1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow
    That awesome man is still going strong!
    What an amazing life this fantastic Gentleman has had. I hope that perhaps Stans Daughter May read this and reiterate our thanks and good wishes to Stan.

Thank you Jack for the continuance of keeping us informed how Stan is going. :thumbsup:

Prester John and Jack Black like this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Just to see that Blade!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhh!! ( the sigh of relief and thanks ) :) :thumbsup:

btb01 and Jack Black like this.
  3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    It was nice to read through this thread again! Happy Birthday to Mr Shaw:thumbsup:

Travman and Jack Black like this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Oops.:oops:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    I thought I would re-surface this thread with a recently acquired Ibberson made by Stan Shaw. Charles (Chuko) owned this knife and posted it previously: "An Ibberson 4 blade shadow senator in MOP, marked inside with SS-57. Built by Stan Shaw in 1957." Photos are by John Ferguson. Ibberson was one of the early adopters of stainless.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Beautiful photos of that gorgeous knife Mike :) By coincidence, I just rang Stan, but he must have been out in his workshop. Hope he's doing OK, I've been meaning to ring him for ages. It's his birthday in a few days :thumbsup:

btb01, Half/Stop, peanutsxx and 7 others like this.
  7. Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Thanks Jack. I could never take photos that nice of pearl. I have been wondering how Stan is these days and tried googling him for recent news, but nothing really came up. What a national treasure he is. It was nice going through this thread again.

8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I came across this photo of Stan from March 1953 recently. It was taken at the same time as the more famous one with Ted Osborn in the foreground, but I'm not sure I've seen this one before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I'll try giving Stan a ring again later Mike. I should call him more often, but both he and his wife are getting on, and I always worry about them having to get up to answer the phone. Stan wasn't too well at the beginning of the year, and even he hasn't seen one like this one before. The museum, where he has a workshop, has been closed, but Stan has his own door. I don't know if he will have gone in though, except perhaps to take care of his tools, and take work home. He gave up driving after cataract operations last year, so is reliant on his daughter and son-in-law to take him there, and he does most of his actual work in his home workshop anyway. I used to see him regularly at one time, and miss that.

It was nice to see this thread reappear, a shame so many of the photos are no longer in place :( :thumbsup:

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
  11. Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Thanks Jerry. I have been thinking about our times at Blade after Tony passed recently. Also thanks to Jack for posting pictures (I wish I had as much hair left as Stan has) and providing more info on him. I do hope he is well.

waynorth, JB in SC and Jack Black like this.
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    While it's white now, Stan still has just s much hair as when he was young Mike :) Until last year, a feller called Pete Goss used to have the workshop next to Stan at the museum. He had been there longer than Stan, and forged surgical instruments, scissors, and latterly bespoke wedding rings. Stan used his forge to do his HT. Pete has a great sense of humour, and one day, when I was with Stan, Pete brought a young couple to meet him (they were ordering wedding rings). As I opened the door to let them in, Pete immediately pointed at Stan's hair, and loudly proclaimed, "That's a wig that!" :D :thumbsup:

A shame I don't have a photo of them together, but this is Pete :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

btb01, Half/Stop, rockman0 and 11 others like this.
  13. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Me as well Mike, bittersweet memories. It will never be the same without him.

waynorth likes this.
  14. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow!! What a Stunning Knife Mike, that Pearls activity is insane! a nice treasure to have from a friend Mike, well done.
    Jack- I saw this Thread title again on page one and I was lifted! I think that this Thread title is one of the absolute best - Please when you see Stan- wish him a Happy Birthday from that Kiwi Couple, I hope that amazing man has quite a few more- and always in good health and spirit.

Fantastic post Gents, Thank you!

btb01, rockman0, meako and 2 others like this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I passed on your best my friend, and have just sent you a PM :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005

17. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    @Jack Black , please wish Stan a Happy Birthday for me!

Jack, I am still wondering if this knife is from a commercial effort by Stan??
    Any ideas? Stans Stag 1.jpg Stans Stag 2.jpg Stans Stag 3.jpg

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    peanutsxx, waynorth, JB in SC and 6 others like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    After Billy Ibberson has finished swanning round the Cutler's Hall, this film, from 1954, has some good footage from the Ibberson factory :thumbsup:

20. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Mike, wonderful knife by Stan.
    Jack, great pictures and video's of Stan and others.

Jack Black likes this.