Ironwood Obsession

Thanks everyone. I'm quite partial to natural handle materials. As far as my favorite, I've been thinking on this all day and still can't decide.

And Phil, you ever decide to let that Duke go, please give me a shout.

Wow Tony! I always seem to be drawn to the ironwood knives and your collection is just spectacular!

Here is an Ironwood CPM 154 Hiking Buddy that I sold to a gentleman in GA as their first ever Fiddleback.

SN4Mi6c.jpg

Wz6Yekj.jpg

You are not alone, and for good reason. Ironwood is almost a perfect wood for handles. Dense, hard, beautiful, and real oily and stable. Its also hell on belts and smells strong. Its a burnt cofee kind of smell, and it sticks to you.

Thank you for your sacrifice, Mr. Roy. I'll take you covered in burnt coffee/oily/Ironwood dust, and the destruction of your sanding belts all day long, to keep me in these prizes. Should I just set up a direct deposit account?

Hahaha. Maybe I'll just bring you an apprentice. His name is Luca, and he says someday he wants to work with you and Allen. And that Phillip dude. But I suspect it's really about Ivy.

I know this is not one from the forge, but I also love IW!!! If I am going to go with a wood handle, it's Ironwood or Osage!!!!

77e5Iqf.jpg

w5XIin1.jpg

Martin

You Ironwood guys need to go check out Jarrett Fleming's last available post.

Martin, thats a good looking knife. And Jarrett's knives are fantastic. I own two of them.

OK Tony, it took me a while to dig through my collection and sort things out, however, here are a few pics of my personal obsession. I'm going to start with my absolute favorite, a FB Bushcrafter in CPM-154 stainless:

IMG_6675_2_zps52fa6586.jpg

Here are the rest of my Fiddlebacks sporting Ironwood. Thanks goes out to Phil, Jerry and Will for making a few of these available. BTW, the one that got me started was the Sneaky Pete in IW Burl:

DSC00866_zpswqxpjlbm.jpg

Here is a "His & Hers" set from Allen in bolstered IW Burl:

DSC00852_zpsjhuiubtg.jpg

And finally a couple from Adam Gray at AA Forge:

DSC00867_zpsvsyi5mj1.jpg

Peter

Peter,

Oh man...breathtaking! I'm particularly taken by that his/hers set from Mr. Surls.

Incredible.

Thanks guys, you both got it right, the burl on the Sneaky is something special as well. As I said, that's the knife that got me started down this particular rabbit hole. When Mother Nature & the Maker gets it right, it can be magical as we've seen with many of the awesome knives that have been shown in this thread !

Peter, I spy my favorite KEB to date!!

And I have to agree, the scales on that Sneaky are off the chart!

Peter, I spy my favorite KEB to date!!

And I have to agree, the scales on that Sneaky are off the chart!

Thanks Sergio. That's the knife I was fortunate to pick up from Jerry, the KEB that is......what a guy !

Thanks Sergio. That's the knife I was fortunate to pick up from Jerry, the KEB that is......what a guy !

After we PMd I saw this post and thought, "Well, I should probably not hold my breath to ever get that KEB back." followed by "I have better luck to pest Phillip to make another in the next year or so." :)

Back