is a new umnumzaan supposed to destroy your thumb?

Hi folks,

Received an umnumzaan yesterday, and I'm having trouble opening and closing it. I have to use alot of thumb pressure on the thumbstud to break the detent, even though my fingers are not holding the lockbar. I find it easier to flick it out than to slowly push it out. My thumb pad hurts after playing with the knife after a short while.

Also the lockbar is very stiff when disengaging, and it's shredding my thumb. Is it supposed to be stiff out of the box or does it loosen up after breaking in? I've watched the ApostleP's video "umnumzaan tips for smooth operation" but it seems he can open and close it with such minimal effort!

My thumb is so sore at the moment :D but they're definitely no stranger to framelocks. It's only this umnumzaan that has been giving me grief. I'm at the point of considering returning it and buying another Sebenza 21, which is unfortunate because I was so excited to finally get an umnum.

Any help guys? Do i just have a sissy thumb? Thanks!!

Heh... yeah, my thumb was REALLY sore after I got the Umnumzaan. But the knife got smoother and my callus got thicker, and the lockbar presents no problems now. I don't know what to tell you about the thumb-stud. If you are following the chamfer in the scale and pushing up instead of out, I don't know why it might be tougher. I have never been able to flip the blade out quickly, so we definitely do not share the same opening experience.

Good luck toughening up that sissy thumb though. :D

Yupp that will happen when you get an umm. I went through the exact same pain. It will get easier as your thumb gets used to it. Try using the back of your thumb nail if you're going to flick it open, it will save your thumb a bit.

I watched the same apostle p vid and thought the same thing. It does get easier and your thumb will get accustomed to the process.

You'll be flicking that "race car" of a knife in no time!

My Umnumzaan is much easier to open than either my 21 or 25. Purchased all three used off BF exchange so perhaps well broken in prior to my receiving. Do know that thumb movement is much different than on Seb's. More forward than up. Good luck. I like my Zaan much more than I thought I would.

Hi folks,

Received an umnumzaan yesterday, and I'm having trouble opening and closing it. I have to use alot of thumb pressure on the thumbstud to break the detent, even though my fingers are not holding the lockbar. I find it easier to flick it out than to slowly push it out.
My thumb is so sore at the moment :D but they're definitely no stranger to framelocks. It's only this umnumzaan that has been giving me grief. I'm at the point of considering returning it and buying another Sebenza 21, which is unfortunate because I was so excited to finally get an umnum.

I was in the same boat; until I realized the knife came with instructions on how to open it; you got to push up in the direction of the blade when it's open.
Of course when I finally figured it out I almost had separated my thumbnail from the flesh in my thumb, I had to stop trying for a couple of days.
As the guys say above, try using your nail; that is the way I flick it open; a more controlled push will open the blade slowly.
Look for the instructions in the box, it is illustrated in one of the papers it came with; our sissy thumbs have nothing to do with it. :)
Don't send it back yet, once you figure it out it will be one of your favorite blades, at least it is for me.
Good luck.

When opening, I simply push mine straight up, in line with the direction of the blade when opened. NOT out then up in a semicircular motion. TBH, I never had any issues with opening, but the unlocking part would start killing my thumb after a few times. That lockbar has a sharp hump on it (mine's 2011, if there's any difference). My thumb eventually developed a callous on it.

That said, I haven't carried or used mine in a few years, so my thumb has lost its Zaan conditioning. I've never had any trouble opening or closing my large Regular Seb, or my large or small Insingos. And my EDC is my large Insingo, because I prefer its simplicity, plus the fact that it doesn't have or need rubber O-rings. My O-rings became worn really quickly, with minimal use, and even though CRK sent me replacement O-rings, I find I prefer designs that don't require rubber parts.

Jim

Last edited:
Yup. It definitely takes some thumb conditioning with the Zaans first few of many sessions. The closing of it can be especially intrusive with that sharper lockbar edge just bearing it's titanium goodness into your thumb meat.
Just keep on working on that muscle memory and it will be a favourite in no time. :thumbup:

I'm in the group where I figured out how to open it smoothly and quickly without much effort almost right away.

But I never got used to unlocking the lock bar. I don't use any single knife long enoigh in my rotation to get a callous nor do I want one so I favoured the 25 and my Zaan went to a new home.

When opening, I simply push mine straight up, in line with the direction of the blade when opened. NOT out then up in a semicircular motion. TBH, I never had any issues with opening, but the unlocking part would start killing my thumb after a few times. That lockbar has a sharp hump on it (mine's 2011, if there's any difference). My thumb eventually developed a callous on it.

