interesting law for the great north ; ) knives allowed up to 2.36"

Of course pretty well no one wants to fly anywhere but yeah that ruling has been in force for several years without incident.

I moved up to Canada for a couple years (Ontario then Quebec) not knowing what to expect. Would I be viewed as just another arrogant American asshole? Told by the locals to go back to my own country? No. Instead I found the most welcoming, friendly, polite people I've ever met, even with the slight language barrier in Quebec. Canada believes diversity is its strength. A good example, I thought, for others to aspire to. I think BF is by and large the same way and most members welcome a diversity of opinions. Go in peace.

Last edited:
So much arguing about us Canadians. The real answer about us is that it’s all probably correct.

We have a rural streak of gun owning, knife carrying, hockey fight loving beer drinkers. We also have a multi-cultural woke urban populace that is busy creating their utopia through legislation. Both groups contain people who will say sorry if you bump into them at the grocery store.

As to the legislation, I think it came to be because we were harmonizing with some international standard that the UN or the EU made up. I have a victorinox that I’ll take on a plane, or an Ohta FK5.

Interesting that they chose 6cm as the limit. The main blade on a 93mm "large" SAK is 58mm, so a shade under the line.
From what I gather, they measure from the handle to the tip of the blade. They don’t just measure cutting edge. In any case you’re at the mercy of the agent and whether or not he hates his job or likes your knife.

I live in Minnesota right on the border with them, I've been more times than I can count.
Now that I've answered your question, how about answering mine

Most Canadians I know who have experience with people from Minnesota will call you brothers, since you generally are similar in terms of culture & speaking : )

I trust that someday, laws for planes will follow our lead ; )
(of course I realize 9/11 has somewhat poisoned the well on that front, but logic will hopefully prevail)

Most Canadians I know who have experience with people from Minnesota will call you brothers, since you generally are similar in terms of culture & speaking : )
Lol, half my wedding party was from Canada.
I was just thinking, this new law makes for a good excuse to buy one of those California legal Microtech OTF's
I need this in case I have to fly in Canada!!!!!!

lol, I think any automatic is going to be a no no, so why take a chance?
fixed blade, no problem, after all kirpan's are fixed

think I found the perfect flight knife - mora eldris only $25 now on sale? amazing 12c27 2.2" blade, amazing grip
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Zyb3N0c3dlZC9pbWFnZXMvMTI2NDdmLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogMjcwLCJoZWlnaHQiOiAyNzAsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

if anyone else has suggestions I'd like to hear them ; )

Last edited:
Several years ago the US was headed this direction, but it got "reevaluated" and shutdown shortly after it was publicized a bit.
The flight attendants union lobbied hard against it. Utter BS that they were able to influence the law and that they were so terrified of knives when radiation or alcoholism will kill most of them, if they die young.

Apparently Canadians, unlike many Americans, feel that gun rights are subordinate to considerations of public safety. Otherwise they would have a powerful gun lobby as well. This is consistent with my characterization of Canadians. But maybe our Canadian friend can weigh in. Sure, I would like to be able to carry a knife on a plane. But we don't have a powerful knife lobby.

About what I would expect from a country that still has the queen of England on their money.

it would be cool if we keep this thread focused on flight knife suggestions, (under 6cm / 2.36")

:thumbsup:

Spyderco even designed a knife to comply. The regulation change petered out, but the Roadie™ still came to market. I'm guessing it does well enough in UK/Europe.

I beleive Spyderco also designed the copilot to carry on planes before 911.

Spyderco Pingo. They are under that limit and are good little knives. I usually carry a bigger knife but I rarely run into stuff you can’t do with a Pingo, unless I am in the woods.

it would be cool if we keep this thread focused on flight knife suggestions, (under 6cm / 2.36")

Um I don't see where in your first post you asked for knife suggestions. Just:

Thoughts?
Will this be allowed in the US?

Seems like folks are responding to that.

But, Ye Ole spyderco ladybug among others are handy and affordable in case they do get swiped

Reactions: DMG
A fixed blade is legal to carry anywhere in Canada (except government buildings), up to any length you want. Most states laws have nothing on that.

Back