Introducing the Sebenza 31! (21 Is Being Discontinued)

I strongly second this.
working in the marketing I really appreciate the work they made on the product.
The strategy of product development is such a complex thing for a company like CRK, especially with a design like the sebenza.
They have really nailed it.
I am excited to get the product in hand to see if the product delivers what we expect from the pictures :)

With the larger diameter detent ball, and the pivot bushing, it will be the smoothest CRK ever in my estimation.

I will miss the “double-click” of the 21, but that is something not all people appreciated anyways.

I have some very positive feeling about these evolutions.
I may look like some fanboy thing, but CRK is one of the very rare brand that make me so excited about getting a knife.

I have not been very impressed by the market introduction of the Inkosi but the 31 is a completely different story.
The Inkosi was a very good move but only the small seems to really make sense.
The impeda and the 31 on the other hand seems to be some real game changer for the brand.
Well done Tim Reeve and the CRK team!

L31-1406-2-Web.jpg

L31-1412-1-Web.jpg

L31-1412-2-Web.jpg
I can see hulk hogan and all his hulkamaniacs carrying the top one. :D

All I can say, to anyone who ever doubted CRK, including those who questioned what Anne and Tim could make of things going forward is this: :p

Bravo to the whole CRK team. I’m really excited for everyone. The 31 is the perfect continuation of the Sebenza legacy.

Slam Dunk!
I agree, this is gonna be a great model. I love the particular and gradual refinement to their line up. I love that they do not give in to demands of doing more trendy products or anything like that.

Which considering the backlog they have all the time they dont have a reason to change anything

I am a fan of the 21 too but I can see good improvement in the 31
My main concern for the moment is the introduction of the detent ball... I am not sure I will like it
I will have to test the knife to make my own conclusions

But otherwise, the changes are minors and may potentially improve the ergonomics of the knife so I may not too anxious

Nevertheless, only the future will tell us if it is a good knife ;)

Honestly I am not a huge fan of the fact the ceramic BB lockface models also using that larger BB as the detent.

I find that from the Inkosi I own with the large BB it seems to not flick out as well. I’m not sure if that is always true because a buddy’s Inkosi fired like a rocket.

I know we’re not supposed to flick our CRKs but I actually really enjoy the flicking action of a well broken in 21.

I will still be cautiously optimistic on this one ... I look forward to something new ... I think the inlays may have to grow on me a bit more ...

I kind of like the full inlay idea but so far the pictures haven't wowed me ...

I again like to see new stuff come out ... but I wish they weren't discontinuing the 21 ... itt is just such a huge knife in the history of folding knives ... and just so simply extravagant ...

I will be a bit sad to see the 21 go ...

but I hope the 31 is the next great evolution for Tim and CRK Knives ... I'll reserve my excitement until I see/feel/and hear some more feedback.

They canted the clip?!

I'm kinda hyperventilating over here. Going to see how much cash I can free up to start hoarding 21s.

Why aren't we in the streets over this? How much worse can 2019 get?

I will miss the 21, but having bought all my CRKs on the Exchange, there will probably always be enough at fair prices for me to find. I'm glad I have my 3 large 21s--cocobolo drawer queen, plus KA CF and Micarta inlayed Insingo users--already and to this point figured those covered the bases well enough for me.

Having let my PJ 25 go in a trade for another Shiro, I might just grab a PJ 21 when a decent deal pops up. With those left plus my 25 StarBenza, StarTac, and Inkosi natural Micarta I felt my (all-large) CRK roster was reasonably complete until this 31 came along. Now I'll be grabbing one of these new models at some point along with that PJ 21. One new knife released will eventually lead to two more here.

I agree with others in not really "getting" the ceramic ball lock. If steel is harder than Ti, but ceramic harder than steel, doesn't that just shift any potential wear from the lockbar to the blade tang? I've not seen any significant wear in the lockbars on my 21 users despite 4-figure open/closing cycles. I don't really get the angling of the clip either, as it was never an issue for me resting fully on the lockbar.

Still, I like to see CRK continuing to improve and refine their knives, much as the 25 morphed into the Inkosi to further that design and separate it from the Sebenza. The 31 is a welcome addition indeed.

I will miss the 21, but having bought all my CRKs on the Exchange, there will probably always be enough at fair prices for me to find. I'm glad I have my 3 large 21s--cocobolo drawer queen, plus KA CF and Micarta inlayed Insingo users--already and to this point figured those covered the bases well enough for me.

Having let my PJ 25 go in a trade for another Shiro, I might just grab a PJ 21 when a decent deal pops up. With those left plus my 25 StarBenza, StarTac, and Inkosi natural Micarta I felt my (all-large) CRK roster was reasonably complete until this 31 came along. Now I'll be grabbing one of these new models at some point along with that PJ 21. One new knife released will eventually lead to two more here.

I agree with others in not really "getting" the ceramic ball lock. If steel is harder than Ti, but ceramic harder than steel, doesn't that just shift any potential wear from the lockbar to the blade tang? I've not seen any significant wear in the lockbars on my 21 users despite 4-figure open/closing cycles. I don't really get the angling of the clip either, as it was never an issue for me resting fully on the lockbar.

Still, I like to see CRK continuing to improve and refine their knives, much as the 25 morphed into the Inkosi to further that design and separate it from the Sebenza. The 31 is a welcome addition indeed.

Crk carburizes their ti lockfaces on the 21s so I’m not sure how much that limits wear to the ti lockbar from the tang, but it is supposed to.

