Is a Kubotan legal to carry in new york city?

Anybody know? Does it have to be on a keychain? I prefer to carry mine in a mini maglight holster.

Any thoughts? I've been stopped in NYC for carrying a knife but what about a small kubotan?

Probably.

BUT, I would not recommend carrying it exposed, in a mini maglight holster or otherwise.
Inside your pocket is your best bet for carrying such items in NYC.

EDIT: subsequent posts say that it's probably not OK to carry one in NYC.

Last edited:
True.

I actually carry it concealed, but the thing is, what if I have to use it in a fight and the cops catch me with it?

I'd rather be alive with a weapons charge than dead while obeying the law.

True.
what if I have to use it in a fight and the cops catch me with it?

I really don't know...

When visiting NYC, which I do often, if I'm concerned about the area I'm going into - especially when it's dark out - I carry a cane.
And a very powerful LED light.

Fact is, it's now statistically the safest large city in the country.

And it's crawling with police; they're all over.

Oh, I agree. Part of me is more afraid of the police than any "badguy" out there.

I remember visiting Colorado and seeing guys openly carrying handguns and KA Bar Bowie knives on their hips. In NYC, you have a spyderco in your pocket and the cops flip out and want to arrest you.

I just want to cover all my bases. I used to carry a standard folding knife on a clip in my pocket, now I carry a 3 inch cold steel voyager in my pocket with no clip, just so a cop wont stop me.

It's pretty stupid. I think a kubotan is more practical in NY. And if I have to use it to save my ass, I dont want to go to jail for a weapons charge.

It is what it is.

Why not carry a mini-Maglight instead of a kubotan in that holster? Or better, in a pocket.

Mini mag light isn't heavy enough. My kubotan is heavy as hell for such a little stick. Works great.

Kubotans fall under " any item designed for use as a weapon" so yes they are illegal. A solid metal pen or collaspable pointer is not unless carried or used as a weapon. Always remember the number one weapon possession charge item in a bar fight is a BEER BOTTLE ! Anything is a weapon once used as one, and you will be so charged. The only thing that will prevent you from being charged is a CLEAR case of self defense or response to a robbery in which you defended yourself to stop the robbery.

Oh, I agree. Part of me is more afraid of the police than any "badguy" out there.

I remember visiting Colorado and seeing guys openly carrying handguns and KA Bar Bowie knives on their hips. In NYC, you have a spyderco in your pocket and the cops flip out and want to arrest you.

I just want to cover all my bases. I used to carry a standard folding knife on a clip in my pocket, now I carry a 3 inch cold steel voyager in my pocket with no clip, just so a cop wont stop me.

It's pretty stupid. I think a kubotan is more practical in NY. And if I have to use it to save my ass, I dont want to go to jail for a weapons charge.

It is what it is.
The original Kubotan, as designed by Tak Kubota and marketed by Monadnock Lifetime Products, is nothing more than a 5-or-6" piece of heavy-duty plastic. You could even save yourself some money by cutting off a similar length of broomhandle. I have yet to hear of a jurisdiction where they are illegal.

Kubotans fall under " any item designed for use as a weapon" so yes they are illegal. A solid metal pen or collapsable pointer is not unless carried or used as a weapon.

I have yet to hear of a jurisdiction where they are illegal.

I'll go with tom19176.

A strong pen or small flashlight used properly will provide much of the effect of a kubotan without the problem of a purpose-designed weapon.

Strength and skill are more of a factor by far than the negligible weight of a light or a heavy kubotan.

So now it's illegal to carry a 4-5" stick in NYC??!!What BS!:rolleyes:

I dissent and point out that "any item designed for use as a weapon" is incomplete and actually not what the law says..
It says under § 265.01 "any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another."
In most jurisdictions, this "other" category cannot be applied unless there was unlawful intent.

We aren't talking about most jurisdictions. And in NYC, carrying a purpose-built weapon is evidence enough for them to adduce intent.

Catch 22 anyone? Want to bet on how much it will cost for a lawyer to get you off, and after how many days incarcerated?

glistam section 265.15 #4 reads.....

"The possession by any person of any dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument, appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully against another. "

The judge will not( and has not) seen it your way. They are designed clearly as a weapon and the law defines that as intent.

"The possession by any person of any dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument, appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully against another. "

The judge will not( and has not) seen it your way. They are designed clearly as a weapon and the law defines that as intent.

aw crap:mad:

Such a statute like that is, in my opinion, an abomination of American law. But I guess I can't really change that. It's what they wrote and presumable voted for in that state. Having any capacity to use physical force automatically assumes you intend to use it unlawfully? ug, man that's awful!

But what if you keep one in your home as an "antique" or "curio"? Would that be legal? Would it have to be in a locked display case or what?

IMHO they can take that law and shove it. I carry my Victorinox SAK. I use my stiletto at home as a novelty letter opener. Does this equal "intent to use the same unlawfully against another"? Hell no.

Different ADA's sometimes view this differently, but when the words "possession by any person" are used instead of simply "possession" it is meant to cover a weapon carried on your person and not in house, however the penal law goes into great detail to state how a illegal firearm in a house is a Misd, while it is a felony on your person, so some ADAs do not feel that the simple wording of "by any person" allows for the possession in a house.....Yesterday there were 14 teens arrested in a mall in Downtown Brooklyn, and the officers were looking for any types of weapons at all. This was for Dis con and trespass, and believe me a kubotan found on one of them would have been a instant weapons charge. Most of the officers still thought mace was illegal and it is not.....

Get something like a nitecore D20 flashlight . Better performance than a minimag , and quite grippy with a good pocket clip . Since it's an LED it will handle the impact .

Save yourself a whole lot of trouble , any Kubaton will be made as a weapon by any sighted officer , many jurisdictions don't care too much , not so NYC !

Do not get a "tactical" pen , or a TIC for your flashlight ( TIC=tactical impact crown ), the secret is out on those puppies .

A Streamlite Stylus Pro is also a pretty good bet , cheap ( aprox $20.00 or less ), quite bright , and very grippy .

Just my $0.02 .

Chris

NYC and NYS have plenty of good laws and bad laws, like all cities and states.

For us here in BF, their strict laws on knives & other hand weapons are a PITA for sure.

As others have noted, though, you can carry a great flashlight, pepper spray, and even a
walking stick if you wish - and thus be reasonably well armed for defensive purposes.

only a matter of time before the law reads:

Walking sticks are considered a dangerous weapon, unless you have a doctors note signed by 3 doctors.

and

Flashlights of any size are considered a dangerous weapon while the sun is up. :rolleyes:

Back