International Space Station

lf

That was painful to watch. Wrong tool for the job, in my opinion. I kept cringing thinking of how it would turn out if he slipped and punctured his EVA suit. Interesting that you could hear the sheath thump against his suit through his microphone. I wondered for a moment how it could be, in a vacuum we were hearing him cutting and banging away.

Zieg

What should he have used? They say he was 4 hours into the EVA and couldn't get leverage with the other tools available.

That was painful to watch. Wrong tool for the job, in my opinion. I kept cringing thinking of how it would turn out if he slipped and punctured his EVA suit. Interesting that you could hear the sheath thump against his suit through his microphone. I wondered for a moment how it could be, in a vacuum we were hearing him cutting and banging away.

Zieg

Vacuum?

You think theres a vacuum on stage 6 where they fake this stuff???

Come on Zieg, next thing you'll be saying they really went to the moon!:eek:

:D

cringing thinking of how it would turn out if he slipped and punctured his EVA suit
The knife in post #3 doesn't look very pointed and I think the suits are fairly tough ? They probably have some kinda patch kit or space duct tape . ;)

What should he have used? They say he was 4 hours into the EVA and couldn't get leverage with the other tools available.
I had the volume down on the part where he said that. Its true that without gravity or being strapped into position, the leverage needed for shears would push him away from the hull. The phrase that made me cringe the most was, "There's some black metal in there. You want me the just throw it away?" Yeah, I'm sure it's not important. ;)

I talk $#!+ but really, these are consummate professionals up there and I'm not really criticizing. I can only say my ignorance is what made me cringe. I'd be frozen into indecisiveness.

Zieg

Why a HyperSpanner of course.
Don't you guys watch Star Trek. ;) :cool:
Yeah, I don't think Scottie, Geordie, or Chief O'Brien would have handled it that way. Zephram Cochran would, though.

OK, I just admitted to too much Trek knowledge.

Zieg

Back in the '60's , when mankind walked repeatedly on the moon , anything seemed possible .

Now ...:( . But at least computer graphics are a wonderful distraction .

Interesting that you could hear the sheath thump against his suit through his microphone. I wondered for a moment how it could be, in a vacuum we were hearing him cutting and banging away.

Zieg

the sound will carry through solid objects, such as what he was cutting, the knife itself, and his suit.

I had the volume down on the part where he said that. Its true that without gravity or being strapped into position, the leverage needed for shears would push him away from the hull. The phrase that made me cringe the most was, "There's some black metal in there. You want me the just throw it away?" Yeah, I'm sure it's not important. ;)

I talk $#!+ but really, these are consummate professionals up there and I'm not really criticizing. I can only say my ignorance is what made me cringe. I'd be frozen into indecisiveness.

Zieg
In the business we call that Rocket Surgery.

Back