitting surfaces and perpendicular force applied as a static load rather than as shock. We don't know for sure, but I'm gonna' guess that the interior faces of the bolt holes probably aren't chamfered, so you'll have a potential force concentration point for shock, and I'm not asserting that it'd shear in a single blow in new condition, eh? :) Time will tell, but even if they don't suffer any failures of the bolts themselves I'll be very surprised if they never back out or loosen in use. Impact has a way of doing that, in my experience. So they're concerns I have about the approach, but I fully reserve the right to be wrong. :D

Edit to add: looks like the term I should be using here is fracture rather than shear. Fastenal has a nice little writeup on fastener fatigue here.
Possible, for sure. I'm not a hardcore axe guy, so I'm really hoping some of you with a lot of knowledge and opportunity, give one of these a good, solid thrashing! I don't think it'll revolutionize axes or anything, but it could be another solid option. We just don't know yet. We need a good review (hint,hint;)).

Back