1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Thanks Herder and Duncan. I've enjoyed the videos and pictures as well.

Campbellclanman and Jack Black like this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks for posting this video; very interesting to watch.
    I was interested to see how the brass liners (or did he call them linings? I'm not sure of the accent) are "dished". I'd have wondered about the purpose of that ever since I noticed it on a few disassembled knives.

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm glad you found it interesting Rachel :) I remember Stan explaining about 'dishing' to @Cambertree and I when we visited :thumbsup:

Campbellclanman likes this.
  4. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Glad to see this thread back up on the front page (although I have to admit, given Stan’s age, I was a bit fearful of why it might have been brought back up).

@Mike Robuck that MOP Senator is quite a looker! :thumbsup:

@Jack Black thanks for posting those videos. I enjoyed hearing Stan describe his work in the first, and I skimmed through the longer videos and saved them to watch in full later on. Is that Stan working the parser in that old Ibberson video (around the 8:00 mark)?

Although I didn’t get to meet Stan on my own visit to Sheffield, please wish him a Happy Birthday for me if you get a chance, Jack.

[​IMG]

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    A shame he wasn't working when we visited that day Barrett. Yes, that's him in the video my friend, I'll be sure to pass on everyone's good wishes, Stan will be 94 tomorrow :thumbsup:

peanutsxx, Campbellclanman and btb01 like this.
  6. Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    Thank you Barrett. And thanks for posting your picture. I would love to visit that shop someday. Best birthday wishes to Stan!

Campbellclanman and btb01 like this.
  7. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I'd be honoured to show you around if you're ever able to visit Mike :thumbsup:

The Wee Cutlery Shop was on Howard Street, across the road from the hotel Barrett stayed in. It was run by a lady called Mrs Ashby, and was close to many of the old Sheffield cutlery firms, including Slaters and Wade & Butcher, as well as Arthur Wright. I think it closed down in the early 1980's. Cutlery shops were plentiful in those days, and I don't think I ever actually went in.

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of the Stan Shaw Lambsfoot I'm carrying today, taken on Howard Street a couple of years back, when there was a mural of Harry Brearley there :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. Mike Robuck

Oct 11, 2001
    That would be beyond awesome Jack! I also have a standing invitation to tour a knife company in Solingen, Germany. Major bucket list stuff!

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sounds great Mike :) :thumbsup:

Campbellclanman and Mike Robuck like this.
  10. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    What a great summary of your day with Mr Shaw. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I very much enjoyed reading it.

Jack Black and Campbellclanman like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Bill, it's a few years back now, and I'm sorry the photos are no longer there. It was a great day to share with Duncan and Sue, one of those days you remember all your life :)

Campbellclanman likes this.
  12. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    What a great read! Its very interesting how stan conducts his work. My father also enjoys or prefers to make his own tools. Next time i visit him im going to have to dig up this thread and make him read it. I know hell enjoy reading how stan works as a cutler.

interesting timing for this thread to be dug up. I just learned 2 days ago about some relatives of mine that were cutlers in sheffield generation after generation. At least from 1760 to 1901 that i currently know of. That branch of the family could still be cutlers today. Its amazing when a family can continue a trade for multiple generations. Passing down everything theyve learned. You dont find that in todays age.

13. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    No you don't, and that is the price we pay for what people call convenience. Or, our throw away society. We, and when i say we, i mean our previous generations, used to be taught by their elders or were self taught to make, mend and fix things. And this so called recycling that is claimed to be the domain of the generations of the last couple of decades was going on well before i was born, and i'm an old man. My grandparents and my parents generations stored away all sorts of stuff, to recycle and use later if they needed to fix things. When we had garbage collection day, which was once a week, everyone had a steel rubbish bin, that was it. There was no plastic, and no recycling extra bin. We took all the glass lemonade bottles back to the shop to get the deposit, and the garbos' took all the beer bottles which were sold back to the brewery to be cleaned and reused. And any glass jar was cleaned and stored by mum to fill with jams and pickles and stuff. Sorry to get off topic, but just wanted to point out that i don't think we are as smart as we think we are. But i do think that people are realizing, that craftsman who can make things by hand and not mass produced are to be utilized and they are starting to make a comeback. People after losing the plot and filling their houses with junk are coming around to the old theory " You Get What You Pay For ". Well some anyway.o_O:rolleyes:;):)

peanutsxx, JohnDF, Storm 8593 and 3 others like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Good for your dad :) A lot of apprentices had to make their own tools at one time. Many of Stan's tools are very old, simply because they are not made anymore, and the only way to replace them is for him to make them himself :) I have given him quite a few old files over the years, and a few other tools. It is nice to see them on his bench in more recent videos :thumbsup:

That's very interesting about your forebears. Most cutlers took on their sons as apprentices, though sometimes they would be apprenticed to another cutler in order to increase the knowledge within the family :thumbsup:

peanutsxx and Mass1632 like this.
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It's Stan Shaw's 94th birthday today, and I was reading back through this thread. Seeming how most of the early photos are now missing, I thought I'd spend some time today uploading the photos I have on file. Thinking of you Stan :thumbsup:

From August 2013 (Stan wasn't working that day):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wurrwulf, peanutsxx, btb01 and 5 others like this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    My photos from September 2013, when Duncan @Campbellclanman and Sue visited:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wurrwulf, peanutsxx, btb01 and 5 others like this.
  17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Duncan and Sue's photos from the same day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Coffee break! :D ;) :thumbsup:

btb01, r8shell and Georgecatl like this.
  19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Great photos.:thumbsup: You 2 look like a couple kids going to visit Santa.;)

r8shell and Jack Black like this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Some photos from April 2015. When I went to see Stan, and I'll always try and take a few photos through the window first, but the more I got to know him, the harder it got to take photos without him noticing me. Stan was used to posing for photos, but as we became friends, I was even more reluctant to take photos, and regret not taking more in a way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]