That said, I haven't carried or used mine in a few years, so my thumb has lost its Zaan conditioning. I've never had any trouble opening or closing my large Regular Seb, or my large or small Insingos. And my EDC is my large Insingo, because I prefer its simplicity, plus the fact that it doesn't have or need rubber O-rings. My O-rings became worn really quickly, with minimal use, and even though CRK sent me replacement O-rings, I find I prefer designs that don't require rubber parts.

Jim

To be fair to the Zaan, the design does not require rubber O-rings. The knife locks up the same without them. They are just a feature (designed by the Hawks) that allows you to deploy the knife in stealth mode, with the o-rings muffling the sound of the lock-up. I am not a huge Zaan-man, but have carried my 2008 model, with original O-Rings, for a few months over the last few years, and the rings were fine. Maybe your were not the original rings?

My Star-tac was a thumb destroyer for couple days then it magically broke in. The knife was opened a few hundred times before I achieved this nirvana. Great knife you have there, enjoy.

The zaan opens differently than a sebenza. The sebenza uses the wider arch opening while with the zaan you push towards the blade. Opens easy that way. I had several zaans with no issues. If you try opening it like a sebenza, it will hurt your thumb. Once you get the hang of it you will be like.... WOW

Zaans require practice and break in. I've owned the Umnumzaan on two separate occasions. The first Umnumzaan, I loosened the pivot slightly. The second Umnumzaan, I just toughed it out. I will say, with my first Umnumzaan, I did eventually tighten the pivot as my technique improved. Both knives were super smooth and flicked out fast.

It's a great knife. In my opinion, CRK's best.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Received an umnumzaan yesterday, and I'm having trouble opening and closing it. I have to use alot of thumb pressure on the thumbstud to break the detent, even though my fingers are not holding the lockbar. I find it easier to flick it out than to slowly push it out. My thumb pad hurts after playing with the knife after a short while.

Also the lockbar is very stiff when disengaging, and it's shredding my thumb. Is it supposed to be stiff out of the box or does it loosen up after breaking in? I've watched the ApostleP's video "umnumzaan tips for smooth operation" but it seems he can open and close it with such minimal effort!

Don't feel bad, bro

I've had this pain with three knives - Umnum, MT Socom Delta, ZT0560

Not only will you get more used to it but as you open it more and more it'll wear in quite nicely.

I've actually found the knives that start out with the strong detent end up being some of the very best once they're broke in.

Time to man up, Thumb!!!

***EDIT*** You can replicate actual use by just opening it and closing it 100 or so times. That'll wear it in even faster.

Yep, it will hurt for a while, but once she breaks in, it will be like butter...
like others have said make sure you are using the proper opening direction.

To be fair to the Zaan, the design does not require rubber O-rings. The knife locks up the same without them. They are just a feature (designed by the Hawks) that allows you to deploy the knife in stealth mode, with the o-rings muffling the sound of the lock-up. I am not a huge Zaan-man, but have carried my 2008 model, with original O-Rings, for a few months over the last few years, and the rings were fine. Maybe your were not the original rings?

The O-rings on mine were original. My Zaan was less than a month old when I received it in 2011. I bought it from an approved CRK dealer, too. Also, when I contacted CRK about it, I was told that the O-rings are necessary, not only to muffle the sound of it opening. I think the reason given was to lessen impact and wear between the studs and handle.

Jim

I recently got a Zaan off the exchange, and can confirm it was painful at first to open, and now it opens smoothly with a sliding motion of the thumb. This knife is great and even more special to me that the Birth card was on my Birthday. I like to hear the click on my Sebenzas, might remove the O-rings if its possible.

Dont want to sound "stale", as ive said this before, but go put your Umnumzaan away for about 3 days. After those 3 days, pick up the knife and enjoy:) Your thumbs will be all better.

I liken the experience of owning my umnumzaan to having our first child. It's a joy to have

At first it was a little rough to get broken into. Kinda tore my thumb up on the stud, and that little notch on the frame lock didn't really help matters either. In time I sort of got used to those sleepless nights and then they soon eventually faded out. The knife got much smoother and nights got much longer. Now it runs like a well oiled machine. I earned the right to have it and now I wouldn't trade it for the world.

(At some points in this strange middle of the night ramble I'm not sure if I'm describing the knife or the kid, but it seems the descriptions are pretty interchangeable.)

I eventually had another kid (2 boys: 2yrs and one 4months). Maybe it's a sign I need another Umnumzaan and some sleep

thank you guys, read through all your comments and I guess I just have to keep on using it! I'm sure i'll love after carrying it for a few weeks :D

Have you taken it apart, cleaned it and put fresh grease ?
I've got several Umnumzaan's and had to do this on two of them. It made a big difference. I've also backed off the pivot tension to the point where it's barely snug.
I just got a WC 25 that I'm gonna have to break down because it's not as smooth as my other 25's.
Life's too short to have a sore thumb. :)

Back