The REK Sparrow front flipper thread

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So glad to announce that the Sparrow (which has been in the works for almost 2 years) is finally finished and I will be making them available as they get finished (which will be done only through my newsletter).

Here are the specs:

• Overall Length: ~7 3/8"
  • Blade length: ~3.18"
  • Blade stock thickness: ~.110"
  • Cutting edge length (measured with a string wrapped around edge, choil to tip): 3.35"
  • Weight: ~3 oz (weight relief pockets incorporated inside frame)
  • Handle Thickness (not including clip): ~.450"
  • Blade Steel: Bohler M390 @61-62rc
  • Ground thin at .010-.015" thick at 15 dps
  • Ti scales and all hardware
  • Scales are fully contoured and chamfered for comfort
  • Hardened steel lock insert w/ integrated overtravel stop
  • Recessed/Hidden lanyard hole integrated into the backspacer
  • Pivot: runs on PB washers w/ a hidden hardened stop pin and hardened stainless steel pivot barrel

To be fair to everyone, the way I will be handling future sales is via a random drawing - this way everyone has an opportunity to win. So basically, when I have one or more available at any given time, I will send out an email (with pics/video) with a link to sign up to be entered in the drawing for that specific knife. Whoever wins that drawing will be given the opportunity to complete the purchase. The maker's choice Sparrows will likely vary from build to build somewhat, so conducting sales in this manner will give you an option as to whether you want in on a particular build. Price on the basic model (below) starts at $920 including shipping and pricing varies from there based upon what is done on each build.

i-xzGpJWx-XL.jpg

i-MVB2w22-XL.jpg

Some videos:

And some alternative deployment methods courtesy of Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery 😁

Last edited:
The REK Sparrow Frame Lock Flipper is a tour de force! Wow Josh, your attention to detail and skill in craftsmanship is super impressive. Congratulations on a beautiful product. :cool: I will certainly try to get in on a future drawing.

I ONLY wish that it had a back spacer. I've never liked what I call a hollow folder. I just don't like the blade exposed to pocket crap and I don't mind running an alcohol dipped q-tip in there once in a while. Might just be my delusion, nonetheless I prefer a back spacer. The added weight would be negligible.

In any case, my preference notwithstanding, this is an award winning build. I will be envious of those who get to own one. ;) Very, very nicely done.:thumbsup:

The REK Sparrow Frame Lock Flipper is a tour de force! Wow Josh, your attention to detail and skill in craftsmanship is super impressive. Congratulations on a beautiful product. :cool: I will certainly try to get in on a future drawing.

I ONLY wish that it had a back spacer. I've never liked what I call a hollow folder. I just don't like the blade exposed to pocket crap and I don't mind running an alcohol dipped q-tip in there once in a while. Might just be my delusion, nonetheless I prefer a back spacer. The added weight would be negligible.

In any case, my preference notwithstanding, this is an award winning build. I will be envious of those who get to own one. ;) Very, very nicely done.:thumbsup:
Thanks Ray!! Well it does have a backspacer (as opposed to standoffs) - it's just not a full length one 😂

I've noticed that pocket lint gets in anything whether or not it's full length or not. But I get your point regarding things getting in there and dinging the edge 😁 for lint though, a can of compressed air does wonders!

Thanks Ray!! Well it does have a backspacer (as opposed to standoffs) - it's just not a full length one 😂

I've noticed that pocket lint gets in anything whether or not it's full length or not. But I get your point regarding things getting in there and dinging the edge 😁 for lint though, a can of compressed air does wonders!

... so add another 2" to it and you've got something :thumbsup: :D This, a very gentle and humble opinion.
You've dun real good Josh. :cool:

REK Knives REK Knives

I’m going to weigh in here if you don’t mind, Josh.

Ray! 😁 So glad you like the looks of the Sparrow.

I just wanted to touch on the backspacer suggestion, if you don’t mind. Josh and I had an extensive conversation during design and prototyping of the Sparrow regarding a full length backspacer. It was a feature we did take into consideration.
(Just adding a photo in this post for reference)
DA2F649E-BF95-420D-A97B-7C306096E553.jpeg
There are a few reasons that the full length backspacer was not implemented on the Sparrow.
One, we decided that it was more important to keep the weight down, and keep the balance point where it was for ease of flipping.
Two, in order to implement a full backspacer we would essentially have to give up either the rather nice bladeshape (it would have had to either sit higher in the closed position, or take some meat off the cutting edge in order to have the slim profile when closed), or make the handle of the Sparrow wider in order to accommodate the backspacer.

The Sparrow was designed to function as a superior front flipper. So keeping the weight low and distributed properly, allowed the Sparrow to be comfortable in hand, light, strong and with incredible action.

I’m not saying that there aren’t a few Ideas rolling around in my head for a 3/4 to full backspacer, but as of yet, it has not been implemented.

Hope this helps with our thought process during the design phase.

Looking forward to your thoughts, Ray, when a “bird” is finally in your hands.

Yeah - the lack of back spacer is not a deal breaker - just a personal preference - BUT NOT at the compromise of all the issues you detailed. I'd be very happy to flick this beauty for my own.

I understand this Sparrow is a very thoughtfully evolved little bird. :thumbsup: Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
And now I'm looking through my collection, deciding which knives have gotta go to make room for one of these bad boys. :p

The acoustics of the lockup sound sooo good! I can really tell you have it dialed in. I'm sold.

Back