Ironhorse motor key / pulley question

Hey all,

Just got my new orgin blade maker grinder setup today. I went to put the pulley on the shaft and I can only get it on 1/4 of the way! I tried to heat the pulley and still the same thing. Is there a trick to it? I really don't want to beat the hell out of it, but if that's what I gotta do!

https://imgur.com/a/jY2fcu3

Last edited:
It may just be the photo, but it looks like your wheel isn't square to the shaft. The shaft should be snug, but not super tight. You may need to lightly tap it to get your wheel seated all the way. I have purchased items from OBM and the quality has always been great. If you are still struggling to get it seated, I'm sure contacting them with your issue will result in a positive solution. Let us know how it turns out, and congrats on your new grinder.

Use calipers to measure shaft with key and pulley hole diameters. If you have calipers or suitable micrometer that is...

I wouldn't beat it on...it could damage the shaft. At the most some light taps with a rubber mallet nothing more. That's how I put mine on and it went on snug as a bug.

Also what leOne said. If the key is the problem you might be able to very carefully file it down a bit. If not see if you can get a new key.

See if it easily fits on the shaft without the key, if it does then do what seanj suggested and file it down on the top side of the key. I would use something like 400-600 grit paper and lightly sand as opposed to a file to sand along the side that will be the top of the key first since it doesn't need to be a perfect fit in that dimension. If that still doesn't work just swipe the other sides along the paper a few times. Again, this is assuming the pulley fits on without the key. Key-stock is pretty cheap and easy to get so don't worry too much about taking it to some sandpaper.

Also, it does look a good bit out of square in your second photo so make sure it is square with the shaft when tapping it on. You can use a block of wood over the wheel and then take a hammer and hit the wood to tap it on without marring the wheel.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Thats odd problem.
As mentioned, try without a key to verify the shaft and bore are good.

If you end up sanding something down, you can use bluing or a felt tip marker.
Colour the shaft and key, then trying to fit the wheel will reveal where interference is happening.

I usually put the wheel on first, and then tap in the key. Otherwise, after the wheel starts going on it can push the key back and raise the end … making the wheel jam tight after it is only on a bit.

As the other said, take the key off and make sure everything is good from your previous attempts.

I usually put the wheel on first, and then tap in the key. Otherwise, after the wheel starts going on it can push the key back and raise the end … making the wheel jam tight after it is only on a bit.

As the other said, take the key off and make sure everything is good from your previous attempts.

This is good advice. Also, when fitting the wheel on the shaft, a slight twisting motion will help it self align & slide on. If everything was sized right, it should be a very precise slip fit.

In the photo, it looks like the wheel is out of square AND the key is starting to ramp up on the keyseat, making everything jam in place. Any more beating is going to damage the motor shaft and bearings.

Thanks all. I actually got the key off and it fits like a glove. I'll just tap the key in after I have it adjusted!

Use a piece of brass against the key and tap the other end with a small to medium size hammer. Don't ever strike the key directly with a steel hammer.

Back