Irma she looks like she is gonna be a bad be yatch

FOG2

Gold Member
I live in central fl. Whats called the Spacecoast. The last track I saw showed her going over Key West. None of us know where she is gonna hit but all of us in Fl. Need to prepare.
As anyone living near a coast in any state should,hopefully Texas doesn't get any of her.

Last edited:
I live up in the Panhandle, and Dennis (2005) changed the economy here. We still are recovering property values, and are just over the half way mark to what we were pre Dennis.

I can only IMAGINE what Irma could do to us.

Everyone needs watching over with this storm. Irma is a cat 5 monster.

My daughter lives in Florida and has been preparing. Just now on CBC (national public radio here) they are running the sound track of 300 km winds as they report about the advance of Irma.

From many miles away, all I can say is ... stay safe ... all of you.

Last edited:
Already praying for you guys.

There is some hope. Remember that the islands of Haiti, DR, Cuba and such are quite mountainous. Often, they help slow things down by being a wind break of sorts. Also, storms with winds that fast are hard to keep together. They tear themselves apart. Not uncommon for them to drop to cat 3 and then restrengjten. Of course, that is only of value if it is dropped when it hits you!

Most models have it being a cat 3 when at south end of Florida. Most.... while that's still a nasty storm, it's no cat 5!

Good luck, good prayer and recommendations if really considering a decision to stay for our Florida friends from south Louisiana.

That's it.
I'm starting the Ark tonight. Anyone know how to breed knives?
And an X-class solar flare:

www.spaceweather.com

It's a very strange feeling watching the store shelves empty out.
The entire town is waiting for more water deliveries that are coming tomorrow morning. Not one bottle of water to be found in town right now...
However the 2 local bars are as full as ever. Go figure.

There are all kinds of ideas but little mention of water preparations .Such as UV systems .Food ? They've got two freezers full of food . Doesn't that need fuel for generators ?
Sometimes I wonder when I see people rescue a large alligator .In TX where they love BBQ ? Feed alligator after BBQ to now homeless people . Up here in backwards NY myself and others eat very fresh deer road kill ! Maybe you don't know the origins of the term " wind fall profits "

Zombie411, A recent comment about the deaths of whales is that solar flares' effect magnetic fields which are used to navigate . The whales are then confused and run aground ! Do you have any info about that ??

I know very little about biology, and it's interactions with its surroundings however my sister has her doctorate in Sustainable Marine Sciences.
That is something I am certain she has in interest in. Keeping it Green is a TV show she produced a few years ago.

Not to sidetrack but I agree on the thought of wasted food sources.
I watch out of season fisheries go to waste daily. If you can not keep a specific seasonal fish, why are you not allowed to donate it to a food bank rather that releasing, and watching it die.

All those fish, and gators are looking pretty good right about now. :thumbsup:

There is tremendous food waste in the USA.

Irma looks really bad at this point. It is just north of Puerto Rico at the moment. Projections now pretty much have it hitting the southern end of FL and moving northward. We'll see what the projections show tomorrow. If I lived in South FL, I would be hard pressed to stay put if I had a place to go. But it won't be just South FL being impacted.... They were showing 125 mph winds pretty much near the northern end of FL near GA. That is still a very potent storm.

Keep the faith. Prepare.

“This storm is bigger, faster and stronger than Hurricane Andrew,” cautioned Florida Gov. Rick Scott...

There are STILL desolate areas where Andrew hit Homestead in '92. Places that used to have homes.

Where I live, my house is about 900 yards off the coast in Franklin county.
I am on top of the pre historic dune here so flooding is not a real concern. Wind is.

I've stayed put thru 8-9 hurricanes but this one has me worried. You know... that "feeling"!
I'm not religious at all but my prayers are with everyone in the path of this storm.

Keep safe!\
Ken

I am on top of the pre historic dune here so flooding is not a real concern. Wind is.

