Interesting Knife Uses

@Tx308 ,

I don't want to derail the thread discussing invasive flora. Yes, salt cedar are extremely invasive and detrimental to a watershed as well, but I was previously referring to regular Texas cedar (ashe juniper). Both are obnoxious little shrubs.

Back on topic, I'm with @bikerector in that I too like to remove staples with whatever folder I have in my pocket. Just seems to work better than the little piranha looking things.

like lots of people here I use my EDC for random uses mainly dissecting wireing looms carefully and removing excess gasket past in hard to reach places on engines and the spine works well if that flint screw gets jammed in the bottom of a zippo at the worsed times opening cans when the ring pull comes off

I've done a fair amount of what's been mentioned,
already, sans the coconut improved method, Lol :D
& No Copenhagen for me, but knew some cowboys that partook...
I also would avoid using my knife on door handle ice, but that's just me.
I'm sure it's been done, but if making a single,
or more lumber cuts, w/ pencil M.I.A., then a
nice, quick blade score works in a pinch :thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:
I've used mine as a ruler to guestimate how long things are.
* I'd watch what your measuring with that sharp tool
Lol :D

We have - no - make that my wife has - this huge a-hole of a dog named PJ. I call him Dick..
Anyhow, the dog hates me. We got him from a rescue. He was born there and spent 3 years there with no human contact - other than the woman that ran the place.
He worships my wife. He'll sit next to her on the couch & just up and throw himself on her and become the "boneless velcro dog" & just swoon over her.
ME?
Every time I look his way, he goes nuts and growls at me and barks his stupid head off. Then he takes off running around barking and growling and his hackles are all raised up so much he looks like some demented Mohawk..
The goofy thing just flat out hates me.
I gave up trying to be nice to him. I either ignore him - or when I can't do that anymore.....(here comes the knife content):

I grab my new Schrade Bowie - pull it out of the sheath and wave it all around, screaming like some maniac....

It does no good - the stupid dog still hates me. I feel better though.

We have - no - make that my wife has - this huge a-hole of a dog named PJ. I call him Dick..
Anyhow, the dog hates me. We got him from a rescue. He was born there and spent 3 years there with no human contact - other than the woman that ran the place.
He worships my wife. He'll sit next to her on the couch & just up and throw himself on her and become the "boneless velcro dog" & just swoon over her.
ME?
Every time I look his way, he goes nuts and growls at me and barks his stupid head off. Then he takes off running around barking and growling and his hackles are all raised up so much he looks like some demented Mohawk..
I gave up trying to be nice to him. I either ignore him - or when I can't do that anymore.....(here comes the knife content):

I grab my new Schrade Bowie - pull it out of the sheath and wave it all around, screaming like some maniac....

Doesn't sound like a stupid dog at all.

Reactions: DMG
ME?

A lady friend had a rescue like that, some kind of a shih tzu mix, devoted to her, but would not let me get near him. I assume it was the result of some mistreatment in the puppy mill where he was performing stud duty on brief occasions when he got let out of his cage. My friend, a bit of a bruja herself, consulted a homeopath, who prescribed stramonium, whatever that is.

A couple of doses of a tiny, seed-like pill, and I’ll be darned if the dog didn’t chill right out to become a reasonably tractable little lap dog, almost overnight. I remain skeptical, but had to observe that with a dog, there is no question of a placebo effect.

I assume it was the result of some mistreatment in the puppy mill

Quite probable. And whatever the solution may be, giving it more of the same would probably hurt, not help.... Seems an obvious conclusion. Animals are extremely adept at reading people emotions and body language, and to be outright malicious towards one is in my view abuse. I sure hope it was hyperbole, but that post from Hal portrays what I would call an abusive and vindictive attitude towards that dog, something it surely doesn't deserve.

A lady friend had a rescue like that, some kind of a shih tzu mix, devoted to her, but would not let me get near him. I assume it was the result of some mistreatment
We had a little mix breed "peanut dog" that came from a rescue & we were pretty sure she had been abused at one point.
With PJ, we know for 100% certainty he was never abused.

The rescue he came from takes in pregnant dogs, then, when they give birth, thee puppies are put up for adoption.
PJ's mother came in and had her litter - then - just as the puppies were old enough to adopt out, a pregnant mother came in with Parvo.
The place was put in quarantine until all the cases cleared out.

Months passed - and - the pups grew up.
By the time adoptions resumed, the puppies weren't fluffy little balls anymore & nobody wanted them - too big (they are part Treeing Walker coon hound/part Great Pyrenees).
We took in one of the pups - that had been there two years & worked with him. Eventually - he settled in, mostly. He still has his moments.
After we had him accustomed (about a year) - we took in his littermate brother - PJ.

The two brothers we adopted are the only ones that have survived. The rest of the litter all had to be put down. Understandably - they are large dogs & quite capable of doing a lot of damage - if precautions aren't taken.
My theory is - the mother came from a drug house & was exposed to drugs while she carried the litter. The entire litter had - issues.

Anyhow - we are "Dick's" last hope. We had him as a foster for about a year & finally adopted him outright. The owner of the rescue told us she couldn't continue to keep him on the paperwork of the rescue anymore or she'd lose funding.
So here we are - one big....(happy? :D ) family - just my wife and I and our three giant goofy dogs (we have a third Blue Tick /Great Pyrenees mix dog - another rescue)
Yeah - PJ can earn his nickname "Dick" without much effort at times - but - one day maybe he'll mellow out some.
(He's actually all bark and no bite. He makes a lot of noise and puts on a good show, but, he doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything more than bark and growl.)
Until then - I'll just shake my Bowie at him ;). (the alternative is a dirt nap for him since he's classified as "unadoptable").

H Hal The way I read your first post about him made it sound like you hate and antagonize your dog. I may have misread you, and if so, I am sorry.

Reactions: Hal
Yeah - I can see where that might be the case David.
Forget about it.

Dick is a - - challenge - but, he does have his moments.
His brother - Quigley - acted very much the same way for the first few months we had him.

I finally was able to get through to him with pretzels. I'd sit on the couch eating pretzels & he watched me for weeks on end. One day he climbed up beside me & took a pretzel I offered to him.
We improved a lot & after a year, we were able to take him to the doggy daycare so he could "play" with other dogs. He took off from there. In a couple of weeks, he was raring to go one the days we took him & as soon as he got there, he'd gallop around like a big giant puppy.

God willing - Dick may come around too. We officially adopted Dick, after over a year of fostering him, right before Christmas.

Anyhow - I do blow off steam some times and wave my Bowie around ;).
Here's the thing though - dogs that were hit & abused will react to that. Quigley & Dick just give me a funny look & then go about their business.

I'm a sucker for underdogs & losers.
Always have been - probably always will be.

I can take it to extremes at times - even feeling "sorry" for certain knives (like they were some sort of living thing).
Talk about strange...

i use a butter knife
1240530_s.jpg

to tap round the top
of the egg.
some folks have stranger neat tricks
PicMonkey-Collage500.jpg

Last edited:
Back