1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Introducing the Sebenza 31! (21 Is Being Discontinued)

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Lone_Wolfe, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Good point. Hopefully that won’t impact yield too significantly. I’ve seen how precarious that area can be with wood on the Mnandi and break-out on the back side of the inlay.

Lady1911 likes this.
  2. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    That’s a good point. Not much inlay material there. I’m not sure it would be problematic, although there seems to be more potential for wood inlays to crack. Or maybe it’s just the camera angle making it look so thin?

3. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I will start with the most basic configuration: large PJ with DP blade
    If the experience is positive I will move along with something more sophisticated

Lapedog and Lady1911 like this.
  4. trackstar55

trackstar55 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Huge 21 fan and I don’t want to see it go. It’s a classic. Hope they still make it.

5. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I am a fan of the 21 too but I can see good improvement in the 31
    My main concern for the moment is the introduction of the detent ball... I am not sure I will like it
    I will have to test the knife to make my own conclusions

But otherwise, the changes are minors and may potentially improve the ergonomics of the knife so I may not too anxious

Nevertheless, only the future will tell us if it is a good knife ;)

kidcongo likes this.
  6. xderiwx

xderiwx

Jan 26, 2019
    I’m new to CRK releases like this. Is there a general timeline of when these new models start to be available after the initial pre-orders? Would a Wilson Combat version be made shortly after, or are those typically a long ways away from initial release?

7. TightLines

TightLines

Sep 20, 2015
    This thread really needs some more pictures for us non-FB types. Anyone able to post some screen grabs, etc?

trackstar55 likes this.
  8. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tmd_87, Lady1911 and TYPE-R like this.
  9. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I really wish they would just make dual lugs standard. I'll be in for a small PJ DP and probably order direct so I can get the dual lug upgrade. Clip placement and the lockface/detent is what makes the inkosi superior to the 21 IMO. Glad to see these improvements coming to the Sebenza.

Lapedog likes this.
  10. CPP

Sep 8, 2014
    A summary of takeaways from the video some of which have already been mentioned in this thread:
    • Same fit and finish as the "normal" Sebenza (as Tim Reeve referred to it)
    • Same pivot and pivot bushings as the 21
    • "The blade profile hasn't changed at all"
    • The location of the detent whole has changed to accommodate the...
    • The ceramic ball interface which he said is superior to all other infaces that they know how to do including a heat treated one
    • "Angled the clip off the lock arm ever so slightly"
    • Added more flare to the chamfer on the show side of the finger groove and on the facing section of the inside of the lock bar as well as on the outside of it
    • Chamfering on the pommel area surrounding the lanyard pin[​IMG]
    • These are the only changes to the 31 other than the inlays and the same three graphicss, the same three wood inlays and the plains and uniques will be debuted at Blade Show.
    • Natural and black Micarta inlays will be offered as well
    • Three Damascus types by Chad Nichols although they will be retiring the basketweave pattern as Devin Thomas is retiring altogether and a new pattern will be debuted as well which will remain a secret (maybe)
    • The tooling hole was removed

cbr1000, loon#r, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  11. CPP

Sep 8, 2014
    • At Blade Show they will have for sale 31 large 31s and 31 smalls, all in plain stonewash with blue lugs and each will be numbered out of 31. The inlays will only be on display and for order.
    • As of the first day of Blade Show the 21 will be discontinued although they will fulfill their current backlog which is substantial before producing the 31
    • Only the drop point will be available for now but both the Insingo and Tanto blade shapes will be released at some point
    • All exclusive variations of the 31 will be on hold until 2020
    • The 31 is intended to maintain everything that was good about the 21v while making a few minor improvements where CRK felt necessary to stay current with their developing technology
    • The 31 will have the exact same dimensions as the 21
    • The lock side inlay will be similar to the Inkosi's in that it will go around the clip
    • CRK will continue to service the 21 for the foreseeable future

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    steff27, wsafetymode, cbr1000 and 3 others like this.
  12. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    It’s strange, but I kinda miss the “locating hole” in the presentation slab. I didn’t think I would, but I do, at first glance, on the PJ 31 at least. Funny how you get used to seeing it, to the point where you don’t see it, until it’s gone, then you miss it.

I can imagine the usefulness of this machining hole left long ago, but it was kept around because it added a certain something stylistically.

Anyways. The 31 will be a great looking knife. I am glad I have more than enough 21s for a lifetime too.

13. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    It may have been mentioned and I missed it. Is the new 31 supposed to have the thicker blade stock and high hollow grind of the Inkosi or is it keeping the traditional 21 blade stock and grind?

14. gusnuts

gusnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Same blade as the 21.

Kalsu and TYPE-R like this.
  15. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Keeping the 21 profile.

Kalsu likes this.
  16. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I have not seen anything on CRKs FB page. I have FB but hate it I do not have any other social media accounts.

17. trackstar55

trackstar55 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I thought they would do a little more in the social media outlets across the board to announce this knife. With high resolution photos

18. gusnuts

gusnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
    From my understanding they wanted to debut the knife at Bladeshow, but Blade Magazine printed their ad earlier than they expected and leaked it.

19. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    That's exactly what Tim said happened, good pics are imminent now.

Lady1911 likes this.
  20. RTedder2

RTedder2 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I can hardly wait until tomorrow!

Lady1911, cbr1000 and Lone_Wolfe like this.