I've stayed put thru 8-9 hurricanes but this one has me worried. You know... that "feeling"!
I'm not religious at all but my prayers are with everyone in the path of this storm.

Keep safe!\
Ken
Ken, stay safe. If your gut is telling you to leave, might want to trust it sooner rather than later. My prayers are with you and everyone in the path of Irma.

Last edited:
Well thank you sir.
There are a lot of souls down here that i am certain appreciate you sentiment.

Oddly enough it is calm as a desert outside. Today was the first day of the entire summer that we did NOT have rain.
Prayers for all...

“This storm is bigger, faster and stronger than Hurricane Andrew,” cautioned Florida Gov. Rick Scott...

In the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew I was camping in the area of Homestead and on through to Key West. The images of devastation are still vivid in my thoughts. The camps were full-up with construction workers from all parts of the state.

We are with all of you in hoping for your safety, as you face the coming of Irma.

There are STILL desolate areas where Andrew hit Homestead in '92. Places that used to have homes.

Keep safe!\
Ken
Looking like Irma is going to stay more on the Atlantic side of FL versus swing over into the Gulf at this point. Looks like you'll be okay if the projections are correct.

I just finished prepping. Called work and asked for any and all shifts. I see no reason to sit home and watch the weather channel.

My brother still had reservations in Oxford, MS. but with the current path we will probably hole up at his house in Tampa or, if need be, out at the family business a little bit east on higher ground.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew I was camping in the area of Homestead and on through to Key West. The images of devastation are still vivid in my thoughts. The camps were full-up with construction workers from all parts of the state.

We are with all of you in hoping for your safety, as you face the coming of Irma.

I was one of those workers.
My Great Aunts lived in Miami at the time of Andrew. I still have cousins in Homestead today.
My brothers, my brother in-law, and I spent three months down there rebuilding, and helping with the clean up.
It is more than humbling to understand that Everything is nothing. Family is all that really matters. I am also "that guy" that includes pets/livestock as family. (Not so much fish tho. They are more like that weird uncle you never see)

Anyway...
It does look better for western Florida at the moment.
You never know tho... I forget which hurricane it was in 2004 that crossed the state TWICE. I was in St Augustine for that season... Several groups of us stayed in the old Spanish fort during the worst of it. Then 2 weeks with no power.

For now my prayers to everyone impacted. Stay SAFE!

I am close to Tampa and I am going in shop tomorrow and spraying down with WD40 and tarping and covering all my main equipment in case of roof damage. Small stuff I will worry about after the fact. There is no way out of this one , some of us in Fl. is gonna get it bad, others maybe not. All we can do now is ride this big b--ch out. WD40 and plastic tarps might help in the end. Prayers and thoughts for everybody.

I'm watching Joe Rogan's pod cast.
They are discussing Antigua, and Barbuda.
Barbuda is basically GONE! 95% of all buildings damaged or GONE.

L.A. Times...
"Once there was an island known as Barbuda. After Hurricane Irma, much of it is gone.
urricane Irma decimated the small Caribbean island of Barbuda, ripping apart buildings, uprooting trees and killing at least one person as its 185 mph winds swept across the two-island nation best known for its pristine sandy beaches.

And now Hurricane Jose is apparently about to deliver another big blow.

“We just received a report that Jose should hit Barbuda directly,” Roderick Faustin, first secretary for the Embassy of Antigua and Barbuda in Washington said in an email to The Times on Thursday. “So we may have to evacuate the island.”"

They (Joe Rogan) are now discussing the width of the storm (Irma), and the width of Florida. The word ERASER was just used.

Irma is rated at Seven Trillion watts of power. Twice the energy of ALL the bombs used in WWII combined.

The worst part is trying to evacuate. No gas. No water, and clogged roads all leading to the same route out. If you are evacuating, the sooner the better.

Zombie411: As you know they are projecting a track further west and along the Gulf Coast of FL now. Not a good track for you. Better prepare.

Last edited:
Back