is a new umnumzaan supposed to destroy your thumb?

thank you guys, read through all your comments and I guess I just have to keep on using it! I'm sure i'll love after carrying it for a few weeks :D

Not a problem!

You'll love the Zaan once it's broke in. CRK makes a top notch knife. I haven't had a bad one yet.

Congrats and stay sharp,

Chris

Loosen the pivot and remove the pocket clip until it starts breaking in (every little bit helps).

Also, if your thumb is really hurting, set the knife down for a few days and carry something else. I had to repeat this a couple of times to get my Zaan and thumb accustomed to one another.

I couldn't move it all with my thumb. I worked it with two hands 130 times per CRK advice. Now it opens by thumb once every four or five tries. Today, I will loosen it up and see what happens. I had this once with a new BM940 that was so tight that it wouldn't open at all until I loosened the pivot.

I couldn't move it all with my thumb. I worked it with two hands 130 times per CRK advice. Now it opens by thumb once every four or five tries. Today, I will loosen it up and see what happens. I had this once with a new BM940 that was so tight that it wouldn't open at all until I loosened the pivot.
Are you using the method I posted in the video above? Yes they can be a little stiff when new but it shouldn’t be as difficult as you are describing. Loosening it up will make break in slower in my opinion. Unless your pivot is really over tightened. Follow the steps in this video to make sure your pivot is properly adjusted:

Two issues here. They are a bit stiff when new, and there is a bit of a learning curve as the technique used to open Umnumzaan's is a bit different from most other knives. Don't give up on it. Once they loosen up, and you learn the new opening method, they are great knives.

Back