Intro and some questions

Hi all,
I started diving into leather work a few weeks ago and have produced three so far. The ones shown below are the first three attempted sheaths with the right side sheath being the first (obviously, lol). While I am relatively pleased with the outcomes I am having some issues achieving a desirable finish and the "crisp" look I see from highly esteemed leather workers. I have used Tan-Kote on all three but will likely discontinue usage as I consistently get a gummy finish that looks horrible and requires stripping and refinishing. I recently switched to a spray sheen/wax that is decent but quite glossy. My question is, are there any user friendly finishing products that will give a better finish than what i currently use?

36963466511_cb9bd3ece3_k.jpg

One last question, I have read varying opinions on Neatsfoot oil and am wondering is it a necessary step in the leather process? From what I have gathered, about half use it and the other half wouldn't use it if it was free. But, as I mentioned earlier I am VERY new to this and remain quite ignorant of most leather techniques and products. Thank you in advance for any and all help! :D

Blessings,
Joshua

Neatsfoot Oil....I use it on Russet and Chestnut leathers. I do not use it on Black and Brown. The key to Neatsfoot Oil is use it sparingly.....repeat after me sparingly. Never put it on to the point of saturation. I use a sheepskin pad and blot it before applying to take out the excess oil before I touch my leather. One light coat, let it level and then if you need more add it using the same procedure.

TanKote, same thing. Most guys who don't like it put it on too heavily, and then don't let it dry thoroughly before handling. Results...a gummy feeling, and uneven looking application. I use the same type sheepskin pad for the TanKote and apply sparingly and then rub in a circular motion until it's starting to dry. Result, even looking application and no gummies.

The foregoing is just the way I do it. Not the final words on how to do it.

Paul

Last edited:
That's funny madcap! And true!

First Josh, EXCELLENT work for having been at it a couple of weeks. WOW! Also welcome to Sheaths and Such. Hope ya become a regular.

Many years ago I switched from TanKote to BagKote which I still use to this day. Bagkote is just a hair less glossy than TanKote, more satiny. I apply very lightly with a t shirt stretched very tightly over two fingers in a circular motion. I'm putting it on so lightly its usually dry in just a few moments. I use two very light coats.

I use neatsfoot (pure) right after construction. I heat it up in a crock pot and apply it lightly with a paint brush. That's about it. I don't use it for conditioning and don't recommend it for such.

Last edited:
Thank you gents for the kind words and advice. I will certainly be altering some of my application processes now that I understand some of my errors.

Blessings,
Joshua

Back