I’m not sure what will wear faster, ceramic on steel or carburized ti on steel.

I personally like the ceramic ball insert. Is the concern of the ceramic ball making grooves into the blade tang over time? If so wouldn’t their fantastic warranty cover issues like this? I cant see them setting themselves up for this type of issue. Just curious what others think.

Perhaps the Umnumzaan has been around long enough to know if the ceramic ball wear on the blade would be an issue...pretty sure there’s many that have been put through the paces. Even the 25s & Inkosi have been around a while now.
Kind of my point. It’s been around for a while now. If they’ve had issues they wouldn’t put it on their flagship model.

I wasn't around when the regular was phased out and the 21 became the main product. I'm sure the sentiments toward the 21 were the same. I'm just really excited about the direction CRK is going to sustain their place in the market. And here all this time people were thinking they were fixated on living in the past. Absolutely love the graphics on the Shiro's. Who would have thunk CRK would do something with Shirogorov.
Besides, there's still enough 21's at dealers that are still available. It's not like the shelves will be cleared of all 21's.

here ya go, it just got posted up recently, thought it may be of interest;) :thumbsup:

wonder how many times the counter guys answered the question, "So what's the difference in the 31 vs. the 21?" :rolleyes:

they'd be well served just to print up a little card showing all the differences in a T-Chart or mini-spreadsheet...

Last edited:
I personally like the ceramic ball insert. Is the concern of the ceramic ball making grooves into the blade tang over time? If so wouldn’t their fantastic warranty cover issues like this? I cant see them setting themselves up for this type of issue. Just curious what others think.
Perhaps the Umnumzaan has been around long enough to know if the ceramic ball wear on the blade would be an issue...pretty sure there’s many that have been put through the paces. Even the 25s & Inkosi have been around a while now.
Kind of my point. It’s been around for a while now. If they’ve had issues they wouldn’t put it on their flagship model.
What I meant by not "getting" it had more to do with questions (2nd sentence in my paragraph) concerning the two different lockbar types and relative wear patterns. I hadn't really thought it through, so this morning did a bit of reading as well as getting out my 3 21s to compare wear patterns to those on my 25, 'Zaan, and Inkosi.

Reading helped remind me that the strength and stability of a frame (or liner) lock is dependent on the spacing within the triangle formed by the pivot, stop pin, and lockramp/lockface interface. If the knife is properly designed, as of course CRKs are, that spacing along with other factors makes for a locked blade that will not roll (rock). If that spacing changes significantly over time due to wear, then the tendency toward blade roll can increase.

Looking at the wear patterns on my 21s, then on my ceramic ball knives after wiping them clean, I can see the wear on the LRs has progressed along its breadth changing the spacing within the locking triangle. On the ceramic ball knives, that wear has progressed at a right angle to the aforementioned and has not discernibly moved in the other, keeping the distance amongst the points of the locking triangle observably unchanged. Also, while some material must have been removed from the LR by the ceramic balls of my three knives, I certainly can't feel any groove running an object similar to a toothpick over it.

In short, the ceramic ball makes the point of LB/LR contact predictable given its specific location both initially and as the knife's action wears in. I never did think that CRK, whose design engineering is excellent, would adopt such a significant change without careful consideration or would continue to use that design and include it in new models if it didn't prove out. Personally, I don't tend to think of things in terms of warranty, but your point concerning that is well taken. As always, thoughtful commentary by BF members can lead one toward better understanding. :)

What I meant by not "getting" it had more to do with questions (2nd sentence in my paragraph) concerning the two different lockbar types and relative wear patterns. I hadn't really thought it through, so this morning did a bit of reading as well as getting out my 3 21s to compare wear patterns to those on my 25, 'Zaan, and Inkosi.

Reading helped remind me that the strength and stability of a frame (or liner) lock is dependent on the spacing within the triangle formed by the pivot, stop pin, and lockramp/lockface interface. If the knife is properly designed, as of course CRKs are, that spacing along with other factors makes for a locked blade that will not roll (rock). If that spacing changes significantly over time due to wear, then the tendency toward blade roll can increase.

Looking at the wear patterns on my 21s, then on my ceramic ball knives after wiping them clean, I can see the wear on the LRs has progressed along its breadth changing the spacing within the locking triangle. On the ceramic ball knives, that wear has progressed at a right angle to the aforementioned and has not discernibly moved in the other, keeping the distance amongst the points of the locking triangle observably unchanged. Also, while some material must have been removed from the LR by the ceramic balls of my three knives, I certainly can't feel any groove running an object similar to a toothpick over it.

In short, the ceramic ball makes the point of LB/LR contact predictable given its specific location both initially and as the knife's action wears in. I never did think that CRK, whose design engineering is excellent, would adopt such a significant change without careful consideration or would continue to use that design and include it in new models if it didn't prove out. Personally, I don't tend to think of things in terms of warranty, but your point concerning that is well taken. As always, thoughtful commentary by BF members can lead one toward better understanding. :)
Nice review. Very informative, I learn something new all the time on here. That's what makes this forum great.

My (very possibly needless) concern is the ball falling out. I know detent balls (not from CRK per se) have a slight chance of falling out. To me it just seems like another possible point of failure. Which I know CRK will take care of, but will they airlift me a press if I'm on a mountain and it's the only knife I have with me?

Also, I know a few are out there in the wild, has anyone got pictures of the washers?

Last edited:
Back