Introduction/advice on CAK

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Amko, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks much ndog!

You'll be surprised to learn that mineral oil around my neck of the woods is expensive. So...

Can I use SAE 40 motor oil for the blade? It's what I happen to have...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Thank you ndog! That's the answer I need!! I appreciate your time!

3. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    I Googled: Motor oil has all kinds of cleaners and additives and so not good. Time to cough up for some mineral oil..

George Azar likes this.
  4. ndoghouse

ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Go to the grocery store or pharmacy where they sell laxatives (no joke) and pick up some for only a few bucks. If your chopping constipating foods...well...you ready to go:confused::D ( i wont use that other moticon).

Amko and George Azar like this.
  5. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    On some more Googling it turns out that Johnsons Baby Oil is 99% mineral oil (yikes!) so I promptly ordered 500 ml for my 3 khuks...

George Azar likes this.
  6. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    Yay! All 3 khukuris minerally oiled and ready to brave the Great Indian Monsoon!

Thanks again, ndog.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    George Azar likes this.
  7. Red Eagle Trapping

Red Eagle Trapping

Dec 3, 2016
    Congratulations on that cak and enjoy i used to just look at em too but now some of them get used heavily and they only look better. I douse mine with wd 40 and wipe them a bit amd stick them in the sheath seems to work real well. Thanks for sharing

George Azar likes this.
  8. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks Red. When I use it you will be the first to know!

9. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    Amko, I want to thank you for starting this thread on the forum! This has helped me grow with more knowledge and deeper desire and appreciation for the HI knives! Your persistence was very inspiring that if I set my mind to something, I can achieve!
    Blessings my forum friend!

Amko likes this.
  10. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    On the contrary Mr Azar...your enthusiasm for all things HI is truly exemplary. You're a delight to know.

As to the lengths to which I was prepared to go just to have an HI khukuri in my collection...I guess I was behaving like a man obsessed! It's probably rare that a khukuri went halfway around the world, twice!

ndoghouse and George Azar like this.
  11. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    IMG_9930.JPG Amko, check out my new knife. The Ultimate Fighter made by Purna!
    Sweet spot for chopping, curved towards the point for slashing, point for stabbing and the clip point....somewhat sharpened (it actually bites into my fingernail) for back slashing. And it is a Chiruwa.
    It's becoming my favorite!
    Approximately 17.5"!

Amko likes this.
  12. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    Holy Moley, Ultimate Fighter and then some. I'd hate to be on the wrong end of this bad bad boy.

On closer inspection the Cho seems a little different from the usual?
    The handle is longer as well... approx 6"?

Really digging that wicked clip point too.

Congratulations, I see why it's becoming your favorite!

George Azar likes this.
  13. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    Yangdu told me she was a Taurus and Purna was honoring her by having his Kami mark a bull head.

Amko likes this.
  14. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    IMG_9941.jpg

Amko likes this.
  15. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The half-disk shaped cho is standard on the Ultimate Fighter model. The two that I've had both came with very sharp clips. You can always make the clip sharper if it doesn't come sharp enough to suit you. However, if you plan to carry your UF in public places you might end up using a file to dull the sharp clip, since double-edged blades are highly illegal in many jurisdictions. That would almost be an act of vandalism (some might say, sacrilege), but it depends on the laws in your area and how badly you want to carry your UF. Personally I would rather keep mine at home and enjoy it with the sharp clip.

Another distinctive feature of this model is that there is no separate bolster. The handle scales are carved in the shape of a bolster, which looks very elegant.

George Azar likes this.
  16. George Azar

Apr 18, 2017
    Thank you for the additional info davidf99

17. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    David, question: what is the clip used for, exactly?

18. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Since this is a fighting knife, the sharpened clip is designed for a "back cut," executed by flicking the wrist and forearm backwards.

I'm skeptical that this would work well for the average person, since the knife is quite heavy. It might work for a person with very strong hands and forearms. I've also seen videos of people who do a backcut with two hands, where the "off-hand" provides bracing for the hand holding the knife.

If you're ever going to use an Ultimate Fighter against an actual person, I suggest that you check with your lawyer first, and maybe even bring him along. :)

George Azar likes this.
  19. ndoghouse

ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    HA!!! Good one Centurion:thumbsup:

George Azar likes this.
  20. Amko

Amko

Jun 15, 2017
    Mr Azar: how heavy is this Ultimate Fighter?