Irma she looks like she is gonna be a bad be yatch

We lived in Bradenton for a few years 2002-2005. The one thing I learned is that these things are very unpredicatable. We evacuated for Charley in 2004 and went to Daytona because everyone said it was going to make landfall near Tampa. Instead it turned East well South of Tampa, came up through Orlando and exited right through Daytona. Friends that stayed in Bradenton said it never even got cloudy.

You just never know what these things are going to do

And that is true true!.. I do like the 11am track,which moved it further away from me, but it could still come right over my head.

They news media inundates us with updates but it really proves they have no idea. There is definitely going to a hurricane in Florida but beyond that is still unknown.

I've been steady prepping for 3 days and I'm plumb wore out. Was supposed to have 10 people 6 horses and 2 cats evacuate to my place. The horses and the cats are here. 3 people have gone and already returned to south Florida. Four People expected out of Jax ended up staying put. One from So Florida is still here but the service and entertainment is not up to South Florida standards.

I'm sitting here in sw Broward county. We keep getting tornado warnings on Xfinity cable but all we've had so far is intermittent heavy rain and some gusty wind. Hopefully we'll miss the big stuff. Good luck to everyone in Florida and wherever this thing is going.

The Fl. keys are gonna take years to come back from this. And Some never will. This is a sad situation for what has been paradise in my mind.
It makes me even more sad that I was unable to visit due to my health this year.

Here in GA Preparing Bracing Praying

Matthew was enough...

Still tying things down at noon today. Finally said enough already and took a 1 hour nap. Not looking forward to the wind hitting in the middle of the night.

Used the better part of a thousand foot spool of baling twine. That's a lot of tying down.

Starting at 5pm the wind and rain has picked up here in Melbourne and power has flickered on and off. Hopefully she will stay west of me. No power is what I fear having been W/O in the past and slept in my car for the A/C.There have been tornadoes but not where I am. So far.

The power has now gone out along with some nasty storm bands and Irma is still a long way from here.

SW Broward: Our power came back this morning. Lots of branches down. Not too bad here.

Jacksonville is getting. Hammered by the surge

The surge is an interesting topic. I was concerned about the Naple-Fort Myers area and the predicted surge of water on land. But honestly, I never really saw any reporting on that. My guess is that it wasn't much.

In Jacksonville, the wind is blowing water up stream along the St John's River into the downtown area.

I wonder about the storm surge too,as there was so much hype about it.
We came thru with some wood fence and pool screening damaged, the worst part has been power,iy is hard to sleep with no a/c. But I came to work at 11am and I am still here, we have power now and LOTS of customers who want food and beer and other peoples company.
I am considering staying to sleep in the a/c, we do have a couch thats lookin purdy good right now.

Glad you have electricity now. It may be a while for some, but they are restoring things pretty quickly overall.

My sense is that the storm surge "hype" is a by product of the play it safe mentality. On the other hand, I would absolutely not want to be in a normal house with a 10 foot storm surge.

Got my phone and DSL internet restored Friday. Eleven days for AT&T to get around to it. Still have AT&T issues at my business. Been clearing junk e-mail from the computer for the past 2 hours but clearing flooding and downed trees at the farm for two weeks.
Still have 8" of water under a mobile home here on the farm. That one flooded in 2004 and I did a lot of drainage work back then and in the years since. Have not had so much as a puddle in the MH yard in the past ten years but Irma flooded it 4 ft deep in just 4 hours. That MH may be a total loss and of course since is an older MH i have no insurance on it. Spent 10K on it a year ago putting in all new bathroom cabinets and fixtures, all new vinyl flooring, all new interior doors and painted every wall. New living room furniture. Pretty much all that work is ruined. Thank goodness it serves only as a guest house and not a full time residence for somebody. There was a water moccasin sunning on the door step when I waded in to check it yesterday. He went the other way under the house before I could get a shot at him.

Water Moccasins are literally the only snake I hate here in the US. I think they know humans hate them. Everything else I can tolerate unless it's poisonous and in my backyard where someone might tramp on it. Even those I resist doing anything with them.

Back