Introduction/advice on CAK

You might be surprised? If you ever get a chance to play with an 18" 0r better you could be very hungry for them bigger chips! It has been known to happen:) I love my 20" ers.
Enjoy everything in between tho!

ndog, I do have a twenty inch Shree Paanch Chirra (General) (5 Fullers, hardest to forge and craft, 5 X riveted full tang handle ) from another reputed khukuri maker in Kathmandu, Khukuri House. At 45 oz. it calls for two handed use.

That magnum CAK is obviously even more humongous, so given that 20" is my outer limit, I can only admire it as a work of art, which it no doubt is.

Mr Azar, how are you enjoying it? Thanks for saving me from that magnum CAK...

Last edited:
Amko:

Congratulations. What a shame that you were unable to get the knife shipped direct from the next door neighbor of Nepal. I wonder if some political dispute between the two countries (or some second-level government agencies on both sides) might be responsible for this problem.

Here are some links about ways to sharpen your CAK. The most important thing is to keep the convex edge geometry; do not try to put on a micro-bevel, as that will worsen the chopping ability of the blade even if you do it perfectly. Perhaps the second most important thing is that less is best. Take off as little steel as possible, and keep testing the edge before you continue on. The CAK is a heavy chopper and should have a lot of "meat" behind the edge. It does not need to be razor sharp unless you plan on using it as a razor. :)

Here are the links. There are probably many more posts about sharpening khukuris, which you can find using the Bladeforums search feature and specifying the Himalayan Imports forum.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/147613-Probably-the-best-sharpening-post-ever-made

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/Sharp.htm

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wip-a-kukris-working-edges.720287/

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/simple-way-to-put-a-convex-edge-on-a-cak.686410/
Isn't there an easier way to put a convex grind on a CAK, say by using a diamond stone (think EZ-Lap CD4…) or a simple butchers steel (which is currently handy)?

Ive used the edge of my flat DMT diamond stones to touch up the recurve part and the belly you can use the flat part just like any knife. Doing the recurve part is probably doing more burnishing than actual sharpening but it works for me. A steel works just fine too. I have one of them ceramic JA Henkels "steels" (piece of crap btw. It chips too easily). A regular steel will work fine. Sharpie the edge so you can see where your sharpening. Theres usually plenty enough slop in ones sharpening technique that you will end up with a convex edge anyway. Just be light with it.

Thanks for your input ndog.

Ever used the chakmaks to touch up the edge of your khukuris? If yes, do you use the chakmak edge or the flat side as you stroke?

Dang! I went to go get my CAK and show ya but this lil fella wasnt lettin me havin it?

62dcea0728240e486a797d4a4b7f292d

Maybe he'll put it down and ill show ya tomorrow?

Use the Chak to flatten or burnish the edge back into place. Dont try to "cut" it like one of them cheap carbide kitchen sharpening wheel things. If you get good enough and your Chak happens to be hard enough you might attempt to cut metal with it but not generally recommended. Id peen it or pound it out flat before Id cut it out. Just my preference. Dress the edge till it performs. If you aint shaving with it then it dont need to shave.

Seriously cute troll, if that's the word!

Guess you use the chakmak edge to burnish?

How's this to put an edge on a Khukuri or will it destroy a convex grind:

https://www.radacutlery.com/best/kitchen-knives/quick-edge-knife-sharpener

Then again I guess I'll just stay with the sharpening steel and focus on improving technique with a non HI Khukuri. I'm trying not to scratch the blade while I sharpen, basically.

Last edited:
I am far from an expert on sharpening, but it looks to my eye that the Rada sharpener in the link would put a concave edge on the knife, rather than convex.

Ditto that for me. I wouldn't use it. I used to be good at sharpening but I've lost the touch I guess.

I use the fine sandpaper mouse pad method most of the time.

If you scratch the blade, something you mentioned you were trying to avoid, just go to finer paper until you remove the scratches.
The sharpie NDog mentions often helps keep you where you want to be and not scratching where you don't want to be.

I try not to overthink it. They sharpen them on rocks over in Nepal.

1. Have a broad brown leather belt on a hook. Maybe I could use that as a strop but I have no backing wood or buffing compound at present.

2. Have a butchers steel. I could use it to hone the edge.

Last edited:
I try not to overthink it. They sharpen them on rocks over in Nepal.
Exactly:thumbsup:

Amko: That thing you showed in the link is exactly what im saying NOT to use. It is made for knives you get at the dollar store for $3 and when the edge gets so messed up you cant do anything with it throw it away. Its quick alright. It will quickly destroy a convex edge by definition because it is a concave sharpener. Id stick with the sandpaper or butchers steel if thats all you have access to. I do prefer ceramic rods and diamond stones tho. I use all kinds of stones and such on mine anyway just depends on what day it is and where I last left them:D

I tried the sucker (already had it from before) on an older non HI Khukuri and the edge is shaving sharp...how do I re profile to a convex edge? Use the steel?

What's the deal with concave edges...do they not stay sharp for long?

I tried the sucker (already had it from before) on an older non HI Khukuri and the edge is shaving sharp...how do I re profile to a convex edge? Use the steel?

What's the deal with concave edges...do they not stay sharp for long?

How do you reprofile? By sharpening your blade on something abrasive and yielding, like a mousepad covered in sandpaper.

What's the deal with concave edges? A hollow ground edge has less metal behind he actual edge, this makes them less strong, but more slicey. Likewise it makes them less useful for certain things like chopping wood.

The World's Bestest Curved Spine is honed down to .5 micron. That's 60,000 grit. One does not ever thumb the blade to see if it's sharp. If that happens, you will find that you have just sacrificed yourself to Kali. I use water stones and a lot of elbow grease to get it down that fine....and start with 100 grit.

Back