1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Is 36 grit worth it?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Looney36, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

1. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Don't stock up, get a few and try it.

There's nothing like first hand experience with YOUR equipment and style.

I personally don't like to go that coarse, except maybe on wood

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 11:24 PM
    GABaus likes this.
  2. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    Is this the siabite? Like $13 each?

3. Looney36

Looney36 Beginner knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Yes, but I can get them for the same price in CAD$
    Edit: add to that free shipping

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:46 PM
  4. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Going from 50 to 36 is not going to be as dramatic as 80 to 36. Anything less than 80 is when you need a lot of material gone ASAP. A fresh 36 eats material like a kid on a bag of Halloween candy.

I bust it out for major repairs like a broken tip chef knife grinding the front into a santoku.

GABaus likes this.
  5. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I’ve found VSM and then Norton Budget Ceramic Belts to be the best value. I like 36 for Stainless Blade Steels & I grind after HT. My progression is 36, 60, 120 then to finishing belts. As stated , we all grind a little different . Try some ceramic 36 belts. They make my life easier!

6. J. Hoffman

J. Hoffman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2011
    I use 36 to rough in my bevels. The way I grind I need to prevent heat, and 36 removes a lot of material with little heat.

7. Looney36

Looney36 Beginner knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Thank you all for your input! I will try a couple 36 and see by myself.

8. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    36 grit belts when they've become useless for bevels and slow to profile still have a lot of life left in them for rough surface grinding with a hard contact wheel.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  9. butcher_block

butcher_block

Dec 6, 2004
    im a 50 grit grinder but im running slower SFPM and im grinding 3/32 SS. if i wass hogging away thicker carbon steel sock and had a 3500rpm motor on my KMG then the 36 might make more sense

AVigil likes this.
  10. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    I'll use 36 grit ceramic belts to rough in bevels when I'm using stock thicker than approx. 0.125". On thinner stock I rough them in with 50 or 60 grit because there's not as much steel to remove. I like the VSM XK870 that Pop's Knife Supply has.

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  11. Looney36

Mar 10, 2019
    Good to know guys, I'll definitely try a couple 36 grit, maybe for the thick stock like some of you suggested.