Is a knife an accessory?

quick question for you guys I just had an hour long argument with my girl fighting over if a knife is an accessory. I told her it's not told her it was a tool used as a tool and that's it. But she keeps on telling me it's an accessory. That carry it around because pretty...

Like most things in male / female arguments, it's both. You're both right. If you carried a screwdriver or a hammer around with you, yeah it's a tool. Maybe you're a carpenter. Make the screwdriver a flipper out of D2 with ergonomic carbon fiber handles and put a swedge with a slight recurve on the shaft, it's an accessory. It's a craft. It's an art. Craftsmen have been embellishing weapons for centuries for a flair and personal touch, but it doesn't make them any less useful or deadly.

To me it turns into an accessory once gaudy lanyards, beads and pocket clips are applied especially when the embellishments cost more than the knife.

Accessory
Noun
A thing that can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive.

I think she meant luxuries. Why can't a tool be an accessory? Yes, my knives are luxurious tools. I'm ok with that. If a knife was strictly a tool, I would just carry a SAK or Leatherman.

No, Knives are essentials. All of my other stuff is just accessories for my knives. :D

Knives do make me more useful, versatile, and attractive. So yes!

Her purse could also be seen as a bag to carry stuff, or is it something she carries empty only because it's pretty?
Same with knives. Tool first but also pretty, depending on the model.

A knife is an essential part of my daily gear. It doesn't need to appear pretty. Just so it performs the task of cutting for me. DM

A knife is an essential part of my daily gear. It doesn't need to appear pretty. Just so it performs the task of cutting for me. DM

My wife says a bit of both.
And I tend to agree; it is a tool, but I certainly do match it to my mood that day, or what I'm doing.
Considerations like "Does this knife or that one feel more woodsy" when I'm headed to the woods...even if there are 5 knives that all would function equally well.

Embrace the intangible whatevers that make living in this part of the world so much fun! :D

If you ever carry a knife that costs more than $50, it's an accessory and no longer just a tool.

quick question for you guys I just had an hour long argument with my girl fighting over if a knife is an accessory. I told her it's not told her it was a tool used as a tool and that's it. But she keeps on telling me it's an accessory. That carry it around because pretty...
Don't you understand, you were disagreeing with a woman, so you're automatically wrong and she's right, whatever the subject might be.

:D

The way I see it, if you use a knife to cut things, then it's a tool.

If you never cut with your knife, but only fondle it, flick it, open it, etc, then it's a toy.

If you carry a knife as a part of your wardrobe, but not to use, then it's an accessory.

And if you choose a knife based on it's beauty, and carry it but never use it to cut things, then it's "man jewelry".

I'm sort of kidding about all that ;)

If you ever carry a knife that costs more than $50, it's an accessory and no longer just a tool.

That's a pretty shallow generalization lol. An accessory is something added to something else that increases usefulness, versatility, or attractiveness. Depending on your interpretation of the definition, all knives would either be accessories or not, independent of price. You could have a $10, $200, or $1000 knife that you use to go camping with, usually not considered an accessory. Or you could have a $10, $200, or $1000 knife that you keep in your pocket because the clip looks cool with your pants. That's an accessory.

Don't you understand, you were disagreeing with a woman, so you're automatically wrong and she's right, whatever the subject might be.

:D

The way I see it, if you use a knife to cut things, then it's a tool.

If you never cut with your knife, but only fondle it, flick it, open it, etc, then it's a toy.

If you carry a knife as a part of your wardrobe, but not to use, then it's an accessory.

And if you choose a knife based on it's beauty, and carry it but never use it to cut things, then it's "man jewelry".

I'm sort of kidding about all that ;)

So...say you chose it because it looks cool, fondle it (I think fondle is a somewhat strange word to use when talking about knives, but I'll go with it since it is weirdly accurate), but also cut stuff, would it be a man jewelry tool toy?

so...say you chose it because it looks cool, fondle it (i think fondle is a somewhat strange word to use when talking about knives, but i'll go with it since it is weirdly accurate), but also cut stuff, would it be a man jewelry tool toy?

Bingo! :D

That's a pretty shallow generalization lol. An accessory is something added to something else that increases usefulness, versatility, or attractiveness. Depending on your interpretation of the definition, all knives would either be accessories or not, independent of price. You could have a $10, $200, or $1000 knife that you use to go camping with, usually not considered an accessory. Or you could have a $10, $200, or $1000 knife that you keep in your pocket because the clip looks cool with your pants. That's an accessory.

Point taken, I can't disagree.

Any way you slice this argument, the end result is that you are going to be sleeping on the couch. If selecting the Knives of the Day is going to be called accessorizing, that's fine by me. Just don't make me match my shoes--I wear ugly shoes.

quick question for you guys I just had an hour long argument with my girl fighting over if a knife is an accessory. I told her it's not told her it was a tool used as a tool and that's it. But she keeps on telling me it's an accessory. That carry it around because pretty...[/QUOTE

Chicken in a biscuit !!!!

Last edited:
Back